I'm a Taylor Fan........ But again 213 yards passing

Billsfan1972

Let's start with wins....... The Bills are not a winning team or organization the last 18 years...... Repeat that and we can go somewhere.

The Bills run game is very good, but often padded in those blowouts. When you are down in a game, then it is passing that get's you back in. An 80 yard 10 minute drive when the run game is strong and up 3 (or 7) in the 4th is great. Not so great when down 10 and the clock winding down.

Geez 300 yard passers went 6-0 in week 1...... Are you ignoring that?

Tom Brady threw for over 300 in the SB and won..... Does that count? Sometimes both QB's throw for 300 in a game and one loses, how do you account for that? How about if they got their team back in the game (tied it up) and lost on the last possession, does that account for anything.

Answer this..... Does the threat that a QB can throw for 300 yards a game help or detract from a team?

Well since Taylor hasnt been here 18 years thats remarkably unfair thing to say especially since this is a Taylor thread. Lacking in integrity

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarity

What I posted was not a statement of fact to be argued.

Let me rephrase it.

As long as the Bills can score equally well doing both .... I don't care how they do it.

Show me a QB who can pass for 300 on occasion and walk away with a WIN and I will be very happy.

Not a demand, a statement of what would make me happy.

Not be bust your bubble but pick sixes, fumbles run backs, punt returns and kick off returns all gain 0 yards of offense and their points count just the same.

thanks for mentioning the wonderful job the Defense has been doing (or could do).

We were talking offense.

Since you brought it up.... Why do we always hear (for example) He just broke off for a 105 yard kick off return for a Touchdown!! then ???

What I posted was not a statement of fact to be argued.

Let me rephrase it.

As long as the Bills can score equally well doing both .... I don't care how they do it.

Show me a QB who can pass for 300 on occasion and walk away with a WIN and I will be very happy.

Not a demand, a statement of what would make me happy.

I'm sorry. I didn't understand that when one offers an opinion on the board that others are not allowed to offer alternative impressions.

To offer more detail, you could throw for more yards in a game and not result in more scoring. If you start with poorer field position for example. Or if you throw 4 picks when you are throwing the ball more and that leads to lack of scoring. Or if you get way behind and have to start throwing more to try and get back into the game.

Our difference is this: as long as the Bills win I don't care how they do it. If they do it with a suffocating defense, and an offense that doesn't make big mistakes fine. If they do it with 200 yards running, fine. If they do it with 400 yards passing, fine.

The league does not give style points, they add up wins and losses. And the ironic thing about this thread is that people have complained, and with justification, that TT has to show he can take the offense on his shoulders if the run game dies. Well, last week the run game wasn't good. So he goes 20-26 and makes the plays needed to win the game. But the criticism then changes to him not throwing for enough yards.

That's why I've asked several times here, if TT throws for over 300 this week, and they lose (as did 6 of 10 teams last week), will it still be his fault? I know some people here will say yes, regardless of what the rest of the team does.

Here is a stat: 2-7. That is the record of Bills QBs (Fitz, Orton, Tyrod) who have thrown for 300 yards since 2011. In all of these games, the Bills found themselves in a big hole, and had to abandon the run. The two wins were New England 2011 and Detroit 2014, arguably the two best comeback wins in this time frame.

The more important stat is yard per attempt. If a QB throws for 355 yards, but it takes 57 attempts (Orton vs DEN in 2014), is that really a good performance? I am still not sold on Tyrod for the future, but I would much rather have 213 yards on 26 attempts. That equates to a Y/A of 8.19, which is higher than all but 4 of Tyrod's games last year (NYJ, JAX, PIT, MIA). But considering how TT depended on huge chunk plays against NYJ and PIT which inflated his stats (not to mention the INTs in those games), as well as how talented the Broncos secondary is, this was definitely one of Tyrod's best games.

Edited by FLXbillsmafia

Let's start with wins....... The Bills are not a winning team or organization the last 18 years...... Repeat that and we can go somewhere.

The Bills run game is very good, but often padded in those blowouts. When you are down in a game, then it is passing that get's you back in. An 80 yard 10 minute drive when the run game is strong and up 3 (or 7) in the 4th is great. Not so great when down 10 and the clock winding down.

Geez 300 yard passers went 6-0 in week 1...... Are you ignoring that?

Tom Brady threw for over 300 in the SB and won..... Does that count? Sometimes both QB's throw for 300 in a game and one loses, how do you account for that? How about if they got their team back in the game (tied it up) and lost on the last possession, does that account for anything.

Answer this..... Does the threat that a QB can throw for 300 yards a game help or detract from a team?

Except it works both ways because the Bills dominant run game and lack of turnovers helped them avoid comebacks from opposing teams. If the Bills get ahead they are tough. When you sling it all over the field the clock stops and teams hang around. You watched the Super Bowl. Some teams are built to play ahead and sometimes come back.

That's why he is 17-15.

because thats how you win in this league consistently. i dont think it is a real 300 peolle really want. it's just the threat of being able to throw for 300

Thats sums it up pretty well. 300 is just a number. But in a league that begs you to pass, it is very hard to consistently win when you average 187 passing yards.

Most rational people think TT is a fine game manger type qb. But you have a very thin margin of error with game managers.

what the hell is Big Time Throw %

Time to Throw needs to be improved. No O Line can hold back a defense on every passing snap for that long and maintain protection.

It was improved last week, we'll see if it continues. That graphic is from before the Broncos game, as his time to throw went from 3.09 down to 2.83. (His Snap to release time last week was ~2.57s)

I agree with your comments on the defense and the Watkins loss. The defense has its first real test this weekend. And the offense isn't what it was the last two years. We can run the ball at will anymore thanks to self inflicted scheme changes and personnel changes.... hasn't made Tyrods job any easier and he still looks good.

That has been my comment all along. I think TT is a good qb, who could be very good, but management and OC's have undermined him and basically with the trade of Watkins ensured that.

Heck Gaines may have been cut by LA as he was 4th on their depth chart when we got him. Probably could have traded for him with a # of options and he was not someone they were targeting. The Management wanted rid of Watkins and a draft pick for him. So stop using his good play to rationalize the trade.

I'm talking Offense in this thread.

The expectations for a Bills QB are so low, that 7-8 wins is season to build on. Scoring 20 points is a solid offensive performance. 220 yards passing in a tight game are strong #'s.....

As for just win, I'd frankly grow tired and find another team if it was 100% based on defense and little to no offense. Does anyone enjoy a 10-7 defensive struggle more than a 35-31 shootout?

Edited by Billsfan1972

I'm sorry. I didn't understand that when one offers an opinion on the board that others are not allowed to offer alternative impressions.

I stated what would make me happy. This response

Not necessarity

is the wrong one. How can you say "not necessarily" to what I know will make me happy?

Are you trying to tell me what would make me happy?

I don't understand.

what the hell is Big Time Throw %

Time to Throw needs to be improved. No O Line can hold back a defense on every passing snap for that long and maintain protection.

It would be interesting to break down throws based on when he stayed in the pocket vs. when he moved around and scrambled. His mobility is a big part of his game and keeps plays going, but would increase this stat.

It did look like he stayed in the pocket more than usual last week.

Except it works both ways because the Bills dominant run game and lack of turnovers helped them avoid comebacks from opposing teams. If the Bills get ahead they are tough. When you sling it all over the field the clock stops and teams hang around. You watched the Super Bowl. Some teams are built to play ahead and sometimes come back.

That's why he is 17-15.

God, hopefully one day, we wont be touting a 17-15 record.

I stated what would make me happy. This response

is the wrong one. How can you say "not necessarily" to what I know will make me happy?

Are you trying to tell me what would make me happy?

I don't understand.

When you indicated that a team would have to score more if they gained 80-100 yards more passing a game. That's not necessarily true and I indicated why above.

That has been my comment all along. I think TT is a good qb, who could be very good, but management and OC's have undermined him and basically with the trade of Watkins ensured that.

Heck Gaines may have been cut by LA as he was 4th on their depth chart when we got him. Probably could have traded for him with a # of options and he was not someone they were targeting. The Management wanted rid of Watkins and a draft pick for him. So stop using his good play to rationalize the trade.

I'm talking Offense in this thread.

Come on now. Hes on his 3rd OC. We dont pass more because we dont think TT is a good enough passer.

I hated the Sammy trade and it definitely hurt TT. But you could argue that our WRs are on par with the Lions and MS is a sleeper MVP candidate.

Thats sums it up pretty well. 300 is just a number. But in a league that begs you to pass, it is very hard to consistently win when you average 187 passing yards.

Most rational people think TT is a fine game manger type qb. But you have a very thin margin of error with game managers.

I think, for me he is moving from fine game manager to good QB. Now, in my world, good QB would be around the middle of the league. 109 QB rating to go along with his good feet over the last 6 starts is really encouraging. There is certainly progress. Will it continue? I don't know, I tend to doubt it as he is a little limited by his playmakers. In saying that he has continued to improve despite that. I know that the Bills staff is high on him.

It would be interesting to break down throws based on when he stayed in the pocket vs. when he moved around and scrambled. His mobility is a big part of his game and keeps plays going, but would increase this stat.

It did look like he stayed in the pocket more than usual last week.

His mobility is a big part of why that TTT number is high.

It also almost cost the Bills 2 HUGE sacks last Sunday.

Come on now. Hes on his 3rd OC. We dont pass more because we dont think TT is a good enough passer.

I hated the Sammy trade and it definitely hurt TT. But you could argue that our WRs are on par with the Lions and MS is a sleeper MVP candidate.

Tate, Marvin Jones, Golladay, Ebron > Matthews, Zay, Clay, Holmes

We have the worst pass catching group in the league.

His mobility is a big part of why that TTT number is high.

It also almost cost the Bills 2 HUGE sacks last Sunday.

And he spun out of one that no other QB in the NFL could have and ran for a 1st on 3rd and 6.