RIP Tom Petty (confirmed)

YoloinOhio

Am I bringing you down?

For those who actually listen to ELO on a regular basis....

The hits package is on my list for tick and bob audit days, along with a lot of other things I forget about otherwise...

For those who actually listen to ELO on a regular basis....

The hits package is on my list for tick and bob audit days, along with a lot of other things I forget about otherwise...

I only listen to ELO when I desperately need to get a Tom Petty "song" out of my head.

Any of you old geezers remember the petition 97 Rock started in '80 to get Petty to play Buffalo? Rumor had it that he hated Buffalo and avoided it on prior tours. Petition worked and he played a great show in the Aud in '81

Any of you old geezers remember the petition 97 Rock started in '80 to get Petty to play Buffalo? Rumor had it that he hated Buffalo and avoided it on prior tours. Petition worked and he played a great show in the Aud in '81

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. I was at that concert, though.........It was hot. August in the Aud with no A/C.............He ended up playing Darien Lake a number of times.

Bob Dylan loved him some Tom Petty.

I think Jamming Me (co-written by BD) is his best song. Refugee could've been there but "You don't have to live like a refugee" is just stupid, inane even.

I went to 5 Dylan and the Heartbreakers shows (3 with the Dead) in 1986, including the 4th of July one at Rich Stadium. His band was OK backing Dylan, but the 8 songs he sang were piss-break material. All IMO.

Edited by Rico

I think Jamming Me (co-written by BD) is his best song. Refugee could've been there but "You don't have to live like a refugee" is just stupid, inane even.

I went to 5 Dylan and the Heartbreakers shows (3 with the Dead) in 1986, including the 4th of July one at Rich Stadium. His band was OK backing Dylan, but the 8 songs he sang were piss-break material. All IMO.

I'm just not feeling it much, either.............Everybody keeps saying he didn't write a bad song, but I only love 3 of his songs, and the rest of his pre 90s stuff is OK. I think the same thing about Refugee. I don't really hate them, though.............But, I really do hate his 90s MTV dirges. People loved them in concert, though. I've seen him several times..........I think part of it was because they were very easy to sing along to - he enunciates every word and they are very slow.

I'm just not feeling it much, either.............Everybody keeps saying he didn't write a bad song, but I only love 3 of his songs, and the rest of his pre 90s stuff is OK. I think the same thing about Refugee. I don't really hate them, though.............But, I really do hate his 90s MTV dirges. People loved them in concert, though. I've seen him several times..........I think part of it was because they were very easy to sing along to - he enunciates every word and they are very slow.

I wouldn't say he was bad, he was OK for what he was... I just found him to be meh, pretty pedestrian at best. All-in-all, I'd rather hear Roger McGuinn/Byrds.