Cover 1 Breaks Down the Crack Toss

The reason Dawkins subbed at guard, not Groy

When Richie Incognito had to step out of Sunday’s game after getting his ankle rolled when he got cut by a Bucs defender, there looked like there was a decision to be made as both Ryan Groy and Dion Dawkins looked to the offensive staff to see who would sub in for the Pro Bowl guard. Eventually it was Dawkins, who would go in to play most of the rest of the series for Incognito. But that decision was more a matter of rule following than preference.

Because these guys have the highest level jobs in the NFL you expect them to know all these obscure rules but at least it's good to know they remembered this one and didn't put Groy in. I remember thinking what are they putting Dawkins in for, he's probably never played LG in a game before. Then saw him make the great pull and block and then figured they put him in because they knew he was going to pull and could do it well. Interesting that it was the rule.

Great blocks by the lineman. However, what is overlooked by us casual observers is Thompson's block on the DE. The analysis explains that Kaelin Clay had been asked to make this block in the past few weeks and failed. Thompson, on the other hand, makes the block look easy and takes the DE 5 yards into the backfield after Shady goes by.

Thompson has a ton more value than just his connection with Tyrod.

I would like to see Dawkins at RG as welll. Some LT have made the transition from LT to RG seemlessly. Scherff from the Skins comes to mind.

He looks to be strong enough to hold up on the inside as well. Now that Henderson is back, maybe we could start Dawkins as the RG and let Henderson play swing tackle. If it all works out maybe they can release Ducasse and have Miller as depth on the inside? Just an idea. Who knows maybe that sticks. But I like what I've seen so far from the rookie, not easy to jump in at LT in your first season in the NFL against the talented D-lines they have faced so far.

Great blocks by the lineman. However, what is overlooked by us casual observers is Thompson's block on the DE. The analysis explains that Kaelin Clay had been asked to make this block in the past few weeks and failed. Thompson, on the other hand, makes the block look easy and takes the DE 5 yards into the backfield after Shady goes by.

Thompson has a ton more value than just his connection with Tyrod.

I was very impressed with Thompson's block. This was a DE that he was manhandling and I am sure that the DE's coach will be pointing this out in post game review.

Chan Gailey used to use the crack toss a LOT--that's one of the reasons that he liked Donald Jones and David Nelson as WRs.

Both were very good blockers.

He looks to be strong enough to hold up on the inside as well. Now that Henderson is back, maybe we could start Dawkins as the RG and let Henderson play swing tackle. If it all works out maybe they can release Ducasse and have Miller as depth on the inside? Just an idea. Who knows maybe that sticks. But I like what I've seen so far from the rookie, not easy to jump in at LT in your first season in the NFL against the talented D-lines they have faced so far.

They are not releasing Ducasse. The coaching staff and professional rating services think he is doing a good job in THIS scheme despite what some very vocal fans have been saying.

Chan Gailey used to use the crack toss a LOT--that's one of the reasons that he liked Donald Jones and David Nelson as WRs.

we took a step back to go the same direction as we did a few years ago when we had Kroner running the OL

If Dawkins can move inside to RG and use his mobility than we could find a hidden gem. I worry about his shear strength in the run game and home his ability to move his feet can make up for it. Otherwise with him at RG infest some of the drive blocks we need.

I do see DiMarco able to continue to succeed with Dawkins better than others because Dawkins can get out of the way allowing for a better lead block. Even if that means Dawkins blows coverage.

I dont know if we will see Dawkins at RG...a rookie like him, having to learn LT/RT and now G? I just dont see the staff doing that with him on a permanent basis.

Do you see him as a guard or a Tackle moving forward? Because we have the depth at tackle as of right now with Henderson back. I know a mid-season switch is less than ideal but I think he is a guard moving forward. Why not switch him and give him more experience now so he has some before next season? Might just be me wanting to see the youngster take over a position on the line and cement it but I think there is some potential there.

Do you see him as a guard or a Tackle moving forward? Because we have the depth at tackle as of right now with Henderson back. I know a mid-season switch is less than ideal but I think he is a guard moving forward. Why not switch him and give him more experience now so he has some before next season? Might just be me wanting to see the youngster take over a position on the line and cement it but I think there is some potential there.

I think he was drafted to play tackle and that's the position he plays moving forward. Unless injuries/future drafts changes that. I have been wrong before but I think the staff views him as a tackle, and the way he handled himself at LT in Glenns absence leads me to believe nothing has changed in their minds.

They are not releasing Ducasse. The coaching staff and professional rating services think he is doing a good job in THIS scheme despite what some very vocal fans have been saying.

I hate Ducasse and I like Miller.... but Miller was really struggling through 4 games in this scheme. Vlad has had 1 game below average and 1 game right about average so far. Of the two he has played better when in. I don't like it but it's true.