McD looked pissed after the first question of the PC

You bring up a fascinating issue regarding how a team is built. The Bills have a number of picks in the first three rounds. Will one of them be used for a qb and playmakers on offense such as a number#1 receiver? If the franchise uses most of its primary picks to bolster the defense rather than address the offense then the comparison to a Jauron philosophy to football is fair, although the individual styles and personalities are different.

So far I like what McDermott has accomplished. One play stuck with me on how he is fully engaged and detailed oriented. One of our DBs unnecessarily hit the receiver when he was out of bounds. It wasn't an egregious act but the timing was very bad. The player came out and was called over by the coach. The coach wasn't yelling or making a scene. But it was very obvious that he was getting his point across that what the player did was irresponsible. This is good coaching.

Team building isn't a linear process and I'll be interested to see how this administration spends it's draft capital moving forward. We need football players on both sides of the ball and I suspect taking best players early, regardless of position, is how it will shake out. I also think Polian's formula applies today (with perhaps RB and WR being flipped) and that is, if it was a linear process and you could build a team based on order of positional importance, it would be:

QB

DE

LT

RB

WR

I agree with your observations on McD style with players. He seems to understand that coaching is one giant teachable moment. The example you point out is a good one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great QBs can let a coach's imagination run wild.

Taylor played a good game. Not taking anything away from him. However, Winston looked really good in that game. He has a lot of weapons on offense and he has the ability to maximize their talents.

Taylor played a good game. Not taking anything away from him. However, Winston looked really good in that game. He has a lot of weapons on offense and he has the ability to maximize their talents.

I'm not taking anything away from TT either with my comment about great QBs. He's not a great QB, that's all. There's no shame in that; there are only a handful in the league as it is.

It is because after the games when asked questions mcdermott says we will have to look at te tape and get better.dick jauron said the very same thing at every press conference

and so did Rex and probably several other HCs.

Ive seen quite a few comparisons to Jauron and I just dont see it...at all. He is much more animated, Jauron just seemed like he didnt give a damn. Hated DJ and love the McCoach.

McDermott is like Jauron as Rex is like Vince Lombardi.

I have heard this a few times. How does he remind you of ol' Dickless?

Fixed for you.

Ive seen quite a few comparisons to Jauron and I just dont see it...at all. He is much more animated, Jauron just seemed like he didnt give a damn. Hated DJ and love the McCoach.

You are right in saying their intensities are different, but I do see a lot of comparisons when it comes to managing the Football game

I didnt see the PC, did anyone ask 1) who called that play at the end of the first half 2) who blow the coverage on Howard for that long TD pass.

And noting was me painful that a Dick Jauron PC, especially after one of those thrilling 20-13 loss where we punted well.

Yes,

1) McDermott said end of half was on him, he thought he could get three plays in.

2) Skirted around it, said they'd have to watch film. However, in post game interviews Lorenzo Alexander said it was on him.

But the question is legit. They did get away with one. Missed Field goal, bad two minute drive, costly fumble and down 7 with three minutes to go. I dont see anything wrong with that question. If you guys dont think they stole this game, I guess you will never think that!

But the question is legit. They did get away with one. Missed Field goal, bad two minute drive, costly fumble and down 7 with three minutes to go. I dont see anything wrong with that question. If you guys dont think they stole this game, I guess you will never think that!

I am sure you think Uncle Sully deserves a Pulitzer for every column. Make sure you come back and remind us when he gets one. Remember that ball hair is a choking hazard.

Silly comparison.

McDermott has a commanding presence that the players can respect.

Jauron couldn't inspire a starving lion to eat a plate of prime rib.

I'm concerned about McDermott's game management skills but nothing else.

I think you are misremembering Jauron. His players liked him and played hard for him. They respected him.

Even TO respected him.

The comparison is as someone else put it, fairly conservative, "It's hard to win in the NFL speak (McD said it in the PC yesterday), rely on good defense and don't turn the ball over.

McD is a bit more aggressive with the FG attempts from distance and trying to score before the half.

That is called winning in the NFL. Most teams have a turnover a game, a missed FG or XP, and not every drive results in points.

If they had blown a 28 point lead and won the game on a missed FG late in the game that would be getting away with one

Shame on Sully for asking a worthwhile question...given the flow of the fourth quarter. What do you Sully haters have to say about his column in the BN this AM? Must be something in there you can hate on, eh?

Won't pay a nickel to read his stuff. You can read archives for the last ten years, they are all the same

I am sure you think Uncle Sully deserves a Pulitzer for every column. Make sure you come back and remind us when he gets one. Remember that ball hair is a choking hazard.

I couldnt care less about Sully, nor Murphy or any other media guy....The Bills collapsed in the 4th quarter. Taylor had a 2-16 record when losing in the fourth. You cant tell me you thought yesterday that with 3 minutes left, the Bills would win the game.

Whats a Pulitzer? The Russian way of saying what Seinfeld called The Contest?

Jauron never showed emotion on the sidelines. I've seen McDermott several times getting heated on the sidelines.

I think they are complete opposite. McDermott will kick your ass, Jauron will read motivational lines from "A Purpose Driven Life".

....Jauron?...seriously?......he had his pressers in the morgue with about the same level of excitement......a/k/a The Cadaver.....

I didnt see the PC, did anyone ask 1) who called that play at the end of the first half 2) who blow the coverage on Howard for that long TD pass.

And noting was me painful that a Dick Jauron PC, especially after one of those thrilling 20-13 loss where we punted well.

1. McD said he was to blame

2. McD didn't throw a player under the bus but it was obvious from his answer someone blew an assignment. Mostly credited the play design though.