Walter Becker (Steely Dan) has died

TPS

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Him @ Red Rocks last year:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-CpH8Ybi3uM

For live, hands on recording, that sounds gr8... Acoustics gr8 in that venue!

It rained and hailed at this show so hard the stairways turned into waterfalls, and the air smelled of pine from the hailstones ripping small branches off the evergreen trees.

Didn't regret staying one bit despite being soaked down to my drawers - very few bands can roll out the hits one-after-another like they do; one note in and you instantly recognize the tune.

Only a fool would say that... is one of their finest, and the cover is classic, but Do it Again, to me, is this weird painful trudge that is so not like the best of their catalogue.

No, I like Can't Buy A Thrill a lot, but I think the next 5 are better.... at the very least, they sound more like 'Steely Dan' to me.

paste magazine posted this audio set from what they call the best Dan concert, i tried finding it on internet.org to be able to grab the entire show rather than individual files, but I am listening to it right now and it is pretty damned good. so crisp

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/09/listen-to-what-is-probably-steely-dans-greatest-ev.html

always got a kick out of the laughing Spaniard (Dias?) at the end of Fool. There are a lot of underrated songs on Thrill. Brooklyn felt like a hauntingly lovely ballad. Always wanted to ride along with the midnight cruiser, and kings had some good guitar work. That said, it's hard to put another one of their albums below it...

No, I like Can't Buy A Thrill a lot, but I think the next 5 are better.... at the very least, they sound more like 'Steely Dan' to me.

I think we're all circling the same drain on this one, haha.

It's like, I have so many bands I'd list before the Dan on my 'must listen' list... but then, when I'm actually listening to SD, I just go, 'yeah, these guys are just so fuggin' ... right' .... every time. Great damn band!

Aja.... smoothest( but still rock) album ever made.

My Old School.... sheeeeee.

Took Michael Douglas 9 years to catch up to the royal scam.

Acquired taste or whatever it was, I'm glad I got it. )

Acquired taste or whatever it was, I'm glad I got it. )

It is because it is jazz. Jazz is acquired, some absolutely hate it, the snycopated beat, etc... There is a lot to it and it progresses w/more listening.

They took that early 1960s jazz sound, with the classics from the Jazz Age and did it to rock-n-roll.

Brubeck meets the Jazz Age set to rock that...

...Just as Chuck Berry invented the rock genre by putting the guitar to Big Band. Every influence after that becomes progressive rock.

That's my take with a not so trained ear.