Homemade Pizza Thread

BringBackFergy

Like many of you, I love pizza. This thread isn't about your favorite take out pizza. If any of you make pizza a lot at home, what are some secrets, recipes, methods?

Here's a few questions I have:

Making a good, quick crust that is tasty, crusty. I've tried all kinds of recipes but haven't found one that blows me away. Have any?

Sauce - I would love to find a real simple pizza sauce recipe (have a tried a few but the jar/bottle sauce just isn't the same as from a pizzeria).

Cheese - We've used real mozzarella, provolone, a mixture of the two...not sure what favorite is but provolone is a nice cheese to use.

Any other secrets? We put a light layer of olive oil on the sheet before putting the dough on and it makes the bottom crusty but there may be other methods...super hot over (450) or medium oven (350).

This actually looks like a good idea...pizza in a cast iron pan

panpizza91.jpg

Sauce - I would love to find a real simple pizza sauce recipe (have a tried a few but the jar/bottle sauce just isn't the same as from a pizzeria).

Tomato paste and oil (I prefer olive oil, vegetable oil works if you're making gallons at a time.) Then spice to taste.

That's all there really is to it. The trick is getting the balances of spices right, and that's more art and personal taste than anything, and requires experimentation.

Tomato paste and oil (I prefer olive oil, vegetable oil works if you're making gallons at a time.) Then spice to taste.

That's all there really is to it. The trick is getting the balances of spices right, and that's more art and personal taste than anything, and requires experimentation.

I think you're right. I've made complex pizza sauces with garlic, onion, oregano, basil, paste, etc....simmer for three hours, blah, blah, blah....but it is just ok. I can't imagine a pizzeria going through all that trouble for sauce...they must do something real simple. So yeah, tomato paste and some oil might be the perfect simple solution with a few dashes of spices.

I think you're right. I've made complex pizza sauces with garlic, onion, oregano, basil, paste, etc....simmer for three hours, blah, blah, blah....but it is just ok. I can't imagine a pizzeria going through all that trouble for sauce...they must do something real simple. So yeah, tomato paste and some oil might be the perfect simple solution with a few dashes of spices.

We used to make it in a 40-gallon plastic garbage can.

The recipe actually doesn't scale down well, because when you're making 40 gallons at a time you have a lot of forgiveness with the amount of spices (an extra tbsp here and there doesn't really matter).

We also never actually cooked it (until it got on to the pizza, of course).

Like many of you, I love pizza. This thread isn't about your favorite take out pizza. If any of you make pizza a lot at home, what are some secrets, recipes, methods?

Here's a few questions I have:

Making a good, quick crust that is tasty, crusty. I've tried all kinds of recipes but haven't found one that blows me away. Have any?

Cheese - We've used real mozzarella, provolone, a mixture of the two...not sure what favorite is but provolone is a nice cheese to use.

Any other secrets? We put a light layer of olive oil on the sheet before putting the dough on and it makes the bottom crusty but there may be other methods...super hot over (450) or medium oven (350).

This actually looks like a good idea...pizza in a cast iron pan

panpizza91.jpg

Is there a local pizza place that you like the crust of? Call them and ask them for a dough ball. They usually sell them cold for $2-3. So easy. Also, when you roll the dough out, use a fork or another piercing device and make holes in the dough to reduce the number of air pockets (don't go all the way through, but pierce the top layer).

I worked at a pizzeria for a few years in high school and college, I use that same pizza place's white pizza recipe and it's really easy and tasty. Fresh, extra garlic is key IMO. For the cheese I use about 2/3 full fat mozzarella and 1/3 romano. Oregano sprinkled on top. If you want the whole recipe I can put it in this thread later.

The best homemade pizzas I make are done on a pre-heated pizza stone, and with the oven as hot as it can possibly go (+500 degrees). Shouldn't take longer than 12-15 minutes depending on dough thickness.

Edited by Wooderson

We usually do our pizzas on the grill. We buy the "fresh made" dough at Price Chopper. Grill the dough on both sides first, and then add the toppings and turn the grill down to low. Makes em nice and crispy like I prefer.

I like mine simple. Some good olive oil, fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil....salt and pepper. The kids prefer tomato sauce, shredded mozz, pepperoni, and black olives (my son loves the olives). My wife is gluten/dairy free, so I don't know what the hell she eats.

Is there a local pizza place that you like the crust of? Call them and ask them for a dough ball. They usually sell them cold for $2-3. So easy. Also, when you roll the dough out, use a fork or another piercing device and make holes in the dough to reduce the number of air pockets (don't go all the way through, but pierce the top layer).

I worked at a pizzeria for a few years in high school and college, I use that same pizza place's white pizza recipe and it's really easy and tasty. Fresh, extra garlic is key IMO. For the cheese I use about 2/3 full fat mozzarella and 1/3 romano. Oregano sprinkled on top. If you want the whole recipe I can put it in this thread later.

The best homemade pizzas I make are done on a pre-heated pizza stone, and with the oven as hot as it can possibly go (+500 degrees). Shouldn't take longer than 12-15 minutes depending on dough thickness.

This sounds great...I'd add anchovies too (love em)

We usually do our pizzas on the grill. We buy the "fresh made" dough at Price Chopper. Grill the dough on both sides first, and then add the toppings and turn the grill down to low. Makes em nice and crispy like I prefer.

I like mine simple. Some good olive oil, fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil....salt and pepper. The kids prefer tomato sauce, shredded mozz, pepperoni, and black olives (my son loves the olives). My wife is gluten/dairy free, so I don't know what the hell she eats.

Yes, we use the Hannaford brand dough a lot and it's ok...the grill method probably makes the store bought dough better. Still hoping to try and make an easy pizza dough at home though

One thing I can tell you is that I completely gave up on the effort to make our own dough. Nothing we made was better than, or easier than, getting dough from Trader Joe's.

I'm finding that's the case as well. Most dough recipes require mixing dough in Kitchen Aid, knead the dough for 15 mins, let it rest two hours, then punch it down, knead it again, lay it in pan, let it rise a second time....after three hours and six beers I forgot what the hell I was making in the first place.

One thing I can tell you is that I completely gave up on the effort to make our own dough. Nothing we made was better than, or easier than, getting dough from Trader Joe's.

Yeah, while I can make my own dough, it just isn't worth the effort. It's another thing that doesn't scale down well from the pizzeria - takes roughly the same amount of time if you're making dough for one pizza or a hundred.

Yeah, while I can make my own dough, it just isn't worth the effort. It's another thing that doesn't scale down well from the pizzeria - takes roughly the same amount of time if you're making dough for one pizza or a hundred.

Does pizza dough freeze well? (assuming I make a batch of five or six dough balls) I've only ever made enough dough for two pizzas.

1) We used a pizza stone on the grill, but doing both sides of the crust sounds like a good idea.

2) my wife has also gone gluten/dairy free, so I am now SOL when it comes to homemade pizza. Some things you just don't do for one person, and this is on that list. I get a slice for lunch somethimes to get my fix.

1) We used a pizza stone on the grill, but doing both sides of the crust sounds like a good idea.

2) my wife has also gone gluten/dairy free, so I am now SOL when it comes to homemade pizza. Some things you just don't do for one person, and this is on that list. I get a slice for lunch somethimes to get my fix.

Another woman? Just because your wife has a gluten intolerance doesn't mean you need to get a slice on the side.

:D

The wife grills some kind of gluten-free flat bread, and has some disgusting soybean cheese that she tries to melt on top but it doesn't really melt. She's a good sport.

Does pizza dough freeze well? (assuming I make a batch of five or six dough balls) I've only ever made enough dough for two pizzas.

I believe so - I've never tried it. But in the fridge, it should last about a week.

As long as you don't kill the yeast, you should be good.

The wife grills some kind of gluten-free flat bread, and has some disgusting soybean cheese that she tries to melt on top but it doesn't really melt. She's a good sport.

"Soybean cheese" is the most oxymoronic of oxymorons.

Yes, we use the Hannaford brand dough a lot and it's ok...the grill method probably makes the store bought dough better. Still hoping to try and make an easy pizza dough at home though

I'm finding that's the case as well. Most dough recipes require mixing dough in Kitchen Aid, knead the dough for 15 mins, let it rest two hours, then punch it down, knead it again, lay it in pan, let it rise a second time....after three hours and six beers I forgot what the hell I was making in the first place.

Hannaford has another brand (not store brand) that comes in different varieties: Beer, basil, wheat. All very good.

We just used the dough from Publix ...I'm not trying to make life harder than it has to be.

It's a fun activity where everyone gets to make their own, and good with kids.

Edited by Augie

Hannaford has another brand (not store brand) that comes in different varieties: Beer, basil, wheat. All very good.

I just bought one of those yesterday and was planning on using it tonight or tomorrow...that's what precipitated this thread. I tried the regular Hannaford brand and it's always just OK...hoping to find one that I really like or make my own. Will report back.

I just bought one of those yesterday and was planning on using it tonight or tomorrow...that's what precipitated this thread. I tried the regular Hannaford brand and it's always just OK...hoping to find one that I really like or make my own. Will report back.

Last Sunday I made a buffalo chicken pizza with the beer dough. Delicious.

Yeah, while I can make my own dough, it just isn't worth the effort.

There are a few things I used to make that fall into that category of "not worth the effort."

Sausage, brats, etc. for one. And pasta (before I got the Phillips pasta maker).

We do stick to making everything fresh and from scratch, simply because we want to avoid all the garbage that goes into most food. So I'm not buying crappy sausage, for example, but from the local Italian deli that makes it's own fresh every day.

Absolutely!

Just cut it into 1 lb sections and vacuum seal it if you can.

One of the things about buying either frozen dough or chilled dough from a store is that people generally don't let it get warm enough to relax the gluten.

I'm aging a sourdough starter right now and will try to make a pizza crust with that. I think I'll make it a wet dough so it stretches better.

Pizza stone. 450° to 500° F oven. Preheat the stone.

Put the dough on the stone with a peel that is well sprinkled with either corn meal or semolina. Bake for 5 - 10 minutes. You can try tossing in about a 1/2 cup of water onto the oven floor before closing the door. Live bold!

Take the dough out of the oven with the peel and prick any air bubbles with a fork.

Put on your sauce (or go hard core and just use canned Romano tomatoes that you've squeezed most of the juice out of) and add your favorite (FRESH) toppings.

Put it back in the oven for 15 minutes or so - watch it so it doesn't burn.

Oregano is the pizza spice. It's about the only thing I use it for.

Absolutely!

One of the things about buying either frozen dough or chilled dough from a store is that people generally don't let it get warm enough to relax the gluten.

I'm aging a sourdough starter right now and will try to make a pizza crust with that. I think I'll make it a wet dough so it stretches better.

Put the dough on the stone with a peel that is well sprinkled with either corn meal or semolina. Bake for 5 - 10 minutes. You can try tossing in about a 1/2 cup of water onto the oven floor before closing the door. Live bold!

Take the dough out of the oven with the peel and prick any air bubbles with a fork.

Put on your sauce (or go hard core and just use canned Romano tomatoes that you've squeezed most of the juice out of) and add your favorite (FRESH) toppings.

25 minutes for a pizza at 500 seems awfully long. (not criticizing; just saying it seems long to me)

Edited by Gugny

There are a few things I used to make that fall into that category of "not worth the effort."

Sausage, brats, etc. for one. And pasta (before I got the Phillips pasta maker).

We do stick to making everything fresh and from scratch, simply because we want to avoid all the garbage that goes into most food. So I'm not buying crappy sausage, for example, but from the local Italian deli that makes it's own fresh every day.

I make my own. Made English Bangers, Breakfast Sausage, Italian Sausage, and Polish Sausage.

I'll be making Chorizo soon too.

Props to The Sausage Maker from Buffalo, NY. They've got it all there, if you want to do a little or if you want to scale it up and go big time.

Some of their spices are heavy with salt, so if anyone wants to try their blends (they don't have a Bangers spice blend :mellow: - but I make my own and it's pretty good) tread lightly at first.

Breakfast sausage is really cool to make. I add some brown sugar and orange zest and a little orange juice to their mix. You can make hundreds of variations of sausage by tweaking and adding your own ingredients. I want to make lamb sausages soon too.

You guys got me hungry.

25 minutes for a pizza at 500 seems awfully long. (not criticizing; just saying it seems long to me)

Yagaddaspearmint Gug. Yagaddaspearmint. Every oven is different. Every pizza is different. I would cook a plain mutz pie for much less time, but if it's loaded with fresh tomato slices, thick mushroom slices, large dollops of fresh uncooked sausage and two pounds of cheese, then it's gotta be in long enough to cook all that stuff.

Breakfast sausage is really cool to make. I add some brown sugar and orange zest and a little orange juice to their mix. You can make hundreds of variations of sausage by tweaking and adding your own ingredients. I want to make lamb sausages soon too.

That's the one I miss making the most because all the stuff out there is filled with garbage. We make a sage and thyme breakfast sausage we use for Thanksgiving stuffing.

I make my own. Made English Bangers, Breakfast Sausage, Italian Sausage, and Polish Sausage.

I'll be making Chorizo soon too.

Props to The Sausage Maker from Buffalo, NY. They've got it all there, if you want to do a little or if you want to scale it up and go big time.

Some of their spices are heavy with salt, so if anyone wants to try their blends (they don't have a Bangers spice blend :mellow: - but I make my own and it's pretty good) tread lightly at first.

You guys got me hungry.

Yagaddaspearmint Gug. Yagaddaspearmint. Every oven is different. Every pizza is different. I would cook a plain mutz pie for much less time, but if it's loaded with fresh tomato slices, thick mushroom slices, large dollops of fresh uncooked sausage and two pounds of cheese, then it's gotta be in long enough to cook all that stuff.

Pizzas with that much stuff do take longer to cook. And that is rather long at that temperature, IF you're cooking on a stone in a true pazza oven.

In a home oven...seems hot rather than long (I'd probably cook that at 425 for 20-25 minutes.) But like you said...depends on the oven.

Fergy, when you perfect it, you have to share

Deal!!

Absolutely!

Good hints. Will look into a pizza stone. Thanks brother.

Deal!!Good hints. Will look into a pizza stone. Thanks brother.

The pizza stone made for a great crust! We used it on the grill and it was great.

(Then pizza night went out the window when the gluten thing came up. ;))

The pizza stone made for a great crust! We used it on the grill and it was great.

(Then pizza night went out the window when the gluten thing came up. ;))

LOL. I just finished a really great pizza with the dough Gugny was talking about, olive oil, thin red onion, tomatoes, oregano, parm cheese and anchovies (like Wooderson talked about above). Then put oven to 440 and it came out really really good. But the pizza stone is a great idea and will get one.

As for you - I still cant believe you are getting a slice on the side just because your wife is gluten intolerant. You, sir, are very shallow!!

😃

LOL. I just finished a really great pizza with the dough Gugny was talking about, olive oil, thin red onion, tomatoes, oregano, parm cheese and anchovies (like Wooderson talked about above). Then put oven to 440 and it came out really really good. But the pizza stone is a great idea and will get one.

As for you - I still cant believe you are getting a slice on the side just because your wife is gluten intolerant. You, sir, are very shallow!!

You don't understand!!! It's not just the gluten, it's the dairy too! I gotta get my slice sometimes. I'm only human! :)

...and it by shallow you mean thin crust, that's usually the way I roll. Not sure where to find a decent deep dish around here. But that's another topic entirely...

Our pizza stone was discarded after the Great Grease Tray Overflow of 2015, I think. I'd pass it along if I still had it, since it's become as useful and the bread maker and an antique spinning wheel. :(

Edited by Augie

You don't understand!!! It's not just the gluten, it's the dairy too!

My wife got off gluten and dairy in the past six months, and I was desperately dreading it.

Butt she was on a crapload of meds for migraines and back pain, and was miserable even with the meds. But after four months of no gluten and limited dairy (as in, a bit of 1% milk in her coffee), she has literally dropped every single medication she was on. Her 10-minute slow-rise ritual out of bed in the morning is her jumping out like she's a 10-year-old who just found out she had a snow day.

It's absolutely amazing.

My wife got off gluten and dairy in the past six months, and I was desperately dreading it.

Butt she was on a crapload of meds for migraines and back pain, and was miserable even with the meds. But after four months of no gluten and limited dairy (as in, a bit of 1% milk in her coffee), she has literally dropped every single medication she was on. Her 10-minute slow-rise ritual out of bed in the morning is her jumping out like she's a 10-year-old who just found out she had a snow day.

It's absolutely amazing.

I'm thrilled you got it all figured out! We are still struggling to find the right mix of things. She's been to an allergist and dermatologist for itching, rashes and discolored skin on the back of her neck, a "genetic nutritionalist" (who knew there was such a thing?), and of course her GP. Changed diets multiple times with mixed results. You just keep trying until you find something that works.....

Pizza stones are awesome. But when you take the pizza out of the oven, don't leave it on the stone. The stone retains so much heat, it will keep cooking and your bottom crust will be chewy.

There is something about making your own dough. Its the chemical reaction of the yeast that is cool and I love the smell of fermenting dough/bread.

I used to have a real nice pizza stone which was the key. I was working at a hotel and one of the cleaning crew put water on the hot pizza oven and broke the stone. One of the pieces fit perfectly in a home oven.

We used to do a pizza party where Id buy all sorts of toppings and start cranking out pizza.

There is something about making your own dough. Its the chemical reaction of the yeast that is cool and I love the smell of fermenting dough/bread.

I used to have a real nice pizza stone which was the key. I was working at a hotel and one of the cleaning crew put water on the hot pizza oven and broke the stone. One of the pieces fit perfectly in a home oven.

We used to do a pizza party where Id buy all sorts of toppings and start cranking out pizza.

I'm sensing you giving advice in this thread and I don't like it one bit.