Shaq Lawson Another Whaley Mistake?

Irv

Number 19 pick overall. I give him a pass last year because he was hurt. I get that. But through 5 games he has 2 sacks and 12 tackles. When I watch him he just seems really slow. Is it the system or is he just not that good? Really low output for such a high draft pick. Disappointed.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I watched the Panthers DEs with great interest. The unit last year that used their DEs to contain and push the play up the middle to the DTs and LBs beat outside pocket protection to collapse the pocket.

Lawson will never be able to do that. As I've said all along he is Chris Kelsey. And that's not a terrible thing, it's good to have but when teams only have to stop Hughes than we are in trouble.

Kyle Williams is hurting. He's done. He is still giving more effort than anyone every play (Humber and Alexander are up there). And the other DT spot is not being used properly.

We need to slide Lawson in to a tighter 43 to supplement him with Adolphus Washington. Washington is lean and agile enough to move tackles.

Number 19 pick overall. I give him a pass last year because he was hurt. I get that. But through 5 games he has 2 sacks and 12 tackles. When I watch him he just seems really slow. Is it the system or is he just not that good? Really low output for such a high draft pick. Disappointed.

I don't think you're giving him the credit he deserves because Shaq has been very good in the four games he has played this season. He's an excellent run defender who does a really nice job setting the edge and he can also put pressure on QBs. Good fit for McDermott's scheme.

Grades out as a very strong run stopper/edge setter.

He may not ever have the flash you want but is still valuable as 1/11th.

He will not be a high sack number guy, but he will do a lot of great things that contribute to the overall defensive success of the team that average fan will not notice. But this is his first full year, so maybe he can develop into more as career progresses.

He was drafted to fit into Rex's 3-4 man-coverage defense, much like Ragland & Darby. It's on him and his coaches to get him adjusted to this 4-3 zone scheme.

I have hope for him still because of his skillet fitting what McDermott has commonly done. An outside edge contain with an upgrade at Will will make a huge difference.

Here's what Joe B had to say in his all-22 for this week (where Shaq was rated 4th highest):

4) DE Shaq Lawson
Snaps on the Field: 47/66
Grade vs. Bengals: B
- The Cincinnati Bengals really struggled to get themselves going on the ground to a large degree, and that’s partially due to the work that Shaq Lawson had been doing off the edge. Clearly, this isn’t just about tackles because if it were, then you would see linebackers up here. No, his body control, strength, and positioning continue to take away options from opposing running backs as they try to the right side of the offense. Lawson is usually there pushing his blocker or holding at the point of attack, and if he isn’t, that’s probably because he forced a holding penalty (which he’s done multiple times this year). You didn’t hear Lawson’s name much during the game, but he did a really nice job against the run and helped the problem from the last two weeks go away a bit.

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-buffalo-bills-all-22-review-vs-cincinnati-bengals-10_12_17-