How much impact will Benjamin have Sunday?

JM2009

16 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

If anything, I hope his presence will stop other teams from putting 8 in the box

CBF

This is the first game all year the Bills will be fielding a WR that actually scares anyone. I’m assuming that will have *some* impact in how they need to defend us, regardless of what the box score says for KB. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

On 11/6/2017 at 10:00 AM, buffalo2218 said:

After watching what the Jets did to our O line, I'm not so sure. Benjamin isn't a speed guy and any big play to him will take time to develop. The Jets may have provided a blue print for every team we have left to play. Even with Benjamin, this team lacks some serious speed at the WR position.

The blueprint has always been there.  But other teams don't have the D-Line of the Jets coupled with the lack of energy by the Bills on a Thurs night.  The Bills will show up at home and be a different team than what we saw.  Just hope it's enough.  I think KB will catch 4-5 passes at most for modest yardage,  it would be great if one of those was a jump ball TD catch.

Tyrod is excited:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/what_tyrod_taylor_said_about_buffalo_bills_adding_kelvin_benjamin.html

"It's definitely big to get him," Taylor said. "He's a talented receiver and a big target for sure. He just has to continue to keep learning the playbook and the things that we're doing here. We have to find ways to give him opportunities to make plays."

If you look at the plays he's made over his career, he's definitely made a bunch of contested throws," Taylor said. "You just have to give him a chance in those opportunities when he's one-on-one with a DB. More times than likely he's going to have the size advantage. We've talked to try to get on the same page and it's going to to take reps, but just giving him the chance. It's his ball or nobody's ball."

Good to see Tyrod acknowledging what he needs to do with a 6’5 receiver on the field.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

This is a very talented receiving corps now (and will be even more so when Zay gets healthy).  There are no more excuses. 

It is ?

It's better in theory at one position.

But I bet you mean if KB gets enough respect it will help the other receivers and perhaps the play calling?

That might take a while. But I am all for it !

Are we talking "difference" or are we talking "production"? I think he definitely will make a difference, even if he doesn't put up numbers. I think him just being on the field opens up the run game for Shady, and gives opportunities to Matthews and Zay. They'll definitely have to respect our pass game a bit more than they might have otherwise.

2 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Are we talking "difference" or are we talking "production"? I think he definitely will make a difference, even if he doesn't put up numbers. I think him just being on the field opens up the run game for Shady, and gives opportunities to Matthews and Zay. They'll definitely have to respect our pass game a bit more than they might have otherwise.

If you don't like Sammy Watkins that can't happen. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

According to a bunch of people here that don't think Sammy is very good, they deny that kind of thing happens. 

Oh. haha. I think Sammy is good, but Benjamin will have a different effect. Doesn't mean Sammy isn't good. I DO think that Benjamin is a better fit for what we need as a team than Sammy was.

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

The blueprint has always been there.  But other teams don't have the D-Line of the Jets coupled with the lack of energy by the Bills on a Thurs night.  The Bills will show up at home and be a different team than what we saw.  Just hope it's enough.  I think KB will catch 4-5 passes at most for modest yardage,  it would be great if one of those was a jump ball TD catch.

....agree, but Dennison's game plan was more lethargic than a Jauron presser.......he had ZERO answers............sure as hell needs to be innovative versus NO because they haven't won 6 by accident....need to rough them up on the home turf.....

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

Oh. haha. I think Sammy is good, but Benjamin will have a different effect. Doesn't mean Sammy isn't good. I DO think that Benjamin is a better fit for what we need as a team than Sammy was.

I think this game will likely be a little different for KB because of Lattimore. Will be interesting to see what the Saints do about him. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I think this game will likely be a little different for KB because of Lattimore. Will be interesting to see what the Saints do about him. 

Honestly, for me, if Tyrod just throws it to him, KB can go up and get it. The issue is, that's not who Tyrod Taylor is. Call it what you will, but he doesn't throw it to guys unless they're reeeeeal open. Kelvin Benjamin isn't the kind of guy that gets real open. He doesn't get separation, he's just flat out bigger than you. It'll be interesting to see if TT can pull the trigger, even though he's covered, and let him just go up and get it.

21 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Honestly, for me, if Tyrod just throws it to him, KB can go up and get it. The issue is, that's not who Tyrod Taylor is. Call it what you will, but he doesn't throw it to guys unless they're reeeeeal open. Kelvin Benjamin isn't the kind of guy that gets real open. He doesn't get separation, he's just flat out bigger than you. It'll be interesting to see if TT can pull the trigger, even though he's covered, and let him just go up and get it.

...probably one of my usual asinine twists, but look beyond the size and attributes of Deonte and Benjamin for a nanosecond....if memory serves me, Thompson performed well during 2015 pre-season here only to be released due to injury settlement....maybe he likes the "homecoming" and sure as hell showed it in his debut....Benjamin reunites with Beane & McD at OBD.....and maybe he shows just how much that reunion means to his game on Sunday......seems like potential attitude intangibles that fit the McD mold......Deonte & TT were POSITIVELY reunited....maybe Benjamin & TT works the same.....hard to discount those potentials going forward into 2018 with roster decisions solely on money..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

49 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

It is ?

It's better in theory at one position.

But I bet you mean if KB gets enough respect it will help the other receivers and perhaps the play calling?

That might take a while. But I am all for it !

Yes it is.  It's better in the most important position: #1 WR.  That allows the other receivers, who aren't #1 WR's, to move to roles better suited for their talents.  KB brings the size, DT brings the speed, JM is the wily veteran in the slot.  Then on top of that you have Clay, who is a mismatch for LB's and S's.  Then to top it all off, you have Shady who is a dual threat.