Tyrod in Concussion protocol (update - Cleared 9/5)

YoloinOhio

This is how I see it. Taylor's not getting another extension, so him playing is like spinning our wheels.

You find out if Peterman has the goods, if he does. We know and can plan accordingly.

If not, well, we get our guy in the upcoming draft. Win win.

Yeah - I really don't see the argument with this. Maybe if Tyrod had been looking good before he was hurt, we could try to pretend he was live for another extension? Maybe in a different scheme that was power running and bombs? But TT was just plain horrible - QBR of 27.9 is close to as bad as it gets. He looked uncomfortable as heck out there.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N P is already running the new O better then T T,

TIme to do what?

No. Nei

Right now Taylor hasn't participated in team activities at all (if I'm reading the protocol correctly that would include any mental prep). McD has refused, and correctly so, to answer any questions about Tyrod, so how far into next week can he go before making a decision on his starter that gives the team in the best possible chance to win. After watching the defense against both

Baltimore and Detroit I think we can do some damage this year if the offense is even just good enough. What's the reasonable deadline, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday? Can't believe he'd put him out there without any preparation.

The fact that Taylor was at the game is actually pretty significant. It's called "cognitive rest." If he still really badly needed it, he sure wouldn't be at a football game watching his teammates and the plays he's going to run where he's really not getting that rest.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

I'm sorry Fig, but as much as I don't think Taylor's in Buffalo's long term future, he's got a better chance at it than Peterman

There's not much rationale for this IMO. A new staff with no ties to a marginal holdover of the previous regime could easily view the rookie as the better prospect going forward. If nothing else he's a cheap backup option, and since I expect very much they'll draft a QB high next year I don't see how Taylor has more of a future in Buffalo than Peterman.

I think we should start Peterman...what better way build his confidence , and get him acclimated to the NFL than playing the Jets.

Why do we need to do that if it's still doubtful he's an NFL starting QB?

This is how I see it. Taylor's not getting another extension, so him playing is like spinning our wheels.

You find out if Peterman has the goods, if he does. We know and can plan accordingly.

If not, well, we get our guy in the upcoming draft. Win win.

Prophesize away...

A lot can happen in the course of a season or two.

Yeah - I really don't see the argument with this. Maybe if Tyrod had been looking good before he was hurt, we could try to pretend he was live for another extension? Maybe in a different scheme that was power running and bombs? But TT was just plain horrible - QBR of 27.9 is close to as bad as it gets. He looked uncomfortable as heck out there.

I'm sorry, are you talking about preseason here?

And a preseason where the GM just publicly said that the offense he was operating really wasn't the offense he'd be operating during the regular season... are those the games you're talking about in terms of his QBR?

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-5-takeaways-from-1-on-1-interview-with-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-83117

It’s been a trying preseason for Tyrod Taylor. After having a down performance in Week Two of the preseason against the Philadelphia Eagles, Taylor was slow out of the gate in Baltimore on Saturday, and then suffered a concussion really early on. It’s created a lot of buzz for rookie quarterback Nathan Peterman within the fan base, and frankly, some have even wondered aloud if Peterman will get some starts in 2017. Even through all of the struggles, Brandon Beane made one thing very, very clear:“He's our starter. Make no bones about it... he's gonna lead us out there and that's really all we're focused on. Nathan's a rookie. This takes time, that's a big jump. He's making his progressions, we think he's done a nice job. Tyrod has played in this league. He's started a lot of games. He deserves this opportunity, and that's really all we're focused on is him being our starter this year.

It makes sense in the fact that the Bills owe it to themselves to see if Taylor, a starter for the past two seasons, can progress in the ways that they want him to. If he does, they’ve got a bonafide starting quarterback on their team heading into the future, and he could serve as a good bridge to whenever the new young quarterback — which it still seems likely that they’re going to take eventually — is ready to play. Peterman has not looked like a starting quarterback in the preseason. Has he made some nice throws, and shown an overall comfortable stature in the pocket? Yes, he has. However, he’s been underwhelming as compared to the way some of the fan base has been building him up. He needs time, and the Bills understand that. Get used to seeing No. 5 behind center as long as he’s healthy, or until it becomes abundantly clear that he just doesn’t have it in this offense.

Reality check.

There's not much rationale for this IMO. A new staff with no ties to a marginal holdover of the previous regime could easily view the rookie as the better prospect going forward. If nothing else he's a cheap backup option, and since I expect very much they'll draft a QB high next year I don't see how Taylor has more of a future in Buffalo than Peterman.

There's not much rationale in this except for the fact that Beane and McDermott pretty consistently say that Taylor is the Bills starting QB.

So, if Taylor is the Bills starting QB, that means he's the guy on the field during the regular season.

And if he's the guy on the field during the regular season, that means he's the QB of the Buffalo Bills when they're either winning or losing games either largely or partially or in spite of him.

And if he's the guy on the field during the regular season, and he plays really well, and the Buffalo Bills win a lot of games and make the playoffs and win a game or two or three, that means that Beane and McDermott are going to have to seriously decide whether he can be the long term answer.

And if we win a bunch of games and make the playoffs, we're going to be at the bottom of round one and will need to find a trade partner if we want to trade up to get another QB because we're so unhappy with Taylor because if they win all those games with Taylor playing really well and you think they're going into the following season saying Nate Peterman is the starting QB, you're nuts.

Now yes, some of those are a stretch, particularly the 2nd to last one. But if Taylor plays pretty well and the team is winning, Peterman won't even see the field.

How can a guy who the coaches aren't even likely hoping to see on the football field in the regular season have more of a chance at a future in Buffalo than the guy who's going to have the opportunity to actually prove he is in live game action?

There's not much rationale in this except for the fact that Beane and McDermott pretty consistently say that Taylor is the Bills starting QB.

So, if Taylor is the Bills starting QB, that means he's the guy on the field during the regular season.

And if he's the guy on the field during the regular season, that means he's the QB of the Buffalo Bills when they're either winning or losing games either largely or partially or in spite of him.

And if he's the guy on the field during the regular season, and he plays really well, and the Buffalo Bills win a lot of games and make the playoffs and win a game or two or three, that means that Beane and McDermott are going to have to seriously decide whether he can be the long term answer.

And if we win a bunch of games and make the playoffs, we're going to be at the bottom of round one and will need to find a trade partner if we want to trade up to get another QB because we're so unhappy with Taylor because if they win all those games with Taylor playing really well and you think they're going into the following season saying Nate Peterman is the starting QB, you're nuts.

Now yes, some of those are a stretch, particularly the 2nd to last one. But if Taylor plays pretty well and the team is winning, Peterman won't even see the field.

How can a guy who the coaches aren't even likely hoping to see on the football field in the regular season have more of a chance at a future in Buffalo than the guy who's going to have the opportunity to actually prove he is in live game action?

Because he's tied to the team for four years.

And we know what Taylor has and it won't be enough to earn another extension.

That's how.

And it's not a prophecy, it's an educated opinion.

Edited by likei've

Right now Taylor hasn't participated in team activities at all (if I'm reading the protocol correctly that would include any mental prep). McD has refused, and correctly so, to answer any questions about Tyrod, so how far into next week can he go before making a decision on his starter that gives the team in the best possible chance to win. After watching the defense against both

Baltimore and Detroit I think we can do some damage this year if the offense is even just good enough. What's the reasonable deadline, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday? Can't believe he'd put him out there without any preparation.

Wednesday would likely be the deadline.

I'm at the point now where it's year 3. We know what Tyrod is....I don't really have any interest in seeing it anymore. Peterman might end up being a pedestrian career backup....or he might not. We don't know what Peterman is. I am much more interested in finding that out, then in seeing what we already know with Tyrod. That's just my opinion.

It's also funny how Sal and everyone on WGR keep saying Tyrod shouldn't lose the job unless he does something to lose it? Not just allow Petermans play in the preseason to take it? That's not how the big boy world works unfortunately. Matt Cassel did nothing to "lose" the job in the preseason a few years ago. But Tyrod Taylor went out and won it based on his play. Now the same guy is underwhelming and looking meh...and another kid is out playing him and IMO deserves the job. Let the best guy for the offense play. This offense is a drop back and throw from the pocket...it's not hard to see which QB is better at that.

What are Beane and McDermott saying? Dispute that.

Why?

What is the coach and GM supposed to say?

Trent Edwards was Buffalo's starter until he got sent packing two weeks into the season.

Do you honesty believe every coach and GM's decision is set in stone?

With Russ Brandon still around? ha

Edited by Figster

I'm at the point now where it's year 3. We know what Tyrod is....I don't really have any interest in seeing it anymore. Peterman might end up being a pedestrian career backup....or he might not. We don't know what Peterman is. I am much more interested in finding that out, then in seeing what we already know with Tyrod. That's just my opinion.

It's also funny how Sal and everyone on WGR keep saying Tyrod shouldn't lose the job unless he does something to lose it? Not just allow Petermans play in the preseason to take it? That's not how the big boy world works unfortunately. Matt Cassel did nothing to "lose" the job in the preseason a few years ago. But Tyrod Taylor went out and won it based on his play. Now the same guy is underwhelming and looking meh...and another kid is out playing him and IMO deserves the job. Let the best guy for the offense play. This offense is a drop back and throw from the pocket...it's not hard to see which QB is better at that.

All three QBs in that camp rotated with the #1 offense and Cassel was the clear #3 from practices and Preseason games. Not even close to the same scenario. Peterman wasn't even performing better than Yates in camp and only was promoted to #2 after Yates failed so badly against MIN in the preseason opener. Nice try.

Super Intendent Charlmers!

:lol :lol:

They need it. The NP ballwashing is getting out of hand. He isnt the best qb in his draft class let alone the roster.The kid is impressive but nowhere near ready to start over Tyrod. Remember when Tyrod didnt throw a TD in pre-season then bombed the Ej lovers to hell with a bomb to Harvin? Same things gonna happen when he starts this year.