Can ESPN afford to renew MNF contract in 2021?

/dev/null

That's a really interesting article, thx for posting. Only thing if fails to address is the revenue stream from ad sales. I mean NBC makes money and i think their carriage fees are much less no?

So if the primetime games go to Tech, wonder if all games could and does that mean DTV starts to get hurt as well?

The part about them being middle man content renters like Blockbuster is really the part that illuminates the issue pretty well.

But as games get scattered to Twitter and Amazon etc... I think it is a short term gain for the NFL and long term decline. Like the NHL being booted to the Outdoor network - having "prime time" games on non-prime time outlets really hits at the image IMO.

I do not believe the NFL is going to bring back viewers they have lost just based on people I know that won't come back. Maybe Amazon can show where they can limit how many additional viewers they lose by using their relationship with their customers. I do not see this working out awfully well for the NFL. Just like players that didn't want to make sure the strength of contracts were there for future players these players that are protesting now do not care about the future of the NFL existing as it does now.

My thoughts on this

Amazon viewership will be but a fraction of a cable TV's audience. ESPN cable isn't available to millions (?) of people, Amazon has to be less than ESPN.

Yep, but owners only care about money and if Amazon pays, they'll take it

That's a really interesting article, thx for posting. Only thing if fails to address is the revenue stream from ad sales. I mean NBC makes money and i think their carriage fees are much less no?

So if the primetime games go to Tech, wonder if all games could and does that mean DTV starts to get hurt as well?

Great point on NBC. Remember however that NBC is owned by Comcast, whom has many other cash gushing revenue streams to balance out any possible softness across their, Comcast, other Lines Of Business's including NBC.

Another point of consideration here is that there are now to many media vehicles to watch games on. Meaning that maybe fans are saying "enough football is enough". Thursday -> then Sunday 9:30 when playing in London, 1:00, 4:00 8:30 -> then Monday night. Across ESPN, NBC, CBS, FOX, Yahoo, Amazon, Directv and on and on.

In many ways, I'm ok with this.

the NFL is reaping what it's sown with ****ty rules enforcement, grabbing for dollars, holding cities hostage and finally not quashing the anthem protests.

If anyone thinks it's ALL about the protests, they're deluding themselves. I'd say the first three factors listed above have a larger role in the whole thing.

The part about them being middle man content renters like Blockbuster is really the part that illuminates the issue pretty well.

But as games get scattered to Twitter and Amazon etc... I think it is a short term gain for the NFL and long term decline. Like the NHL being booted to the Outdoor network - having "prime time" games on non-prime time outlets really hits at the image IMO.

The NFL may be on a decline at the moment but that will level at some point and still be pretty high. The days of network and cable TV dominating NFL rights are over. DirecTV is in business because they own that contract. Don't expect them to have it when it runs out.

Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Verizon, et al. are set to be big time players for NFL rights. The future of all media, including live events, is streaming. That's not an "image hit." It's a sea change regarding content delivery.

Edited by BeginnersMind

First off, no broken heart if ESPN no longer carries football, much less exist. I don't need every sport turned into hip hop culture and screaming hot takes. When I get stuck watching it in an office waiting room, I'm subjected to this garbage: an assist in hockey being called a dime (stupid) and a wrist shot called by a female broadcaster a one-timer. Put woman on because their attractive and dress them scantily, this is what you get... turned off viewers. Second, the NFL would be insane to go to all streaming service. First, service isn't great in a lot of places, even in cities and suburbs and even worse of non-existent in many rural communities. If the object is to get more viewers, this is the wrong way to do it.

The NFL has bigger problems than a TV contract.

First off, no broken heart if ESPN no longer carries football, much less exist. I don't need every sport turned into hip hop culture and screaming hot takes. When I get stuck watching it in an office waiting room, I'm subjected to this garbage: an assist in hockey being called a dime (stupid) and a wrist shot called by a female broadcaster a one-timer. Put woman on because their attractive and dress them scantily, this is what you get... turned off viewers. Second, the NFL would be insane to go to all streaming service. First, service isn't great in a lot of places, even in cities and suburbs and even worse of non-existent in many rural communities. If the object is to get more viewers, this is the wrong way to do it.

They won't. Yet. But expect them to offer a streaming package soon with some games being stream only.

I stream the Sunday Ticket through my AppleTV (I can't get satellite where I live). I watch all the games every Sunday. It's amazing.

The NFL will be the slowest to adapt because they are a battleship of money and culture, but they will.

Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Verizon, et al. are set to be big time players for NFL rights. The future of all media, including live events, is streaming. That's not an "image hit." It's a sea change regarding content delivery.

Maybe but a complete elimination of DirectTV and cable is unlikely. First, as I mentioned above, there's not enough coverage and likely bandwidth in many places. High speed exists in huge markets, but in smaller markets not s much. About 20% of the population is rural, many with freakin dial up internet or limited access. Those people use DirectTV and Dish to a very high degree. The point is, it's not a black and white, either or but rather a complete coverage approach. I would expect the NFL to try and divvy up its coverage across multiple platforms.

Unlimited data plans for cell service with better networks might be the real game changer, especially as a way to connect the rural communities where laying physical infrastructure is extremely costly on a per customer basis.

ABC - ESPN's parent company really screwed the pooch when they changed MNF from ABC to the ESPN sports network ! I can't remember the last time i watched MNF !!

When AL left he took all the good stuff including himself to SNF which because of the move has made it (SNF) the game of the week & ABC along with ESPN r sucking hind t*# on this one !!

And they don't like it !! Hey if your gonna be dumb you got to be tough !!! :wallbash:

Edited by T master

the almighty dollar. Does Amazon have commercials?

What would they do during all those commercial breaks?

They can very easily insert ads into their streams. Ads that you can't fast forward. Ads that are tailored to the viewer.

Some sites already inert ads into their streams

Some sites gives the viewer the option to skip shorter random ads in exchange for a longer interactive ad where the viewer has to rate the ad for content and interest in the product