We should have kept Jones and traded Yates

uticaclub

What I don't understand is this. 1.They have TT which was a backup under Dennison in Baltimore. 2. They sign Yates as a backup to teach the offense. 3 They draft a QB that has a decent arm at best that was never projected to go earlier than the 5th round.4 They complete ignored CJ upside.So they trade him for a worse player (Yates). Now they have realized or realizing that trading CJ will eventually bite them. Why? Because there is no guarantee that a 1st rounder is gonna pan out and it's an expensive price. How many really have???

Yates has actually won a post season NFL playoff game, so he is at least proven to be "serviceable". Certainly can say the same thing about Cardale.

Cardale is bigger, less motivated EJ Manuel. And them both of them, can you fix their inaccurate arms? Highly unlikely. Good thing to ship Cardale off, send a message to the rest of the team.... reports were out he was more interested in flying back to Ohio than succeeded at TC.

We should be happy we got anything for Cardale. One more wasted Whaley/Rex legacy pick.

Its what ive read and heard and no Im not going to go back and conduct 48 hours of verifiable research to prove my point. I have better things to do. Feel free to find the articles that say the opposite. Think youll be taking a pretty long look.

I'm pretty familiar with Cardale. I've seen every snap that he's taken since high school. Here's one from a few months ago talking about him picking up the offense and working hard: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00.htm. I'm just not a fan of lazy analysis in general. He scored a 25 on the Wonderlic (significantly higher than HOFers Marino and Kelly). https://www.thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-football-news/heres-what-ohio-states-cardale-jones-reportedly-scored-on-the-wonderlic-buckeyes/amp

TT and Yates are nothing alike. One is a starter that is 15-14 and has scored 47 TDs vs. 14 turnovers. One is a 3rd string QB that has been bad whenever he's been on the field. Peterman has a chance to be the long-term #2 IMO. If TT doesn't make it to 2018 though it will be a 1st round pick under center. They aren't going to punt on a loaded QB draft, with multiple 1sts, to hand the keys to a 5th rounder going into year 2. It is Tyrod or a 2018 first next year.

They are alike in as much as the have both shown us who they are. IMO, neither will appreciably improve.

I agree that TT is a starter, though a mediocre one and TJ is a bad second string QB at best.

In terms of punting, NEVER underestimate the Bills GMs ability to screw up a draft. We haven't seen this crew draft yet so it remains to be seen.

Edited by Buffalo Boy

What I don't understand is this. 1.They have TT which was a backup under Dennison in Baltimore. 2. They sign Yates as a backup to teach the offense. 3 They draft a QB that has a decent arm at best that was never projected to go earlier than the 5th round.4 They complete ignored CJ upside.So they trade him for a worse player (Yates). Now they have realized or realizing that trading CJ will eventually bite them. Why? Because there is no guarantee that a 1st rounder is gonna pan out and it's an expensive price. How many really have???

I disagree on Peterman, Lance Zierlien one of the best in the business had him going in the 3rd-4th and no they didn't

trade Cardale for Yates. And Zierlein was not the only one, I think most would conclude the Bills got Peterman a round or 2 early.

And how do you conclude they realize trading Cardale will eventually bite them? Because Antonio Gates said from watching him a few weeks in camp Cardale has an "unlimited ceiling"? So did Jemarcus Russell. Cardale, his size is obvious, now just get him to be able to work like a dog a la Tom Brady and magically start throwing the ball accurately.

They are alike in as much as the have both shown us who they are. IMO, neither will appreciably improve.

I agree that TT is a starter, though a mediocre one and TJ is a bad second string QB at best.

In terms of punting, NEVER underestimate the Bills GMs ability to screw up a draft. We haven't seen this crew draft yet so it remains to be seen.

Tom Brady and TJ Yates are alike by that same token.

I really believe that they acquired that 2018 1st to make sure that they can address QB if need be. They are going to give Tyrod every chance to seize the job and if not they are going to take a big swing at one of these guys in the 2018 class.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Peterman is the answer to that question. The QB depth chart model appears to be:

Starter But that is the whole point why keep Yates if he is not better? CJ was cheaper to keep. Like Bilichek says. The best will stay no matter the contract or what round you were picked. That's the way it should be. Successful teams keep the best players. Not who is supposed to be the best. This is also why the Pats are so successful. Free agents, late round draft picks you name it. They don't just fall in love like we do and let go of great players.

Vet back up

Dev prospect

Peterman is a better prospect and Lynn was willing to give something for a guy that was goning to be cut

There is no upside if hes not a worker and doesnt understand the offense. This is a guy who lost his starting job in college. Dont think thats because hes a Tom Brady clone.

Do did Peterman. But CJ did not ever loose a game he started and OSU did not win a Championship without him despite.

I disagree on Peterman, Lance Zierlien one of the best in the business had him going in the 3rd-4th and no they didn't

trade Cardale for Yates. And Zierlein was not the only one, I think most would conclude the Bills got Peterman a round or 2 early.

And how do you conclude they realize trading Cardale will eventually bite them? Because Antonio Gates said from watching him a few weeks in camp Cardale has an "unlimited ceiling"? So did Jemarcus Russell. Cardale, his size is obvious, now just get him to be able to work like a dog a la Tom Brady and magically start throwing the ball accurately.

It's called working with the young man not trade him to try and keep Yates over him. Edited by Noogie75

Whoever said he was released because he was a "Rex pick" besides all the armchair GM's on TSW?

Because Bills have unceremoniously ridded themselves of many Whaley/Rex picks/signings since McDictator took full control.

WR Marcus Easley, WR Kolby Listenbee, QB C Jones, TE Gerald Christian, K Dan Carpenter, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, LS Garrison Sanborn, S Phillip Thomas, S Aaron Williams, S Corey Graham, no match RB Mike Gillislee, OT Cyrus Kouandjio, QB Josh Woodrum, CB Jonathan Dowling, TE Blake Annen, C Patrick Lewis.

Very little difference in the Whaley/Rex guys they dumped vs the new guys they signed as replacements. Virtually all would be depth players so one can only surmise they were dumped, in part but not 100% for, because they wanted Whaley/Rex guys out and their guys in.

And they are not done yet.

Edited by cba fan

Do did Peterman. But CJ did not ever loose a game he started and OSU did not win a Championship without him despite.

It's called working with the young man not trade him to try and keep Yates over him.

Plus Russell was a hype he did not win against teams like Fl. With plenty of tries he was not a champ. Therefore, a first round QB does not guarantee his the guy. So now everyone thinks your gonna find a Brady. Once again there are only a few coaches that can do that with a late round pick very few. Which is called evaluation of talent. Not guessing what the experts say.

First preseason game with no game planning and Jones hasn't even played yet.

Lets see:

1. Taylor was 5 of 8 for 46 yards and looked very good and decisive with the ball
  2. Yates (A VETERAN) was 6 of 11 for 48 yards and looked serviceable
  3. Peterman (A ROOKIE) was 13 of 25 for 112 with a TD, and he looked very good playing with the 3rd team.

But yea, keeps Jones based on nothing to compare. I think they did exactly what they needed to do and they got value for a scrub.

I personally thought the team looked much improved compared to last season.

Yates has actually won a post season NFL playoff game, so he is at least proven to be "serviceable". Certainly can say the same thing about Cardale. This why we have not been to the playoffs For 17 years and counting because of how your thinking. By the way Cardale's debut was a lot more exciting than Peterman's.

Cardale is bigger, less motivated EJ Manuel. And them both of them, can you fix their inaccurate arms? Highly unlikely. Good thing to ship Cardale off, send a message to the rest of the team.... reports were out he was more interested in flying back to Ohio than succeeded at TC.

We should be happy we got anything for Cardale. One more wasted Whaley/Rex legacy pick.

Lets see:

• Taylor was 5 of 8 for 46 yards and looked very good and decisive with the ball
  • Yates (A VETERAN) was 6 of 11 for 48 yards and looked serviceable
  • Peterman (A ROOKIE) was 13 of 25 for 112 with a TD, and he looked very good playing with the 3rd team.
But yea, keeps Jones based on nothing to compare. I think they did exactly what they needed to do and they got value for a scrub.

Yates has actually won a post season NFL playoff game, so he is at least proven to be "serviceable". Certainly can say the same thing about Cardale. This why we have not been to the playoffs For 17 years and counting because of how your thinking. By the way Cardale's debut was a lot more exciting than Peterman's.

Lets see:

• Taylor was 5 of 8 for 46 yards and looked very good and decisive with the ball
  • Yates (A VETERAN) was 6 of 11 for 48 yards and looked serviceable
  • Peterman (A ROOKIE) was 13 of 25 for 112 with a TD, and he looked very good playing with the 3rd team.

If we are talking about scrubs. CJ is a scrub that won a national champ against Nick Sabon's best. Plus 11-0 as a starter. Now, TT 10 years playing top level football. 4 at V Tech 4 in Baltimore, plus 2 as a starter. And still has to prove himself as a passer. In fact, if he did not take a pay cut he would be lucky to hold a clipboard. Peterman got beat out then left the SEC for a weaker conference. Now since he beat Clemson he is better than CJ with a average arm at best. Now Yates won a playoff game so did Tim Tebow who ran and passed for 300 yards over the Steelers does that make him better. Yates is lucky to be in the league. This why we will not win very much because the Bills have failed to actually evaluate talent than just let go of a better player to favor another player. Edited by Noogie75