Walter Becker (Steely Dan) has died

TPS

Me too. Such sad news. Been playing the catalog non-stop since this morning.

Sounds like DF wants to carry on, so it could be a bittersweet / amazing night if the show's still on.

If you get the chance to see Donald Fagen and the Nightflyers, I strongly encourage you to do so. He's touring with SD and also with a group of young musicians who've played together in Woodstock, for years. The play SD and some Fagen solo stuff, as well as some pretty great covers. A bit rawer than SD, but still incredibly tight and of very high quality (hey, it's Fagen, after all).

Don says he will carry on with SD. I'm sorta hoping he calls it the Steely Dan Band, or something. But I'm also guessing Walt wouldn't (and certainly doesn't) care, either way.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't Buy a Thrill is one of the best debut albums ever.

RIP Walter.

true however the next five were even better

Me too. Such sad news. Been playing the catalog non-stop since this morning.

Sounds like DF wants to carry on, so it could be a bittersweet / amazing night if the show's still on.

Countdown to estacy is my favorite with a great lead tune

a noticeable void in Rollingstone's tribute article, 10 essential songs of Steely Dan.

Yeah, I saw that list and was disappointed not to see Bodhisattva on it. When I first heard the album Countdown To Ecstasy, that song became an instant favorite. I was happy, however, that I have nine out of the ten they picked. (I don't have their comeback album.)

Playing Aja right now, I do think it's their best. Pretty seasonal, too... to me, Aja is a Fall album.

best sounding!

I think the rest after gaucho aren't in the same league

Edited by Helpmenow

best sounding!

I think the rest after gaucho aren't in the same league

Aja's sound is great, but I'd say Gaucho's the best sounding myself, though it's not in the same league with everything before it.

Agree on everything after it, one-and-done listens for me. Though it's not Steely Dan, I do like Night Fly.

Playing Aja right now, I do think it's their best. Pretty seasonal, too... to me, Aja is a Fall album.

It certainly represents the pinnacle of their sound, but for lyrics and edginess, I'll take Royal Scam.

It certainly represents the pinnacle of their sound, but for lyrics and edginess, I'll take Royal Scam.

I love Royal Scam, too. You can't go wrong with any of their 1st 6, though I would place Can't Buy A Thrill at the bottom of those.

Larry Carlton was awesome on the guitar along the other session guys

I love Royal Scam, too. You can't go wrong with any of their 1st 6, though I would place Can't Buy A Thrill at the bottom of those.

Agree here!!

Only a fool would say that... is one of their finest, and the cover is classic, but Do it Again, to me, is this weird painful trudge that is so not like the best of their catalogue.

Only a fool would say that... is one of their finest, and the cover is classic, but Do it Again, to me, is this weird painful trudge that is so not like the best of their catalogue.

always got a kick out of the laughing Spaniard (Dias?) at the end of Fool. There are a lot of underrated songs on Thrill. Brooklyn felt like a hauntingly lovely ballad. Always wanted to ride along with the midnight cruiser, and kings had some good guitar work. That said, it's hard to put another one of their albums below it...