Wine Country Fires

Chef Jim

Most extensive up to date list so far. Lots of pretty decent news here. Not sure how extensive the damage is to the crops. As I've mentioned from what I've seen in wine country most of the fires have been contained to the hillsides on the east sides of the Sonoma and Napa Valleys. Now while there are some vineyards in the hills most of the grapes are grown on the valley floors. My thoughts (and what do I know) is that this years vintage will suffer greatly. Mainly because though 90% of the harvest had been completed and I assume many of the grapes have been crushed there is more to the process than picking and crushing. Only time will tell.

http://wineindustryinsight.com/?p=85305

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most extensive up to date list so far. Lots of pretty decent news here. Not sure how extensive the damage is to the crops. As I've mentioned from what I've seen in wine country most of the fires have been contained to the hillsides on the east sides of the Sonoma and Napa Valleys. Now while there are some vineyards in the hills most of the grapes are grown on the valley floors. My thoughts (and what do I know) is that this years vintage will suffer greatly. Mainly because though 90% of the harvest had been completed and I assume many of the grapes have been crushed there is more to the process than picking and crushing. Only time will tell.

http://wineindustryinsight.com/?p=85305

We kept hearing that not too many wineries were actually involved. The only one on the list that I really know, and knew about was Paradise Ridge, since it's in the Fountain Grove area. Driving down 101, it looks like some of the vines around the Kendall Jackson estate have been torched, charred....not too many though.

We kept hearing that not too many wineries were actually involved. The only one on the list that I really know, and knew about was Paradise Ridge, since it's in the Fountain Grove area. Driving down 101, it looks like some of the vines around the Kendall Jackson estate have been torched, charred....not too many though.

Have you driven Rt 12 through Sonoma Valley?