SS Edmund Fitzgerald

TSNBDSC

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

I double checked, double take the Spain thing.  Being so old... I thought they may have taking it out of service for good.

Since destination is input at pilothouse,  other AiS programs must show the same,  no... Marin, Spain and Marine City, Michigan... Are similar!  Goes to show you not to count on technology!

Try the Boatnerd (www.boatnerd.com) website to see what their AIS shows for the AMA's destination.  The Boatnerd site took a step backwards with the redesign, but it was necessary due to server requirements.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I've been to:
Reno, Chicago, Fargo, Minnesota,
Buffalo, Toronto, Winslow, Sarasota,
Wichita, Tulsa, Ottawa, Oklahoma,
Tampa, Panama, Mattawa, La Paloma,
Bangor, Baltimore, Salvador, Amarillo,
Tocapillo, Baranquilla, and Perdilla, I'm a killer.

You think the rappers of today can talk fast? They got nothing on ol' Hank Snow.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Try the Boatnerd (www.boatnerd.com) website to see what their AIS shows for the AMA's destination.  The Boatnerd site took a step backwards with the redesign, but it was necessary due to server requirements.

Since MarineTraffic is based out of Cyprus we can't officially use it at work. We have an in-house,  🇺🇸 production system overlayed on Google EarthPro.  Guys at work were asking why we can't link to others when ours goes down.   The security answer was given... Not sure how true that is! ??

19 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Arthur M. Anderson is still plying The Lakes... Anderson was the last vessel to make contact with The Fitz.

Wanna see where The Anderson is on the live AiS map... Just east of Alpena, Michigan at time of this post:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-83.0/centery:45.2/zoom:8

Looks like The Anderson is leaving The Lakes and heading to Marin, Spain for the winter... Origin was Drummond Island, Michigan...

I am surprised those long skinny lake freighters can survive on the larger waves of the Atlantic. I thought they were designed for the Great Lakes, but I am just a land lubber.

17 hours ago, Doc said:

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

That line always gets me.

"She might have dove deep and took water" is a very eery graphic image to me. The sea is a cruel mistress.

12 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

I am surprised those long skinny lake freighters can survive on the larger waves of the Atlantic. I thought they were designed for the Great Lakes, but I am just a land lubber.

"She might have dove deep and took water" is a very eery graphic image to me. The sea is a cruel mistress.

The Lakers stay on the Lakes.  I was all confused when the AiS was showing destination as Spain. @Ridgewaycynic2013 caught it! Can't even fit through Welland.   So... Arthur M. Anderson has to remain in Lakes Superior (Soo lock is 1200'), Michigan, Huron, & Erie.

IIRC, ocean waves have a longer frequency vs. Great Lakes waves.

17 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Good catch! Now @ 729' the Fitz would have fit through... But then again these are Lake Boats made for Lake waves... Superstructure/wheelhouse is fore/bow, not aft/stern like the salties!  May they even go in the ocean, are they fitted for salt even if they could fit through Seaway specs?

The 'fore and aft' cabin design hasn't been built for lakers for years, whether the boat was built in a foreign or domestic yard.  Last recent domestic newbuild is the Mark W. Barker launched in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin last week.  Smaller than a full Seaway Max size, both Canadian and US fleets are seeing the wisdom in smaller builds to serve smaller, shallower ports.  The Barker also has a bow mounted self unloading boom, which is a design that increases the versatility of a self unloader.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

AIS destinations I believe are manually entered.  It's not unusual for a boat to show 'the barn' as the destination when heading for lay up.  Someone in the Anderson's pilothouse is having some fun.

As a follow up to this, I recall a few seasons back a Canadian boat's destination was shown as 'Miller Time'.  I asked a friend who sails relief out of the union hall if the boat was going to lay up.  No, he informed me, the boat was heading to Miller Aggregates in Windsor Ontario for a load of stone.  There's some measure of creativity on the part of whoever's filling in the destination on at least Boatnerd.com's AIS.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:38 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

As a follow up to this, I recall a few seasons back a Canadian boat's destination was shown as 'Miller Time'.  I asked a friend who sails relief out of the union hall if the boat was going to lay up.  No, he informed me, the boat was heading to Miller Aggregates in Windsor Ontario for a load of stone.  There's some measure of creativity on the part of whoever's filling in the destination on at least Boatnerd.com's AIS.

Little bit of a clustereff on the Calumet River... Waiting for the Friday rush-hour bridges to lift... Looks like the A.M. Anderson made it back from Spain🇪🇸... 😉... Well @ least Detroit! 😆 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.538/centery:41.701/zoom:12

Showing the Algoma Intrepid down in Da Hood too! 

Gales of November blowing tonight!

3 Lakers, Great Republic, James R. Barker, & Wilfred Sykes anchored & riding it out between Racine & Evanston... Destination Gary/Burns/Indiana Harbor:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-87.6/centery:42.6/zoom:9

Winds 40+ knots... Wave occasionally to 18' subsiding tomorrow...

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 7:36 PM, Bad Things said:

"... and farther below Lake Ontario takes in what lake Erie can send her."

Love that song and proudly sing that line every time I head it.  It's probably the only song I know of that mentions Lake Ontario or the region where I'm from originally.  (Rochester.)  

Apart from this song and "The Erie Canal", what other songs mention upstate NY?

Foreigner " rev on the red line" mentions Lake Ave.

Runnin' all night on Lake Avenue
It's a piece of cake
If you know what to do
You've got to lose a few
'Til the stakes get high
When the odds are right
You just blow by

20 minutes ago, Wacka said:

It endured, but at the bottom of the sea.

The men did for sure, and like Ridge mentioned it really looks to be in good shape after all this time. I guess  the water is too cold for woodworms and the like.

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Isn't it true there's no agreement on why she sank? 

They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water

Many believe that the boat was too close to Caribou Island shoal, and with the variance in water depth due to heavy seas, the Fitz 'bottomed' on the shoal.  Captain Cooper (trailing in the 'Arthur M. Anderson') reported that his radar showed the Fitzgerald very close to the shoal area. 

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Many believe that the boat was too close to Caribou Island shoal, and with the variance in water depth due to heavy seas, the Fitz 'bottomed' on the shoal.  Captain Cooper reported that his radar showed the Fitzgerald very close to the shoal area. 

Didn't they go down there with a rover and find like every other cargo hatch was unsecured... Insinuating that maybe the crew didn't get the vessel ready properly enough for heavy weather.

???

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

It endured, but at the bottom of the sea.

This reminds me of a statement in an article about preserved Santa Fe steam locomotives:

"There are two surviving AT&SF 2-8-2 "Mikado" type locomotives. These two locomotives (numbers 3167 and 4076) were lost in a flood in 1952 and are now sunk in the Kaw River in Topeka, KS."

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/locobase.php?country=USA&wheel=2-8-2&railroad=atsf

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Didn't they go down there with a rover and find like every other cargo hatch was unsecured... Insinuating that maybe the crew didn't get the vessel ready properly enough for heavy weather.

???

I've heard that the shoal was formed by the shells of invasive mussels... predators learned how to open the buggers up and just feasted.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, T&C said:

I've heard that the shoal was formed by the shells of invasive mussels... predators learned how to open the buggers up and just feasted.

Quagga mussels.   Billions on bottom of Lake Michigan,  but Eddie Fitz sank in Lake Superior... Upstream of Lake Michigan. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/2016/09/why_havent_zebra_and_quagga_mu.html

"In any other Great Lake, that would be unheard of. But scientists say that Lake Superior has successfully repelled the invasive dreissenid mussels thanks to a unique combination of temperature, chemistry and food availability."

35 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

???

References?  I have never seen that reported.  I seem to recall some hatch covers were reported blown off of the bow section that settled upright, but this was explained by internal pressure in the cargo hold causing that.  The stern settled keel up, and I believe some speculate that a deep enough bow breech into a wave could have driven the boat to 'submarine' at a steep enough angle that the bow struck bottom, and the stern snapped off.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

References?  I have never seen that reported.  I seem to recall some hatch covers were reported blown off of the bow section that settled upright, but this was explained by internal pressure in the cargo hold causing that.  The stern settled keel up, and I believe some speculate that a deep enough bow breech into a wave could have driven the boat to 'submarine' at a steep enough angle that the bow struck bottom, and the stern snapped off.

I caught it somewhere on like History Channel show... Will see if I can reference it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.