Josh Rosen's Comments on academics and football

Looks like I incidentally irritated some snowflakes. Plenty of folks go to big time schools, play big time sports and get degrees in good majors too. It just takes dedication and effort. Yes you need to sacrifice party time and hanging out at the quad. Sure there are exceptions.

Quotes from the article, WHICH I READ prior to my conclusion:

Exhibit a:

"human beings don't belong in school with our schedules."

Exhibit b:

"Look, football and school don't go together," Rosen said. "They just don't. Trying to do both is like trying to do two full-time jobs."

(My quote: By the way there are people in this country that work 3 full time jobs to get the money this kids is per year in free education for spending a few hours a day getting free massages and watching football clips- there are plenty of people that worked their way through school that hear this LOUD AND CLEAR)

Exhibit c:

"No one in their right mind should have a football player's schedule and go to school..."

Exhibit d:

"It's not that some players shouldn't be in school; it's just that universities should help them more...."

Exhibit e:

"We're still amateurs though ... Gotta love non-profits #NCAA"

So yeah he conflated in points about SAT thresholds but if you can't see his underlying theme its blindness, marginal reading comprehension, are work ethically challenged too or resemble the spokesman.

See above

Also see above... and color if compelled Lesnowflake

Snowflakes. What a tool of a human you are. Find some loser who tells you want to think and move onto the next super cool phrases! You're a winner & not Josh Rosen

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get where you're coming from (really I do!), but it may not be quite the same. Is someone else making billions off of your efforts without sharing with you?

Woah there... not sharing? I understand it's not proportional, perhaps... but keep in mind

1) he's handed 30-60k per year worth of room, board, stipend, education tutoring, free equipment, jerseys, transportation and FREE exposure to a potential multimillion dollar career.

2) if he want to quit football pay tuition for all of this, he can AND they can certainly replace him in a second with someone else willing to endure the "difficult schedule"

3) $72 million is ucla's entire athletic dept revenue. ucla did about $6 billion in revenue including hospital, research grants, etc. the tuition alone pulled in over a billion. Get some perspective

Snowflakes. What a tool of a human you are. Find some loser who tells you want to think and move onto the next super cool phrases! You're a winner & not Josh Rosen

Loser, tool because I feel a kid getting a full scholarship to a great school should be grateful and feel privileged he has an opportunity to be accelerated to the top 1%, instead of vilifying the very institution he chose to use to get there because they ask a lot of them. And that he feels he can point to a few disenfranchised students, who may not have otherwise been admitted as evidence of the evils of the institution?

Snowflake is emblematic of the mindset of today's youth. These kids who are think they are so special and unique to the world entitlements should knock down their door and that expectations of hard work are abusive...

Yes if that stance is a tool stance, well then I'll happily be a tool, because at least tools are useful.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Loser, tool because I feel a kid getting a full scholarship to a great school should be grateful and feel privileged he has an opportunity to be accelerated to the top 1%, instead of vilifying the very institution he chose to use to get there because they ask a lot of them. And that he feels he can point to a few disenfranchised students, who may not have otherwise been admitted as evidence of the evils of the institution?

Snowflake is emblematic of the mindset of today's youth. These kids who are think they are so special and unique to the world entitlements should knock down their door and that expectations of hard work are abusive...

Yes if that stance is a tool stance, well then I'll happily be a tool, because at least tools are useful.

Josh Rosen is a tool. The story is quite simple as that. Rosen just likes to hear himself talk. He already made a splash by saying that he didn't believe in god (he's entitled to his opinion, but it was an unnecessary attention grab imo). I view this story much the same. He likes stirring things up by throwing quotes out there. None of what he says has much substance. Josh Rosen isn't saying anything that drunken idiots don't already talk about at the bar. Nothing he said was original or intellectually stimulating. If football "dents" his ability to perform academically, why didn't he turn down football to focus on school? Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Josh Rosen is a tool. The story is quite simple as that. Rosen just likes to hear himself talk. He already made a splash by saying that he didn't believe in god (he's entitled to his opinion, but it was an unnecessary attention grab imo). I view this story much the same. He likes stirring things up by throwing quotes out there. None of what he says has much substance. Josh Rosen isn't saying anything that drunken idiots don't already talk about at the bar. Nothing he said was original or intellectually stimulating.

I see I thought he was an ingrate, but I could understand he's just an attention whore... to you're point this thread therefore unnecessarily contributes to his syndrome...Thx!

I see I thought he was an ingrate, but I could understand he's just an attention whore... to you're point this thread therefore unnecessarily contributes to his syndrome...Thx!

The dude brought a hot tub to his dorm that UCLA made him remove. He has attention whore written all over him.

Are you also generating millions of dollars and not getting a cent of it too?

It's amazing how many people missed the point of the article. It's probably the media's fault because they sensationalize everything. He will be fine. But the schools aren't truly interested in the best interests of their student athletes. They use and abuse these kids.

And he made very average talents like Jordan Payton (5th rounder) & Thomas Duarte (7th) look very good in college. If he stays healthy, he will challenge for the #1 overall pick and I hope he falls.

I definitely could guess you were from Mississippi.

It's also pretty clear you've never been a college athlete. Kids from good financial homes and school struggle in college. Some of these athletes are being completely unprepared at colleges.

Also, why is the NBA and NFL the only sports that make you go to college? I wonder what the difference is between those sports and tennis or golf.

No, Ive never been a college athlete. But again, no one is making college athletes continue to stay in college or continue to be an athlete if doing one or both is too hard. I am not denying the fact it may be difficult, but its also not the only difficulty facing college students, and athletes arent the only ones who have full time jobs while attending college. Your statement that kids from good financial homes struggle in school is a little baseless, I dont doubt its true, but also not an outlier.

I also dont feel like its up to College to prepare someone for life. You pay to learn, not for them to make you more mature. That should start with parents, and be coupled with the fact that by 18 or 19 years old you shouldnt be a complete child any longer. I dont disagree that the NCAA is a sham, but I am also not going to feel bad for student athletes who do profit from both being in college and also being an athlete.

Also on your point about being made to go to college...no one, not a single person has ever been "made" to go to college. They could just as easily not go to college, which means they wouldnt be able to pursue the NFL. Kind of like how I couldnt pursue my job without going to college.

Furthermore, can we please do away with the poor kid from the South makes it big stereotype like everyone who guys to Alabama to play football is some podunk idiot with superior physical talents like Shaq's character in Blue Chips? The one which Rosen seems to reference here. I dont have the stats, but athletes are groomed long before they enter college and passing, lineman and other camps arent cheap.

No, Ive never been a college athlete. But again, no one is making college athletes continue to stay in college or continue to be an athlete if doing one or both is too hard. I am not denying the fact it may be difficult, but its also not the only difficulty facing college students, and athletes arent the only ones who have full time jobs while attending college. Your statement that kids from good financial homes struggle in school is a little baseless, I dont doubt its true, but also not an outlier.

I also dont feel like its up to College to prepare someone for life. You pay to learn, not for them to make you more mature. That should start with parents, and be coupled with the fact that by 18 or 19 years old you shouldnt be a complete child any longer. I dont disagree that the NCAA is a sham, but I am also not going to feel bad for student athletes who do profit from both being in college and also being an athlete.

Also on your point about being made to go to college...no one, not a single person has ever been "made" to go to college. They could just as easily not go to college, which means they wouldnt be able to pursue the NFL. Kind of like how I couldnt pursue my job without going to college.

Furthermore, can we please do away with the poor kid from the South makes it big stereotype like everyone who guys to Alabama to play football is some podunk idiot with superior physical talents like Shaq's character in Blue Chips? The one which Rosen seems to reference here. I dont have the stats, but athletes are groomed long before they enter college and passing, lineman and other camps arent cheap.

Excellent post!

The dude brought a hot tub to his dorm that UCLA made him remove. He has attention whore written all over him.

I suspect it was so he could work hot tubbing into his inhumane schedule...

We are 0 - 3 in recent years with CA QB's and it will be 0 - 4 if we draft this ass clown.

Can Rosen explain why Stanford has a much better team than UCLA while Stanford is a far superior school academically? With UCLA's much lower admission standards, UCLA should be crushing them.

Alabama has good academics. This guy is clueless.

It's not as if the athletes at UCLA are all rocket scientists. Average ACT is 21.5. 15% are illiterate.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html

The guy has no class. If you don't like Trump, don't play on his golf course.https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/11/11406540/josh-rosen-donald-trump-golf-course-hat-ucla-quarterback

The dude has a hot tub in his dorm room. What a flake. CA QBs are generally wusses. Seems like this idiot is no exception.

https://lockerdome.com/bustedcoverage/8145164120228628

He is complaining that you can't be a student-athlete. I knew a football player at Syracuse who was a ChemE major and had a 3.7 GPA. Maybe he should spend less time in the hot tub and more time in the books.

Edited by Sky Diver

Baby boomers digging holes and yelling down at the people stuck in them that they are lazy. Even though we are kind of lazy......

UNFORTUNATELY, BOOMERS show no appetite for maintaining the assets their parents accumulated. Public higher education, nearly free for boomers, has become dauntingly expensive. Infrastructure is neither built nor maintained, and not even “responsible” boomers take this seriously. It was then-candidates John McCain and Hillary Clinton, those paragons of boomer probity, who proposed a gas-tax holiday in 2008, the year the Highway Trust Fund went bust. Federal research and development funding also suffered, with dispiriting consequences for the future. Smartphones may be fairly recent, but their core technologies were developed with government money long ago. Enjoy your iPhone now, because your iCopter and iKidney will be indefinitely delayed.

The consequences of boomer overconsumption, underinvestment, and appetite for risk reveal themselves every time a bridge or bank collapses, but can be summarized in America’s prolonged economic mediocrity. Finding decent growth requires stretching all the way back to the 1990s, and even so, the 1990s barely edged out 1970s’ squalor on a per capita GDP basis. Thanks to boomer policies, the new normal is 1.6 percent real growth, well below the 2.5 to 3.5 percent rates prevailing from the 1950s to the 1980s. For the young, the price will be incomes 30 percent to 50 percent lower than they could have been.

Edited by Billschinatown

We are 0 - 3 in recent years with CA QB's and it will be 0 - 4 if we draft this ass clown.

Can Rosen explain why Stanford has a much better team than UCLA while Stanford is a far superior school academically? With UCLA's much lower admission standards, UCLA should be crushing them.

Alabama has good academics. This guy is clueless.

It's not as if the athletes at UCLA are all rocket scientists. Average ACT is 21.5. 15% are illiterate.http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/01/us/college-scores/index.html

The guy has no class. If you don't like Trump, don't play on his golf course.https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/11/11406540/josh-rosen-donald-trump-golf-course-hat-ucla-quarterback

The dude has a hot tub in his dorm room. What a flake. CA QBs are generally wusses. Seems like this idiot is no exception.https://lockerdome.com/bustedcoverage/8145164120228628

He is complaining that you can't be a student-athlete. I knew a football player at Syracuse who was a ChemE major and had a 3.7 GPA. Maybe he should spend less time in the hot tub and more time in the books.

You really have zero idea of what you're talking about. Yes, Stanford is harder to get into and ranked higher than UCLA, but UCLA is by just about every measure regarded as one of the top 15 universities in the world (e.g., https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking#survey-answer ; http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2016.html ). Comparing it to Alabama, a school I have no beef with, is laughable.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, and Carson Palmer are from California. None are "wusses."

Edited by dave mcbride

That's how it works with schools...they know how it works going in...they get free scholarships, room and board, a stipend now, a free education and the ability to show they should be drafted into the NFL/NBA, etc...

Not to mention they are "celebrities" on campus and have hot chicks throwing themselves at them and theu get more ass than a New Era field toilet seat on game day.

That's questionable as best.

Woah there... not sharing? I understand it's not proportional, perhaps... but keep in mind

1) he's handed 30-60k per year worth of room, board, stipend, education tutoring, free equipment, jerseys, transportation and FREE exposure to a potential multimillion dollar career.

2) if he want to quit football pay tuition for all of this, he can AND they can certainly replace him in a second with someone else willing to endure the "difficult schedule"

3) $72 million is ucla's entire athletic dept revenue. ucla did about $6 billion in revenue including hospital, research grants, etc. the tuition alone pulled in over a billion. Get some perspective

1) He's not handed anything. It's a trade.

2) Nah. I don't think they can replace a QB w/ his upside and pedigree. He was a damn good get for a school like UCLA.

3) Comparing revenue generated by a hospital and state/federal grants to an athletic department is misguided, perhaps lacking perspective.

Why not?

Would probably want to know why the team expected him to practice and learn the play book ;)

While there are some excellent posts - Hapless, McBride, C. Biscuit for example - there seem to be an inordinate number of grouchy ones. Might help to have your morning coffee before posting.

I am grouchy before and after my java fix ;)

He comes across as a entitled,whiny little B word.

You really have zero idea of what you're talking about. Yes, Stanford is harder to get into and ranked higher than UCLA, but UCLA is by just about every measure regarded as one of the top 15 universities in the world (e.g., https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2017/world-ranking#survey-answer ; http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2016.html ). Comparing it to Alabama, a school I have no beef with, is laughable.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, and Carson Palmer are from California. None are "wusses."

UCLA is a fine school, but top 15 school in the world? You can't be serious. Stanford is a top 15 school in the world, and they have a real football team compared to UCLA.

What do you know about the academics at The University of Alabama? I know a lot about them. My son graduated with a BS/MS in CS from Alabama in May, and is doing quite well working as a software engineer for a company in CA recognized for hiring the top technical talent in the world. He earned his degrees for free too with Alabama's generous merit scholarships. Roll Tide!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

No need to put down UA. Many of their students are the best of the best, and a lot of their grads do quite well. I know from personal experience. 40% of the freshman class has an ACT score >30.

Edited by Sky Diver

UCLA is a top 15 school in the world? You can't be serious.

What do you know about the academics at The University of Alabama? I know a lot about it. My son graduated with a BS/MS in CS from Alabama in May, and is doing quite well working as a software engineer for a company recognized for hiring the top technical talent in the world. He earned his degrees for free too with Alabama's generous merit scholarships.

You're right. UCLA was "only" 23. Alabama was 103. https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/compare?xwalk_id=110662&xwalk_id=100751

And it's great for anyone to graduate from college. Again, the point that seems to be missed here is schools aren't looking out for their athletes' long term interests. They just want them to be eligible. And if you want to pretend that football players at Alabama and Stanford are being held to the same academic standards, more power to you. But it's wrong.

Would probably want to know why the team expected him to practice and learn the play book ;)

I am grouchy before and after my java fix ;)

He comes across as a entitled,whiny little B word.

I get how you could perceive it that way but it's wrong. He does everything that is being asked of him. But it's also saying it's wrong that he has to choose football over a class he should take.

And the bigger point is why are football and basketball the only sports that force you go to college and not get paid right away?

Edited by C.Biscuit97

UCLA is a top 15 school in the world? You can't be serious. Stanford is a top 15 school in the world, and they have a real football team compared to UCLA.

What do you know about the academics at The University of Alabama? I know a lot about them. My son graduated with a BS/MS in CS from Alabama in May, and is doing quite well working as a software engineer for a company in CA recognized for hiring the top technical talent in the world. He earned his degrees for free too with Alabama's generous merit scholarships. Roll Tide!

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/ronald-nelson-turned-down-every-ivy-league-school-for-university-of-alabama-2015-5

I know a lot about Alabama and publish authors who teach there (I'm a book editor at Oxford University Press.) It's a perfectly fine public university but it's simply not in the same league as a UCLA, Michigan, or Berkeley. The latter three are by consensus among the best universities in the world. It's not like I'm a snob about this - I went to UB for undergrad (a fairly mediocre public university but a place where you can get a perfectly fine education.) Anecdotal stories about someone doing well at Alabama are all well and good, but in the aggregate it's not even close in terms of quality (meaning measurables) to the top UCs in areas like faculty research output, the quality of the undergrad student body, and the grad student population (especially). Of course, it doesn't mean that smart people don't go to places like Alabama, get very good educations, and do well in life (as you well know). If one is from Alabama, it's the logical place to go.

Edited by dave mcbride

I know a lot about Alabama and publish authors who teach there (I'm a book editor at Oxford University Press.) It's a perfectly fine public university but it's simply not in the same league as a UCLA, Michigan, or Berkeley. The latter three are by consensus among the best universities in the world. It's not like I'm a snob about this - I went to UB for undergrad (a fairly mediocre public university but a place where you can get a perfectly fine education.) Anecdotal stories about someone doing well at Alabama are all well and good, but in the aggregate it's not even close in terms of quality (meaning measurables) to the top UCs in areas like faculty research output, the quality of the undergrad student body, and the grad student population (especially). Of course, it doesn't mean that smart people don't go to places like Alabama, get very good educations, and do well in life (as you well know). If one is from Alabama, it's the logical place to go.

So....you're educated, informed and unbiased. Who wants your opinion??? :)

1) He's not handed anything. It's a trade.

2) Nah. I don't think they can replace a QB w/ his upside and pedigree. He was a damn good get for a school like UCLA.

3) Comparing revenue generated by a hospital and state/federal grants to an athletic department is misguided, perhaps lacking perspective.

If it's a trade it's not something for nothing anyway, but fair.

On point 3 my i was merely putting this narrative of 'evil universities exploiting these poor kids by asking for more of their time in exchange for hundreds of thousands for billions' as some said, i context.

If UCLA lost its entire athletic department revenue it wouldn't even appear in the annual revenue statement as it's lost in the rounding error.