2018 Rock and Roll HOF Voting Underway

20 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, he will. I don't like his music. Could care less about his Bills flirtation because he was never a threat, and all he wanted to do was own an NFL team without having the money to do it. A lot of people do like his music, which is understandable to a degree.

He would have been to the Bills ownership group what Jeter is the the Miami Marlins ownership group. A figurehead representing the actual owners with money invested

2 hours ago, billsintaiwan said:

Bon Jovi has no place in HOF. Ridiculous

Based on what?

They were in demand for 30 years and if they take Richie Sambora back, they could STILL sell out 20K seat arenas year round.

I don't like Bon Jovi's music, but I can't deny their talent (singing, guitar playing, popular song writing) and their longevity.

Any band that can stay relevant for as long as they have deserves recognition, whether it's this sham of a HOF, or something else.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Based on what?

They were in demand for 30 years and if they take Richie Sambora back, they could STILL sell out 20K seat arenas year round.

I don't like Bon Jovi's music, but I can't deny their talent (singing, guitar playing, popular song writing) and their longevity.

Any band that can stay relevant for as long as they have deserves recognition, whether it's this sham of a HOF, or something else.

I agree with this.  I am not a big fan but they have been contributors to the rock scene for decades.  Judging by the votes hey have received, we Bills fans are in a minority.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:53 PM, Gugny said:

The Cars are pure rock and roll.

Here are the top 5.  Bon Jovi and Moody Blues are distant #1 and 2 followed by

Dire Straits

The Cars

Judas Priest (with several acts hot on their heels)

Here is the link , there is still time to vote:

https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote

Edited by Billsfansinceday1

On 11/7/2017 at 12:34 PM, billsintaiwan said:

Bon Jovi has no place in HOF. Ridiculous

I'd like to agree...but fact is, with their longevity, influence, and popularity their induction is justified.

2 hours ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

I Geils is a nominee but not a top vote getter.  Jethro Tull not being a nominee is an atrocious injustice.

The good news is that Cheap Trick and Tupac are already in the HOF. ??

Well, Jethro Tull has a Heavy Metal Grammy going for them, so that's nice...

• Like (+1) 1

The Cars were my first favorite band as a kid and it is nice to see them nominated, but i don't think they really deserve to get in.  There music was fun, but did not exactly require an overwhelming amount of talent.

Dire Straits, on the other hand is almost a victim in that a lot of their commercial success came via MTV (Money for Nothing, etc.) although their primary work was far better and about as Rock and Roll as Roack and Roll can be.  Songs like Sultans, Tunnel of Love, Telegraph Road and Romeo and Juliet should have had them in the Hall a long time ago.  E

Even so, it is really Mark Knopfler that belongs as he was the singer, songwriter and guitarist for everything they did and a lot of band members changed over time.  His collaborations throughout his career are widely varied (Bob Dylan, Tina Turner, James Taylor, Van Morrison, Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton, Chet Atkins and many many others)  He has been covered by an equally diverse group (Indigo Girls, The Killers, Randy Travis, The Judds, Kenny Rogers, Metallica),  His post DS career outstanding.  He is absolutely one of the most talented musicians of the last 75 years.  If you don't realize it, listen to some of the post DS work or just look up the things he has done.

The HOF doesn't really mean much though, given who is already in.  Being a Bills fan I have no comment on Bon Jovi, but if Madonna is in, almost all of the bands mentioned in this thread need to be in 10 years ago.  

Edited by OGTEleven

• 4 weeks later...

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2018 FAN VOTE WINNERS:

Bon Jovi
Moody Blues
Dire Straits
The Cars
Judas Priest

Thank you fans for showing your support and voting! Each of the Fan Vote winners will receive an extra vote in the Official Vote. We'll be announcing the official Class of 2018 Inductees on Wednesday, December 13 at 7 a.m. EST. 

1 hour ago, Billsfansinceday1 said:

CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 2018 FAN VOTE WINNERS:

Bon Jovi
Moody Blues
Dire Straits
The Cars
Judas Priest

Thank you fans for showing your support and voting! Each of the Fan Vote winners will receive an extra vote in the Official Vote. We'll be announcing the official Class of 2018 Inductees on Wednesday, December 13 at 7 a.m. EST. 

If there was an actual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - not this sham that lets artists like Madonna and Tupac in (HOF?  Yes.  Rock and Roll?  Not even !@#$ing close) - all of these Fan Vote winners would be in, IMO.  It's a good list.  Personally, I've only ever owned albums by The Cars and Dire Straits.  But the others are very deserving, based on success and influence.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

If there was an actual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - not this sham that lets artists like Madonna and Tupac in (HOF?  Yes.  Rock and Roll?  Not even !@#$ing close) - all of these Fan Vote winners would be in, IMO.  It's a good list.  Personally, I've only ever owned albums by The Cars and Dire Straits.  But the others are very deserving, based on success and influence.

Moody Blues 7 core albums are top 5 for acts of the acid-tinged era.

Critics hated them, but they also told me there were at least a dozen bands that blew away Led Zeppelin's fraud of an act for albums I, II, and III.

I'd like the critics to refresh our memories on who those 12 bands were at the time...

38 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Moody Blues 7 core albums are top 5 for acts of the acid-tinged era.

Critics hated them, but they also told me there were at least a dozen bands that blew away Led Zeppelin's fraud of an act for albums I, II, and III.

I'd like the critics to refresh our memories on who those 12 bands were at the time...

Fraud of an act?  Please explain.  My guess is that you're referring to some of the Robert Johnson rips, but that wouldn't apply to Zep III, in the least.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Fraud of an act?  Please explain.  My guess is that you're referring to some of the Robert Johnson rips, but that wouldn't apply to Zep III, in the least.

Critics hated Led Zep their first years, I'm sure many have scrubbed or lost their putdowns.

The best was Playboy's review of The Beatles (White Album)  claiming there were 30 or so unmemorable tunes on it.  Also noted that Sergio Mendes was a genius...

Sit down that reviewer and ask how many tunes off the White Album aren't memorable all this time later by him...

Let's see...

Jimmy Page, around whom the Zeppelin revolves, is, admittedly, an extraordinarily proficient blues guitarist and explorer of his instrument's electronic capabilities. Unfortunately, he is also a very limited producer and a writer of weak, unimaginative songs, and the Zeppelin album suffers from his having both produced it and written most of it (alone or in combination with his accomplices in the group).

In their willingness to waste their considerable talent on unworthy material the Zeppelin has produced an album which is sadly reminiscent of Truth.

Edited by row_33