Roy Halladay's plane crashes in Florida

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Planes are an expensive hobby.  A lot of sports personalities have died over the years by buying something that's too advanced, or too powerful for their limited flying abilities.

Flying is very risky, pilots are paid for the handling of dire emergencies that may occur on their watch.

I guess you make enough $$$$ and they let you be a pilot, or show-jumping like Christopher Reeves, or Elvis buys his black belt in Karate, or Charles Foster Kane promotes his bimbo as an opera diva.

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Flying is very risky, pilots are paid for the handling of dire emergencies that may occur on their watch.

I guess you make enough $$$$ and they let you be a pilot, or show-jumping like Christopher Reeves, or Elvis buys his black belt in Karate, or Charles Foster Kane promotes his bimbo as an opera diva.

Maybe in some cases, but I don't think it was like that I  this case. His father was a pilot and he was around it all the time. 

Also listening to the coaches GMs and players talk about him and his work ethic, he does not sound like someone who would take a short cut or the easy way out to get something.

I heard today that he may have had a medical emergency during the flight because there apparently wasn't a distress call that he had something wrong.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

I think this is a poorly placed, misguided, baseless and - in large part (the analogies are ridiculous) - irrelevant post.  Nice work!

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

They'll let you be a pilot too!  It's called flight school, and it's not reserved for only the wealthy. 

But yes, there is a risk associated with small private aircraft. 

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

Flying isn't "very risky" when done by people who know what they're doing.

I'm not sure what you mean when you claim that if "you make enough $$$$ they let you be a pilot."

You are tested and granted the certificate after a thorough practical exam and display of requisite skills.

Your net worth has zero to do with it.

This guy was flying a very low performance airplane. He had emailed his father that it was "like flying a fighter." 

That is a grossly uninformed viewpoint which I hope had noting to do with his accident, but I'm suspicious it did.

37 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I love how they just come up to the site and do nothing but stand there and video it. It wasnt deep water, no one thought to check and see if the pilot was still alive but maybe unconciius underneath?

8 hours ago, sherpa said:

Flying isn't "very risky" when done by people who know what they're doing.

I'm not sure what you mean when you claim that if "you make enough $$$$ they let you be a pilot."

You are tested and granted the certificate after a thorough practical exam and display of requisite skills.

Your net worth has zero to do with it.

This guy was flying a very low performance airplane. He had emailed his father that it was "like flying a fighter." 

That is a grossly uninformed viewpoint which I hope had noting to do with his accident, but I'm suspicious it did.

Where do most pilots learn to fly?  Usually the military, right?  Why?

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Classless M@ssholes

Watching too much:

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Boston DJs on in the afternoon said he deserved it. 

"Massarotti: “What bugs me about a story like this is when they use the word ‘tragedy.’ A tragedy is what happened at that church in Texas this past weekend, or an orphanage burning down. This? You know what the risks are! …If you’re a thrill-seeker and you die this way, you know the risks. It’s an unfortunate circumstance, not a tragedy.”

They do have valid points.

“It angers me. Someone, who, I don’t know, is so cavalier about life and just doesn’t appreciate the tenuousness of life and is willing to screw around with life and death? Especially when you have children, or a family?”

40 year old thrill seeker.  Yes, we all take risks.  Yes, it is sad.  It simply caught up with him.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Where do most pilots learn to fly?  Usually the military, right?  Why?

Actually the overwhelming majority of commercial aviators receive pilot licenses from civil aviation schools, not the military.