This DL is in shambles

GreggTX

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the situation is that dire but with or without Dareus this defense has always been smoke and mirrors and certainly trending in the wrong direction the last few weeks.

I'll be very surprised if we do hold the Raiders to under 30 points and Carr has less than 300 yards tomorrow, don't see it happening though.

Gonna be tough in a rain storm for Oakland.They are bad against the run. The Bills are not.

You posted the stats not me, it's 100% the worst and wrong way to evaluate a DT. Not sure how Mario got brought into the topic? A DE and DT is like comparing a O-line man to a TE.

You need to understand the term Anchor for a DT. if your bored go google HOF DT and look up your all important tackle stat. You will see they might average 40-50 tackles a year. Basing tackles to a DT as an important stat is flat out wrong.

8 x 16/6 = 21, not 40 or 50, which makes him a half-assed tackle.

Dareus had 22 tackles after 6 games in 2014 and 8 after the 1st 6 this year and the reason is clear;

he has become fat, lazy, doesn't hustle and is rarely in the play. 22 in 2014 vs 8 now.

Sure. Tackles don't count for a DT. Yup, ok.

One bag of sand would have tripped up 4 RBs. Dareus is two bags, thus 8 tackles.

Linval Joseph (32)

Damon Harrison (32) (6' 3", 341 lbs --- bout the same as Dareus)

Brockers

Pierce

Casey

Logan

Ellis

Brown

Clark

Reader

Suh

Goldman

Mitchell

Jarrett

Atkins

Hankins

Short

Coley

Hargreave

Reed

Peko

McCoy

Woods

Zettel

Tomlinson

Mebane

McLendon

Robinson

34 year old KW

Sims

Donald

Jones

Stephen

All of the above have 16 or more and a couple of them have > 30.

Yeah, tackles matter. Beating your man and making plays matter and making more plays is what got him a big contract.

Making fewer plays (along with a 1/2 assed attitude) is what got his butt pushed out of here.

Right now he is 67th amongst DTs.

If he was top 10, you bet your ass he'd still be here, because tackles are a clear indicator that you play hard every play and all the way to the whistle.

It seems Jacksonville inherited all dead space that Dareus would have caused us, so I like this move. Still, our DL looks really bad right now.

Hughes is having his best season to date, but Kyle is nowhere near probowl caliber any more. Shaq is a real disappointment thus far and our remaining DT's are just dumpster diver quality. At LB, Lorenzo is the only LB having a decent season and Lorenzo's play has also fallen off. Our defense may struggle as we near the end of the season. They've looked pretty soft these last 2 games anyways.

How is our cap space looking now?

Are we watching the same team?

Dareus had his best season in 2014, not because of Marrone, but because a younger, healthier, more motivated (i.e., pre-outrageous contract) version of him was being used properly by DC Jim Schwartz. Good luck reproducing that in Jax. All he is gonna do is be a rotational player who winds up pissing off the other D-linemen with the same garbage. Just watch.

8 x 16/6 = 21, not 40 or 50, which makes him a half-assed tackle.

Dareus had 22 tackles after 6 games in 2014 and 8 after the 1st 6 this year and the reason is clear;

he has become fat, lazy, doesn't hustle and is rarely in the play. 22 in 2014 vs 8 now.

Sure. Tackles don't count for a DT. Yup, ok.

One bag of sand would have tripped up 4 RBs. Dareus is two bags, thus 8 tackles.

Linval Joseph (32)

Damon Harrison (32) (6' 3", 341 lbs --- bout the same as Dareus)

Brockers

Pierce

Casey

Logan

Ellis

Brown

Clark

Reader

Suh

Goldman

Mitchell

Jarrett

Atkins

Hankins

Short

Coley

Hargreave

Reed

Peko

McCoy

Woods

Zettel

Tomlinson

Mebane

McLendon

Robinson

34 year old KW

Sims

Donald

Jones

Stephen

All of the above have 16 or more and a couple of them have > 30.

Yeah, tackles matter. Beating your man and making plays matter and making more plays is what got him a big contract.

Making fewer plays (along with a 1/2 assed attitude) is what got his butt pushed out of here.

Right now he is 67th amongst DTs.

If he was top 10, you bet your ass he'd still be here, because tackles are a clear indicator that you play hard every play and all the way to the whistle.

Dareus 2014 Snap Count %: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DareMa00/fantasy/2014

Dareus 2017 Snap Count %: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DareMa00/fantasy/2017

Take a look at the difference in snap counts for the two years in addition to missing one game in 2017 that account for lower numbers. Your point about being fat and lazy doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

When I see people posting tackles as the end all for DT's stats they have zero idea what a DT is.

It's not an end-all but it's certainly a big portion of it. That's what elite DT's do, they disrupt and make a living in opposing offenses backfield. We haven't seen that from Dareus in years.

Reminds me of all the Sammy defenders who continue to make excuses for his lack of production. Every year it's a new excuse.

Edited by Magox

Just traded a problematic, rotational, 2 down NT that was a $100 million mistake.

The Bills will be ok this season as long as they can stay healthy. C.Thornton was a great pick up.

Have to think the Bills will take two or three players in the 2018 draft to address the DL though.

I don't think the situation is that dire but with or without Dareus this defense has always been smoke and mirrors and certainly trending in the wrong direction the last few weeks.

I'll be very surprised if we do hold the Raiders to under 30 points and Carr has less than 300 yards tomorrow, don't see it happening though.

I'm concerned about you man. With my post history that should be clear sarcasm.

Because of Dareus-very doubful. The rain on Sunday plus Oakland's bad defense will be a big factor too.

Sigh. Now I'm concerned about you too.

You just continue to post terribly...