Wine Country Fires

Chef Jim

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We appear to have turned the corner over the weekend. Weather seems to be cooperating and firefighters are gaining containment on the biggest fires.

Still a ways to go but nice to hear some positive news.

VERY good to hear. Hope the good news continues.

Here is a link to ALL the structures burned... http://calfire-forestry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=5bbcbed430ad45e5a38e6be155ef5fec

It was a crazy scene last Monday. I live adjacent to the Coffey Park area that was wiped off the map. Got a call just before 3am, but the city/county sent out the wrong alert. Nothing about a fire. Smelled the smoke before I got the call though. My street, since all other options were blocked, was the main thoroughfare out of Coffey Park. It was crazy, cars speeding down the street...and we still didn't really know what was going on. My neighbors and I stood outside, in disbelief, joking that the fire would not come our way...and how could it? We weren't in any "normal" fire path. Finally, someone in a car stuck in traffic in front of my house told us the fire was at the railroad track...time to scramble. Crated the animals, grabbed some random s### and took off...only to be stuck in traffic for an hour, in the main outlet out Luckily the fire didn't quite make it as far was our house...just over a block away it stopped. Chaotic!! Sad!! We will endure and rebuild!! #SonomaStrong #CoffeyStrong #SantaRosaStrong

Here is a link to ALL the structures burned... http://calfire-forestry.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicInformation/index.html?appid=5bbcbed430ad45e5a38e6be155ef5fec

It was a crazy scene last Monday. I live adjacent to the Coffey Park area that was wiped off the map. Got a call just before 3am, but the city/county sent out the wrong alert. Nothing about a fire. Smelled the smoke before I got the call though. My street, since all other options were blocked, was the main thoroughfare out of Coffey Park. It was crazy, cars speeding down the street...and we still didn't really know what was going on. My neighbors and I stood outside, in disbelief, joking that the fire would not come our way...and how could it? We weren't in any "normal" fire path. Finally, someone in a car stuck in traffic in front of my house told us the fire was at the railroad track...time to scramble. Crated the animals, grabbed some random s### and took off...only to be stuck in traffic for an hour, in the main outlet out Luckily the fire didn't quite make it as far was our house...just over a block away it stopped. Chaotic!! Sad!! We will endure and rebuild!! #SonomaStrong #CoffeyStrong #SantaRosaStrong

YIKES! Glad you got out and were lucky this time. Hurricanes and earthquakes scare me a lot less than that craziness!

I knew that. I was actually looking in to wine futures this morning - I know they exist, but couldn't figure out how to buy them.

Or Virginia wines. The VA wine industry is about where CA was in the late 70's, quality-wise.

I was about to post similar

There are half a dozen wineries within 10 miles of where I live.

Yikes. I thought I remembered you lived up north somewhere. Glad to hear youre ok even if it must be hard to see your neighborhood in that kind of shape.

On a positive note, today is the first rainy day of the season; hoping for some decent rainfall tonight to put a bullet in the fires.

Yikes. I thought I remembered you lived up north somewhere. Glad to hear youre ok even if it must be hard to see your neighborhood in that kind of shape.

On a positive note, today is the first rainy day of the season; hoping for some decent rainfall tonight to put a bullet in the fires.

I had to go through Coffey Park the day after to check on someone's home. They were down in Santa Cruz and couldn't get up. I've driven through that area 100's of times and it was surreal. When they say it looks like a bomb was dropped, it really does look like a bomb was dropped. I had no idea where I was at most of the time. Those little things you recognize to help you guide your way through an area are, obviously, no longer there. Aluminum wheels melted and puddled into the street...crazy!! Amazing though, the house I was looking for was still standing. I got to tell someone some great news. The area is now blockaded w/ National Guard vehicles. It's opening up to residents tomorrow and Saturday so they can come in for the first time. Sunday it'll be open to the public...not looking forward to that zoo of gawkers, or driving through that neighborhood for the next couple years while it awaits being rebuilt...it was my normal route anywhere.

Thank goodness for the rains (it's a pretty good one as I type). I hope it's over. I personally know over 20 people who have lost their homes in various parts of the city. We need to move on and get into recovery mode.

Word is that the Sonoma fire was started by an illegal. Sonoma is a sanctuary county, inside a sanctuary state. If that's true, it's even more tragic for all the families and businesses that lost everything!

Stop the BS, downed wires most likely caused the fires.

Word is that the Sonoma fire was started by an illegal. Sonoma is a sanctuary county, inside a sanctuary state. If that's true, it's even more tragic for all the families and businesses that lost everything!

Wow. Did the illegal swear allegiance to ISIS, too?

:thumbdown:

One thing I hadn't give much thought to until recently: The migrant workers who work the fields/pick the grapes. Most of the wineries have some insurance, and I assume savings. Many (if not most) of these workers, have no savings, and are essentially homeless.

Clearly it's a tragedy for everyone impacted, even if they have insurance. Fortunately, I'm hearing of wineries committing to pay the workers, and do whatever they can to make sure they aren't totally devastated. If so, that's a real classy move.

Wow. Did the illegal swear allegiance to ISIS, too?

:thumbdown:

One thing I hadn't give much thought to until recently: The migrant workers who work the fields/pick the grapes. Most of the wineries have some insurance, and I assume savings. Many (if not most) of these workers, have no savings, and are essentially homeless.

Clearly it's a tragedy for everyone impacted, even if they have insurance. Fortunately, I'm hearing of wineries committing to pay the workers, and do whatever they can to make sure they aren't totally devastated. If so, that's a real classy move.

Many of these wineries are relatively small. Even some of the more recognizable names. They operate like a family. They are down to the earth salt of the earth people and I am not surprised at all to hear this. They know how important the workers are to the success of their operations.