Has anyone had an LED TV repaired?

Steptide

I'm a bit disappointed in Samsung. I purchased a 65" Samsung smart LED TV 3 years ago. Cost me $1600 new. I noticed last week their was a bright spot in the picture. Almost in the center of the screen. Best way I can describe it is that it looks like theirs a spotlight in the picture. It's very annoying

Spent 45 mins on the phone with Samsung technical support. Long story short, they told me it'd be better to just buy a new TV because it'd cost roughly $1000 to fix. Did some research on the internet and it seems to be that one of the backlight lenses fell off. Apparently this is a common issue with LG tvs. I called Samsung back to see if they could help me out, like with purchasing a new TV considering this TV is only 3 years old. They told me to call around and see if I could find someone to fix it cheaper. Wtf seriously? Way to stand behind your products Samsung.

So I found a local TV repair shop that seemed to be fairly familiar with the issue and they're taking a look at it. They advised me that because they basically have to take the entire TV apart to fix the issue, theirs a chance the TV may not turn on again after the repair. I've never had a TV repair done and jyst curious if anyone here has with newer tvs

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TV's these days are like disposable razors. I usually purchase a new one every 3-4 years, mostly because the technology quickly becomes outdated. I bought a 65" Vizeo LED 3 years ago, and none of the apps (YouTube, Amazon TV, Pandora) work anymore. Think I'm going to get myself a new one pretty soon.

as soon as i read the title of the thread, my first thought was just to buy a new one. i've had a few samsungs, and for the most part, they've been great...i just don't love the smart system on the tvs. it must have been a decent tv for that price at that size. we bought a new samsung 75 inch for our family room, and it was maybe 1800.

i have a tough time thinking that sucker is going back together same way. on a side note, if you do buy a new one, you can look into the 4k tvs. I just bought a 50 inch for my home office, and it's pretty badass. not the cheapest tv, but it's the best picture in the house.

as soon as i read the title of the thread, my first thought was just to buy a new one. i've had a few samsungs, and for the most part, they've been great...i just don't love the smart system on the tvs. it must have been a decent tv for that price at that size. we bought a new samsung 75 inch for our family room, and it was maybe 1800.

i have a tough time thinking that sucker is going back together same way. on a side note, if you do buy a new one, you can look into the 4k tvs. I just bought a 50 inch for my home office, and it's pretty badass. not the cheapest tv, but it's the best picture in the house.

Well that's my issue. I've been pricing new tvs and it's just annoying. I can get 50 or 55 inch 4k TV for anywhere from 700-1000 dollars. While that's a decent price compared to what I paid 3 years ago, they lack in other areas. My 65" has 4 hdmi inputs and 3 usb. Alot of the "cheaper" new 4k tvs have a max of 3 hdmi (sometimes 2) inputs. While I'm willing to go down a little bit in size, I cant live with only 2 hdmi inputs. 3 is tolerable. At the end of the day, I jyst really don't wanna spend that much money again

Well that's my issue. I've been pricing new tvs and it's just annoying. I can get 50 or 55 inch 4k TV for anywhere from 700-1000 dollars. While that's a decent price compared to what I paid 3 years ago, they lack in other areas. My 65" has 4 hdmi inputs and 3 usb. Alot of the "cheaper" new 4k tvs have a max of 3 hdmi (sometimes 2) inputs. While I'm willing to go down a little bit in size, I cant live with only 2 hdmi inputs. 3 is tolerable. At the end of the day, I jyst really don't wanna spend that much money again

it's tough to spend the money after investing in a tv a few years ago. if size isn't so much of an issue i bought the 50 inch version of this sony for my office: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_15849X900E/Sony-XBR-49X900E.html?tp=60890

mine has 4 hdmi, (not sure about the other inputs off the top of my head) and i love the picture. if anything it's almost too over the top, but it received such great reviews...especially for gaming if that matters.

I have an old 50" Samsung in my bedroom that I probably purchased 7-8 years ago. Still has the best picture in the house, IMO.

every other tv we have is a samsung. i like them because they have the spectrum app, meaning i can watch my cable feed without needing another cable box. is it mine, or does it take a while for the smart tv on those things to get going.

Are receivers really that outdated now? Why the need to have 3 to 4 HDMIs when you really need one? Oh well I guess I just am old school.

As with everyone else, it sucks that you have to spend more money on a TV after you just bought one three years ago. That sucks.

Tv at home has only two hdmi inputs, but I needed three, for a roku, DVD player, and cable box, so I bought a hdmi switch box. Later I discovered theres a Spectrum app for Roku, so that solved that issue. And we really havent turned on the DVD player in a couple years, might get rid of that too

We have a Mitsubishi LCD in the family room for about the last 8 years. About 18 months in had some kind of pixel issue, called Mitsubishi and they had someone come out and replace the entire front panel. The person who came out had been repairing TV's for like 3 months, was a simple matter of taking out and replacing some screws. Maybe replacing the panel is an option?

TV has been great ever since. Paid for a professional calibration when I bought the TV, and the picture is still great. Calibration was in the guts of the TV, so just carried over to new panel.

In terms of Samsung, been my goto for a long while TV wise, have a 55inch on the porch that has been outside for the last 5 years, never comes in, and doing just fine.

Are receivers really that outdated now? Why the need to have 3 to 4 HDMIs when you really need one? Oh well I guess I just am old school.

As with everyone else, it sucks that you have to spend more money on a TV after you just bought one three years ago. That sucks.

Well as far as hdmi inputs go, I have my directv box, blu ray player, chromecast and soundbar(which uses hdmi for the audio return channel).so that's 4 hdmi inputs I use. Like I said, I could get by with 3 seeing as I don't use the blu ray player all that often. The other 3 are necessity though

Well as far as hdmi inputs go, I have my directv box, blu ray player, chromecast and soundbar(which uses hdmi for the audio return channel).so that's 4 hdmi inputs I use. Like I said, I could get by with 3 seeing as I don't use the blu ray player all that often. The other 3 are necessity though

as just jack mentioned, try using a hdmi switcher, (not splitter) if you don't have enough inputs. the one i used was great, and would automatically recognize what device you were trying to use, and would bring it up on the tv. the only time i ever had to manually switch the setting was if two devices were running at once, and i wanted to switch between them. even for that there was a little remote. 50 bucks maybe.

as just jack mentioned, try using a hdmi switcher, (not splitter) if you don't have enough inputs. the one i used was great, and would automatically recognize what device you were trying to use, and would bring it up on the tv. the only time i ever had to manually switch the setting was if two devices were running at once, and i wanted to switch between them. even for that there was a little remote. 50 bucks maybe.

Not a bad idea. Gonna wait to hear back from the repair shop today or tomorrow and see what happens.

I guess a HDMI switcher is the modern version of a receiver (minus the sound system). Do the sound bars really work all that well? (If they do, why don't they have multiple inputs for HDMI, with one back for screen?)

I guess a HDMI switcher is the modern version of a receiver (minus the sound system). Do the sound bars really work all that well? (If they do, why don't they have multiple inputs for HDMI, with one back for screen?)

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Sound bars are not theater sound, but do typically sound much better than the average new flat panel TV. If your sound bar has an ARC input, which uses hdmi, then everything that goes through your tv goes through your sound bar. Think of it as a speaker extention for your TV by plugging it into your TV via an hdmi cable. It also eliminates using 2 remotes (one for the cable box and one for the sound bar). ARC basically turns your sound bar into your TV speakers. Once I got a sound bar with ARC, I could never go back