2018 Rock and Roll HOF Voting Underway

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Critics hated Led Zep their first years, I'm sure many have scrubbed or lost their putdowns.

The best was Playboy's review of The Beatles (White Album)  claiming there were 30 or so unmemorable tunes on it.  Also noted that Sergio Mendes was a genius...

Sit down that reviewer and ask how many tunes off the White Album aren't memorable all this time later by him...

Let's see...

Jimmy Page, around whom the Zeppelin revolves, is, admittedly, an extraordinarily proficient blues guitarist and explorer of his instrument's electronic capabilities. Unfortunately, he is also a very limited producer and a writer of weak, unimaginative songs, and the Zeppelin album suffers from his having both produced it and written most of it (alone or in combination with his accomplices in the group).

In their willingness to waste their considerable talent on unworthy material the Zeppelin has produced an album which is sadly reminiscent of Truth.

This was his review of Zep I.  I don't get the criticism for II, which is a much different album than their debut.  Zep III had absolutely nothing in common with Zep I, other than the band playing the tunes.

On 11/7/2017 at 10:13 AM, BuffaloBill said:

As time marches forward it is less clear what should be named Rock n Roll.  There has been a lot of crossover and blending of genres.   

Still, it is a crime that the Moody Blues are not already in.  They are clear RNR legends.   

No.  It's clear.  Lead guitar, bass, drums, and not always vocal arrangements.

And it all started with combining drums and lead electric guitar.

Big band set to the guitar.  Chuck Berry admitted it himself when he popularized it greatly. "It paid his bills." He simply took "his generation's music" and set it to lead guitar.  Drums/bass never really existed with the guitar until the advent of the electric guitar.  Prior to amplified strings, a rhythym section seldom co-existed in that combination because the drums over-powered the acoustic guitar, etc...

Again, what really is rock?  It is very clear.  It's almost any genre set with guitar, bass, vocal (not always necessary), & drums.  It took off with big band, western swing, boogie woogie, blues, later jazz (progressive) etc... etc.... being put to the sound.  A stripped down instrumental line-up w/a guitar as lead, along w/bass and drums is rock and roll.

Rhythm and lead ELECTRIC guitar.

Edit: Interesting, because you can easily throw the piano/synth in place of the guitar (still amplified string)... Bob Seger and Supertramp come to mind followed earlier by Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis...