Wine Country Fires

Chef Jim

Just read a story about a couple (65 and 70 years old) near Santa Rosa that survived by jumping in the neighbor's pool and staying there for 6 hours. The wife had put her phone in her shoes and placed them on the concrete next to the pool. When they finally got out the phone and shoes were melted.

The home of Charles Schulz was destroyed. His widow did get out.

Just saw the pool story:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-couple-spent-hours-pool-survive-wildfires-article-1.3560722

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be morbid, but I had the same thought.

Me too but I was thinking poached not parboiled. Yeah I know semantics but I want to make sure he got it right.

Not to be morbid, but I had the same thought. Buy a place in Sonoma and rent down here in Mill Valley until the kids are out of school.

That story was on the local news a couple nights ago. Apparently they used towels to cover their head in the pool to protect from the flames. Then after the fire passed they dried their clothes on the hot rocks before walking out and getting picked up by a sheriff's car. Crazy.

Those things blow over real quickly with the fierce winds they have. Firefighters have some sort of fireproof blanket they get under if they get overrun by flames.

CNN has been as unreliable a news source as Fox for years.

Is there such a thing as "reliable", or do we need to watch them all and then filter through it. I think I'd rather stick my head in the sand (or a plastic bag) than endure them all! Ugh...

PLEASE not Sonoma! There are a few "happy places" from my life and travels, and that is one.

Love that town square. We were club members of Roche Winery and their tasting room is right off the square. We'd go there and drink for free. They took such good care of us. When you start to get to know the people pouring at the tasting rooms it's great. We'd only visit two maybe three wineries when we went head up there. I'd spend up to two hours just talking with the people at these tasting rooms. I learned so much about wine. We loved Sonoma so much we were planning on buying a retirement home there. We probably still will. !@#$!!

St Armand's Circle off of Sarasota, FL is another happy place. (I voted to stay there. I live in Atlanta now - all votes are not equal.) They get hurricanes, much easier to bounce back from in general. Naples, FL is pretty sweet.....now I'm just making myself crazy!!!