Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

It was two years ago and prosecutors haven't even decided what to do yet. But put it this way, his own Police Chief publicly said criminal charges should be filed against him, and the city has offered $4m to the family to settle it.

cities, municipalities Etc offer money to make things disappear. There's a lot of evidence that shows these types of settlements do not admit guilt, and are just made because of insurance companies in liability laws that factored in many variables, it's all a big mess. And the police chief can say whatever you want. But he has no Authority to make such calls, that's how our system works.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cities, municipalities Etc offer money to make things disappear. There's a lot of evidence that shows these types of settlements do not admit guilt, and are just made because of insurance companies in liability laws that factored in many variables, it's all a big mess. And the police chief can say whatever you want. But he has no Authority to make such calls, that's how our system works.

Just keep your head in the sand, dude. The Police Commission reviewing it said charges should be filed against him too.

Nothing but accusations and personal attacks from you. Why so defensive? If you were truly on the right side of the argument you would be able to rely on data to back up your claim. I've provided data showing the training durations for cops in the US, others have posted detailed write ups concerning police killings, and I provided a video example. Each one seems to get you more defensive about your take and only results in you making assumptions about who I am and what I believe.

I don't have any subtext here. I've laid it all out there pretty definitively. I believe that the police force attracts thugs, I believe they murder minorities and even white people when other means (including tasers) are widely available to them, and I believe it is a problem caused both by a lack of training and the lack of appeal to higher income earners. Most of that has data to back it up that has been provided, and the thug bit is my own personal bias from my experience.

I know I am on the right side of the argument and no data is required to arrive at that conclusion. Ive read plenty on the subject and don't need any more. Training has little to do with the very rare instances of Police shootings. It's usually an error on the part of the subject. There will always be exceptions and that is what the media will focus on. Obviously believing that Police are thugs is such an asinine assertion it deserves no credence. A higher salary will not increase one's nerve or heart or bravery. That is not really an issue either. Comparing the US to a country where gun violence amongst citizens is very rare is a classic apples to oranges type deal. I've met plenty of Cops and haven't come across any I would remotely describe as thugs. Maybe things are different in Texas. It wouldn't shock me. If your takes are idiotic I will describe them as such. It's nothing personal, trust me.

Just keep your head in the sand, dude. The Police Commission reviewing it said charges should be filed against him too.

that's nice, but it's not how the system works. After the executive branch of the law enforcement section enforces the law it then goes to the executive branch of the prosecutorial section which must balance its duties against the judicial system.

Charges being filed and being found guilty are not the same though. Sometimes charges are justified and they are brought. Cops have to follow the rules too. Not sure what the issue is except a few jocks think all white people are racist.

I know I am on the right side of the argument and no data is required to arrive at that conclusion. Ive read plenty on the subject and don't need any more. Training has little to do with the very rare instances of Police shootings. It's usually an error on the part of the subject. There will always be exceptions and that is what the media will focus on. Obviously believing that Police are thugs is such an asinine assertion it deserves no credence. A higher salary will not increase one's nerve or heart or bravery. That is not really an issue either. Comparing the US to a country where gun violence amongst citizens is very rare is a classic apples to oranges type deal. I've met plenty of Cops and haven't come across any I would remotely describe as thugs. Maybe things are different in Texas. It wouldn't shock me. If your takes are idiotic I will describe them as such. It's nothing personal, trust me.

The biggest problem I have is that you're saying they are rare, and trying to make it seem like it isn't a problem. Roughly 1000 people were killed by police each year for the last 3 years. I'm guessing the number isn't lower going further back That's not rare at all, especially when compared with rates in other developed countries.

Charges being filed and being found guilty are not the same though. Sometimes charges are justified and they are brought. Cops have to follow the rules too. Not sure what the issue is except a few jocks think all white people are racist.

and charges being filed are just like officials throwing a flag on a questionable first down conversion. It gives them a mulligan in case they were right or wrong. Requesting charges just means that there's a second hand look that can take the pressure off the police Department because it commissioner or captain or other such things could just be too kitty to call it as he sees it.

Seriously, it's why big plays often find a way to get flag the NFL, people don't have balls and it's easier to explain it when you can say oh well we reviewed it and somebody else confirmed it too

The biggest problem I have is that you're saying they are rare, and trying to make it seem like it isn't a problem. Roughly 1000 people were killed by police each year for the last 3 years. I'm guessing the number isn't lower going further back That's not rare at all, especially when compared with rates in other developed countries.

my God you're dense. It is rare. 1000 people and how many instances of police interacting with anyone? How many times did police interact with suspects or those who might be violent? How many times did police have to draw their weapons? How many times did they fire? Of all of those cases which you could add up for what police did right you focus on some of those that are the cases of Michael Brown or Tamir rice etc. Both of which were 100% Justified.

Saying these people got shot doesn't include the attack police? Do they have it coming? Why were they shot... Plus you can look at the racial makeup of them, most of them are white... But we're not going to worry about them. And then we can balance all of those guys to all the victims in shootings across the country in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc etc

You wonder why minorities have problems with you Racist Deniers. His own guys are saying he did it. It was an unarmed homeless man. The cop's partner at the scene in the same incident said he didn't see what the cop said happened. The video showed what the cop said happened didn't happen. The Police Chief recommended charges. The Police Commision did an extensive investigation and recommended charges. The cop had two other criminal charges against him plus was just charged with domestic violence against two different women while on leave.

and charges being filed are just like officials throwing a flag on a questionable first down conversion. It gives them a mulligan in case they were right or wrong. Requesting charges just means that there's a second hand look that can take the pressure off the police Department because it commissioner or captain or other such things could just be too kitty to call it as he sees it.

Seriously, it's why big plays often find a way to get flag the NFL, people don't have balls and it's easier to explain it when you can say oh well we reviewed it and somebody else confirmed it too

my God you're dense. It is rare. 1000 people and how many instances of police interacting with anyone? How many times did police interact with suspects or those who might be violent? How many times did police have to draw their weapons? How many times did they fire? Of all of those cases which you could add up for what police did right you focus on some of those that are the cases of Michael Brown or Tamir rice etc. Both of which were 100% Justified.

Saying these people got shot doesn't include the attack police? Do they have it coming? Why were they shot... Plus you can look at the racial makeup of them, most of them are white... But we're not going to worry about them. And then we can balance all of those guys to all the victims in shootings across the country in places like Chicago, Detroit, etc etc

How is it dense to suggest that per capita the chance of being killed by a cop int he US is 3x what it is in canada or england. Are cops interacting with their citizens 3x less? Also worth mentioning those two countries rates are high when compared with other developed nations

It's extremely rare in a nation of 340 plus million. Out of millions of encounters between Police and citizens . In a country filled with gun violence. You seem to discount that heavily in how that plays into these unfortunate situations where a weapon must be fired. In the US every situation has to be considered as one where the subject may be armed. That isn't common in other countries where there are less weapons owned by the populace. You are correct that the number of shootings is around a thousand per annum, and has held fairly steady at that number. In my opinion that is very low, and the odds if it happening to any individual is very low. Especially if they simply follow instructions which many Americans are just too hostile to manage. There are many cultural differences between US citizens and those in other countries in my experience. in other countries I've visited I've often been struck by how much nicer everyone is . Purely anecdotal evidence but it's been my experience. People in the US are often rude and aggressive especially to law enforcement.

You wonder why minorities have problems with you Racist Deniers. His own guys are saying he did it. It was an unarmed homeless man. The cop's partner at the scene in the same incident said he didn't see what the cop said happened. The video showed what the cop said happened didn't happen. The Police Chief recommended charges. The Police Commision did an extensive investigation and recommended charges. The cop had two other criminal charges against him plus was just charged with domestic violence against two different women while on leave.

So it sounds like charges will be filed. What's the issue?

How is it dense to suggest that per capita the chance of being killed by a cop int he US is 3x what it is in canada or england. Are cops interacting with their citizens 3x less? Also worth mentioning those two countries rates are high when compared with other developed nations

3 times more likely? That could be many many things and that's not the point of this conversation. There's nothing McNair said that was talking about police violence or refuting that I'm sorry, he was simply saying that these players are bringing the game down

It's not dense. It's a by product of a violent , angry and gang influenced street culture in the US. That's what US Cops are dealing with, and thus more shootings will happen. Those countries also have a much smaller population.

Edited by Boatdrinks

So it sounds like charges will be filed. What's the issue?

No one knows. They are just dragging their feet and the natives are getting restless.

The Police Commission ruled that eight shootings by cops in LA last year were unjustified. The Police Chief disagreed with three of them, so I assume he agreed with five. It's very rare, as there are millions of times a year the LAPD has contact with the public. But it's still eight totally unjustified shootings. The most in a decade. And that's the number from the cops policing themselves, of course. Not an outside arbiter.

No one knows. They are just dragging their feet and the natives are getting restless.

The Police Commission ruled that eight shootings by cops in LA last year were unjustified. The Police Chief disagreed with three of them, so I assume he agreed with five. It's very rare, as there are millions of times a year the LAPD has contact with the public. But it's still eight totally unjustified shootings. The most in a decade. And that's the number from the cops policing themselves, of course. Not an outside arbiter.

dragging their feet? Is that a bad thing, because I'm not sure. Don't we want a fair trial?

At the owners meetings

https://amp.usatoday.com/story/806600001/

@adamschefter

Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins absence from practice today was related to Bob McNairs comments, per source.

Texans players wanted to walkout today in response to owner Bob McNairs comments, per @sarahbarshop. Had to be persuaded to stay.

Common saying. But of course miscronstrued by the undereducated crybaby players.

Dumb dumb players..He didn't literally call you inmates.

Not going to class and never reading a book has its downside.

I'm not sure if by unjustified they mean criminal. For example I watched the Philando Castile dash cam video. I do not believe the Officers reaction was justified, but it wasn't criminal either. I can't really comment on the LA shootings as I'm not sure of the details or what the terms mean. But there is a process that's followed and ther just aren't enough of these shootings to be considered much of a problem or something that is likely to affect many people. Gang violence and murders among other things seem to be far worse of a problem in society today. It seems an odd thing to focus on because it is so rare. It seems so much more about who is doing the shooting than who is being shot, you know? Misplaced outrage in my opinion. It's part of what makes it so annoying. Then players comparing their " cause" to supporting breast cancer awareness. I mean, one in eight women will be affected by breast cancer. Now that's a high percentage.