Ranking the Starting QB's Since Kelly

JPL7

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flutie, Bledsoe, Taylor, Fitz, Orton

Flutie- Ok, physically he was opposite of an NFL quarterback, but he he played hard and got the team to the playoffs more often than not.

Bledsoe-A star QB, last of his era where mobility wasn't needed. Wasn't necessarily bad, but could not get it done behind a bad O-Line unless a 500 record was OK with you.

Taylor-Jury is out but every fan of any other team now tells me that Bills fans are too picky and that Taylor is actually pretty good. They are the same people that always ball busted me on the Edwards/Losman etc type.

Fitz-A poor man's Flutie. Was a welcome relief after the nightmare they we know as the Losman/Edwards era. Often threw the interception at the worst time but then again I can see the gunslinging mentality, what QB could compete with the Chan Gailey defenses on the other side?

Orton-2014 was the one year the Playoffs could have happened in the past decade. The defense was firing at all cylinders. All we needed was an average stop gap level starter QB and not a screw up. Orton almost was that, but sadly at 9-7 fell short,. Even more unfortunate is that this is still good enough for number 5 in the last 20 years.

Flutie, Bledsoe, Taylor, Fitz, Orton

Flutie- Ok, physically he was opposite of an NFL quarterback, but he he played hard and got the team to the playoffs more often than not.

Bledsoe-A star QB, last of his era where mobility wasn't needed. Wasn't necessarily bad, but could not get it done behind a bad O-Line unless a 500 record was OK with you.

Taylor-Jury is out but every person into footbal that I know who is a fan of any other team now tells me that Bills fans are too picky and that Taylor is actually pretty good. They are the same people that always ball busted me on the Edwards/Losman etc type.

Fitz-A poor man's Flutie. Was a welcome relief after the nightmare they we know as the Losman/Edwards era. Often threw the interception at the worst time but then again I can see the gunslinging mentality, what QB could compete with the Chan Gailey defenses on the other side?

Orton-2014 was the one year the Playoffs could have happened in the past decade. The defense was firing at all cylinders. All we needed was an average stop gap level starter QB and not a screw up. Orton almost was that, but sadly at 9-7 fell short,. Even more unfortunate is that this is still good enough for number 5 in the last 20 years.

1. Tyrod Taylor (while I'm pro-Tyrod -- or at least he's earned his chance with what he's done the past two years, it's not that high a bar to clear)

2. Flutie (last qb to get them to the playoffs)

3. Fitzpatrick (a real best of times, worst of times qb)

4. Bledsoe (he was mediocre-at-best by the time he got to Buffalo)

5. Orton (we're really just getting to default at this point)

6. EJ Manuel (he was really more meh than terrible)

7. Trent Edwards (he had a smattering of good games, even if he ultimately fell completely apart)

Beyond this, shrug...

My memory of Flutie is that our defense won a lot of games for us back then. Flutie would play horribly for three quarters and then do something amazing in the 4th quarter to become the game's hero.

That's what good QBs do. Come through when they have to to get the win. The rest of the team BILLIEVES too which helps.

I grew up in Dallas and a HUGE fan in the Tom Landry era. Roger Staubach used to do this frequently too.

A W is a W is a W.

Edited by reddogblitz

That's what good QBs do. Come through when they have to to get the win. The rest of the team BILLIEVES too which helps.

I grew up in Dallas and a HUGE fan in the Tom Landry era. Roger Staubach used to do this frequently too.

A W is a W is a W.

Just like the fans of Teblow always said. :sick:

Orton

Bledsoe

Flutie

I don't want this to go on any more.

Orton was the best for sure. It's strange how eager the fans were to run him out. He averaged 250 yards per game and had a 65% completion rate.

And his WRs were the rookie Watkins and a bunch of has-beens.

Flutie was fun to watch but he was an ineffective QB. Bledsoe was a solid QB once upon a time, but when he arrived in Buffalo, that time had passed. Fitz was a good leader, not the best decision-maker, and didn't have a lot of weapons to throw to. Tyrod is pretty darn good compared to the guys on this list. He's got no one to throw to, so there's that.

Orton

Tyrod

Fitz

Bledsoe-Flutie

Edited by BeginnersMind

People associate winning with good QB play.

'

I do because we've all seen how bad QB play affects the bottom line. QBs job is to win and he has THE MOST influence over anybody on the team whether that happens or not. If Hotrod hits Goodwin wide open in the EZ the play before the missed FG WE WIN. But he missed and we ended up losing. He could have made up for the bad defense and kicking in that game all by himself (assuming Goodwin catches the pass).

Sometimes the difference is a team winning or losing is the QB. Like when Rob Johnson was QB we were gong nowhere. Then Flutie comes in and it's off to the races.

'

I do because we've all seen how bad QB play affects the bottom line. QBs job is to win and he has THE MOST influence over anybody on the team whether that happens or not. If Hotrod hits Goodwin wide open in the EZ the play before the missed FG WE WIN. But he missed and we ended up losing. He could have made up for the bad defense and kicking in that game all by himself (assuming Goodwin catches the pass).

Sometimes the difference is a team winning or losing is the QB. Like when Rob Johnson was QB we were gong nowhere. Then Flutie comes in and it's off to the races.

TJ Yates also won a playoff game. Is he good too?

Bledsoe

Flutie

Fitz

Taylor

Orton

For some reason or another I enjoyed watching the games when Fitz and Orton were playing even though the teams may not have been as good.

I agree. Orton actually got us a winning season and Fitz brought us the good squad and Fitzmagic, phenomenons that lasted bout 7 weeks, to go along with a huge contract extension. Fitz was fun, gotta give the guy credit he could throw a bad int and come right back and throw another, and then another.