McDermott and Beane - aligned?

GunnerBill

I think they are aligned but I sensed a little bit of dissatifaction coming from Mcdermott after the trade. Like he realized this was a step back and wasnt really thrilled with the impact this was going to have on this season. That however if true is a good thing. It means Beane is his own guy and has a certain amount of power. I dont want a puppet as a GM.

I think it was a very difficult decision for Beane and the Bills. As he had indicated, they had several (I think 4?) offers for Sammy in trade, and they had to weigh through a number of things in their decision making process. My understanding from my reading and from Beane's press conference is he told McD before the Vikings game that talks were heating up, and that the GM, HC, and owner all discussed it before they agreed to the deal. So McD was certainly part of the process.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said that but by all means create the narrative that I did.

I said TPegs still has a weak grasp(no clue) of how to handle the situation.

Keep in mind that this guy was a casual sports fan to put in mildly.

He LIVED in OP during the SB era and never attended a game.

I think this is just a guy who made a fortune doing boring things in a field that wasn't inclusive to all of his family and he wanted to do something fun with the rest of his life that he could share with family.

His financial advisor tried to tell him that it wasn't necessarily going to be as fun as it seemed.......but TPegs had made up his mind.

Now he is finding out that it's a thankless job if you aren't skilled at it.

I don't know whether what you opine regarding Pegs' motivations is true or not. I think the rest of my post that you didn't copy spells it out pretty clearly that even if he didn't know what he was doing then, he is learning and appears to have turned the corner. I don't think it's fair to say Marrone or Rex didn't "respect" him.

Why not accomplish both? Other teams seem to remain competitive without gutting the team of talent and you want to know why?

Good coaching/systems IMO,

and a FO That lets the GM and HC do their job without interference...

The HC just chose his GM a few months ago. They're on the same page.

As for competing, I'm not convinced that the Bills are any better or worse right now than they were right before the trades. They swapped a more talented, but less productive WR for a less talented, but more productive one. They traded a man coverage corner who had one good and one bad year for a zone corner that had one good, one injured and one bad year. Makes sense seeing as how we are a zone team this season. Plus they picked up draft capital in the process. You know, they might actually be better off in the short term and long term now that I think about it. Hey, they did do both.

Edited by BarleyNY

I don't know whether what you opine regarding Pegs' motivations is true or not. I think the rest of my post that you didn't copy spells it out pretty clearly that even if he didn't know what he was doing then, he is learning and appears to have turned the corner. I don't think it's fair to say Marrone or Rex didn't "respect" him.

Turning perhaps........but what corner are you talking about?

How do you know it's not a circle?

I agree he has progressed past the abrasive Greggo/Marrone type and the sloppy Mularkey/Rex type......and now he is at the simplify and synergize Jauron/McDermott type.

The HC just chose his GM a few months ago. They're on the same page.

As for competing, I'm not convinced that the Bills are any better or worse right now than they were right before the trades. They swapped a more talented, but less productive WR for a less talented, but more productive one. They traded a mon coverage corner who had one good and one bad year for a zone corner that had one good, one injured and one bad year. Makes sense seeing as how we are a zone team this season. Plus they picked up draft capital in the process. You know, they might actually be better off in the short term now that I think about it. Hey, they did do both.

Are you counting all the off season work Taylor and Watkins put in together?

I disagree,

I am trying to keep an open mind though ...

Edited by Figster

Are you counting all the off season work Taylor and Watkins put in together?

I disagree,

I am trying to keep an open mind though ...

Stuff like that gets overplayed every year. "Look who's working out together" articles are nice fluff pieces, but rarely amount to anything on the field. Besides, it was highly unlikely that either was going to be here after this season anyway.

They have a long leash despite your protests to the contrary.

That's what Terry said about Rex.

it was Whaley that convinced him and he inherited Whaley.

Whaley convinced him to hire Rex? Rex convinced him to hire Rex when he watched the 2014 Super Bowl with Terry and Kim at thier house.

And got a receiver back who's put up better numbers than Sammy has. Sammy certainly has more potential, but to date hasn't shown it.

Yes and got two players back in return, one who's put up better numbers than Sammy has.

So you expect McDermott to say back in the spring, "We don't care about winning now, we're going for 2018 and beyond?" It amazes me here how everyone takes everything coaches/GM's, Owners even players say at 100% truth. No one in that position is going to tell you exactly what their thoughts truly are. They are going to tell you want they want you to hear and nothing more or less.

They gave nearly identical numbers considering Sammy played less gms then Matthews Sammy averages 5yds per catch more. JM is a average wr at best nothing special please make it the last time u even try to compare the 2.

Turning perhaps........but what corner are you talking about?

How do you know it's not a circle?

I agree he has progressed past the abrasive Greggo/Marrone type and the sloppy Mularkey/Rex type......and now he is at the simplify and synergize Jauron/McDermott type.

As noted in your other thread, the comparison between Jauron and McD is at best tenuous, and likely ridiculous.

I believe they are. Mcdermott didnt pick up Watkins option and Beane traded him. Seems they have a similar view of the player. Darby is more surprising but i guess they didnt like the scheme fit. Even though those trades are seperate i dont think buffalo could spin that they didnt lose alot if Matthews and Gaines were not a part of it.

As noted in your other thread, the comparison between Jauron and McD is at best tenuous, and likely ridiculous.

Fwiw Greggo is the only one of those other 5 to not get at least two shots at being a HC in the NFL.......and if not for the bounty-gate thing he probably does get a second shot because a defense he coordinated actually won a Super Bowl.

It's easy to discredit all of the past Bills HC's........but remember that McDermott could easily end up on the scrap heap and never achieve even the success or chances those guys get.

Bottom line is McDermott has EVERYTHING to prove.........he doesn't deserve a free pass just for trying to do something different from the last two HC's.

Fwiw Greggo is the only one of those other 5 to not get at least two shots at being a HC in the NFL.......and if not for the bounty-gate thing he probably does get a second shot because a defense he coordinated actually won a Super Bowl.

It's easy to discredit all of the past Bills HC's........but remember that McDermott could easily end up on the scrap heap and never achieve even the success or chances those guys get.

Bottom line is McDermott has EVERYTHING to prove.........he doesn't deserve a free pass just for trying to do something different from the last two HC's.

Who here is giving him a free pass?

Who here is giving him a free pass?

Anyone trusting in draft picks over talent.

You have no idea what he and Beane will do with those picks.

There are three stages in a fans relationship with a coach/GM:

1. He thinks like me

2. Wait......what?

3. Fire his ass and get somebody who sees what I do!

McDermott is in stage 1.........so people who favor a tank job are loving him........what they don't get is that he isn't trying to tank........he is going to try to keep games in hand and shoot for 9 wins.....take 7 or 8..........probably get a mid first round draft pick and not have enough ammo to trade up for the top QB's.......then try to use those other picks to stock his roster with his own versions of players he probably already has/had but chose to jettison.

I expect stage two to be in effect about mid-season.......but we shall see.