Whoa: A. Hernandez most severe case of CTE ever

Alphadawg7

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if they are finding CTE in Muay Thai fighters in Asia and Europe.

They start fighting without head gear when they're like 10. They also fight like twice a month when they turn pro.

When you get knocked out, they just get a stretcher, put you on it and take out out of the ring. Next fight on.

iYwrw8d.gif

I only posted this because it's awesome.

I wonder if they are finding CTE in Muay Thai fighters in Asia and Europe.

They start fighting without head gear when they're like 10. They also fight like twice a month when they turn pro.

When you get knocked out, they just get a stretcher, put you on it and take out out of the ring. Next fight on.

iYwrw8d.gif

I only posted this because it's awesome.

I have gone to some pro Muay Thai fights... wow

Ah, I see what you're saying. Good point. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thinking about it a little more, one conclusion you can derive: if 50% of the sample was 67 or older (the basic definition of 'median'), and 84% of the sample had severe (defined in the study as grade III or IV) CTE, then at least two thirds of the sample under the age of 67 had severe CTE (if all above 67 had severe CTE, that's 50%, and the remaining 34% have to come from the younger half the sample - so 68% of those under 67.) That's actually pretty scary, if you think about it. It would indicate that Hernandez's severity wasn't abnormal for his age.

Still a weak conclusion to draw from the data and numbers available. I'd love to have the raw data from that study to do an analysis of it myself.

I've been to several and they are really awesome.

One thing I learned, if you can't check a kick, you're done. If you have to protect yourself in the streets, go for the lead leg and not the head.

Yep.

Buddy was a pro boxer and went to Muay Thai.

Was 5-0 until he fought a good seasoned vet and got kicked hard in the face after he couldn't check a few leg kicks... ended his career

Just found out that Nick Buonoconti has it too. Never liked him as a player but feel sorry to hear that too.

No you didn't. CTE can only be diagnosed at autopsy, and Nick's still alive.

He is showing symptoms...but in a 76 year old, those symptoms could be due to other, unrelated conditions.

No you didn't. CTE can only be diagnosed at autopsy, and Nick's still alive.

He is showing symptoms...but in a 76 year old, those symptoms could be due to other, unrelated conditions.

Elderly men with failing brain function is my personal favorite symptom of CTE.

@FTFonFS1

.@criscarter80: Am I scared? Yes Im scared but football has given me everything I love in life. An emotional Cris Carter on CTE in the NFL

Cris should be fine. He has a fall guy.

The question and response:

When McDermott was asked if he ever had any concussions in his career and met the question with a laugh.

"I'm not sure," McDermott said with a laugh. "I can't remember."

I feel like this is like one of those weird, oddly specific baseball stats: Most-CTE-by-a-27-year-old-in-that-we've-measured-CTE-in-approximately-2-people-and-his-was-worse-than-the-other-guy's.

Exactly. Until we have a large sample study (which, of course, requires a lot of non-football playing men of various ages "donating their bodies to science"), all of these shock headlines are just that: attempts to shock, not backed up by real science. It doesn't mean that we should ignore the issue - it should be studied, and we should take whatever reasonable steps we can to mitigate potential damage - but we shouldn't jump wild conclusions like this one.