Best Athlete Ever

If you really research MJ's foray into baseball, it's suggested he would have broken into the big leagues within a year if he hadn't returned to basketball. He was improving that steadily.

Yep. The media loved to rag on him during his baseball stint but when you actually look at what he was able to do it was very impressive. They even made a 30 for 30 on his baseball run which is a very good watch if you haven't seen it yet.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always get curious how these will turn (and this one was unique!)

There seem to be a few camps in most:

The guys that do a single thing better than anyone else (Bolt as fastest)

The guys that proved they could do 2 different things at a professional level (MJ, Deion)

The guys that do all the things very very well but in a freakish body (big men that move like world class smaller guys: Lebron)

And then Bo

Whoever said Jim Thorpe was on point.

American gold medalist in decathlon. All American football player. Pro football player. Pro baseball player and even had a small stint as a pro basketball player

Man could do it all

Whoever said Jim Thorpe was on point.

American gold medalist in decathlon. All American football player. Pro football player. Pro baseball player and even had a small stint as a pro basketball player

Man could do it all

I almost typed "bo and Thorpe" but it wasn't as impactful as simply bo!

Plus, I have no real reference on Thorpe other than he's always sounded fascinating as an athlete

Edited by NoSaint

I almost typed "bo and Thorpe" but it wasn't as impactful as simply bo!

Plus, I have no real reference on Thorpe other than he's always sounded fascinating as an athlete

Ran a 10 second 100.

4:30 mile

220 in 21.8

440 in 51.8

Long jump 23.6 ft

High jump 6.5

Shot put 47.9 ft

Discus 136 ft

Javelin 163 ft

880 in 1:57

BEAST

Ran a 10 second 100.

4:30 mile

220 in 21.8

440 in 51.8

Long jump 23.6 ft

High jump 6.5

Shot put 47.9 ft

Discus 136 ft

Javelin 163 ft

880 in 1:57

BEAST

Oh, I get that-- but he's still hard to wrap my head around.

I've even heard he won awards at ballroom dancing and was a great billiards player.

I just don't know how to transfer all those data points into a tangible person. I guess in some ways that underscores how one of a kind he was

Oh, I get that-- but he's still hard to wrap my head around.

I've even heard he won awards at ballroom dancing and was a great billiards player.

I just don't know how to transfer all those data points into a tangible person. I guess in some ways that underscores how one of a kind he was

Yea I heard the ballroom dancing as well.

To put it simply he was just the perfect size of speed, strength and grace for sports

Not overly big and powerful yet not too small and scrawny.

Let him be an all American and HoF football player. A pretty good baseball player in the dead ball era. Batted over .300 his final year and was great outfielder. A really good basketball player

And a transcendent decathlon athlete. I've only heard stories from my grandparents as well but he is easily one of the best athletes of all time

He was his own track team :P

Jim Brown was:

1st team All American in football.

1st team All American in Lacrosse

Started on the Syracuse basketball team

Oh - I almost forgot: he was arguably the G.O.A.T. in the NFL. He was the same size as DE's but DB's couldn't catch him.

Jim Brown can absolutely be in the discussion

Yea I heard the ballroom dancing as well.

To put it simply he was just the perfect size of speed, strength and grace for sports

Not overly big and powerful yet not too small and scrawny.

Let him be an all American and HoF football player. A pretty good baseball player in the dead ball era. Batted over .300 his final year and was great outfielder. A really good basketball player

And a transcendent decathlon athlete. I've only heard stories from my grandparents as well but he is easily one of the best athletes of all time

He was his own track team :P

Truly it seems like if we dropped one of today's greatest (say a bo type player) into a sports landscape 100 years prior to their time. They'd skate through every competition on every front.

It's just the most real way I've been able to picture it through a relatable lens.

Truly it seems like if we dropped one of today's greatest (say a bo type player) into a sports landscape 100 years prior to their time. They'd skate through every competition on every front.

It's just the most real way I've been able to picture it through a relatable lens.

I'm not always sure about that.

Wilt chamberlain would have dominated any era.

Babe Ruth threw 95 and was the most feared hitter and I bet he'd still be great today

Some transcendent athletes are just that... transcendent

They had ways to measure speeds. Babe was easily over 90+

They say Walter Johnson reached 99 on an army base and they could measure the velocity of bullets there

With a ballistic pendulum, which doesn't really work for baseballs.

With a ballistic pendulum, which doesn't really work for baseballs.

I agree with that 100% lol but the army was the one who tested him out so they must have had some gauge as to determine or calculate his speed. why wasn't it 93? What made them gauge it to 99

Either or Walter Johnson is widely regarded as one of the hardest throwers of a baseball ever. Ty Cobb said he was the most powerful arm ever inside a ballpark.

Jim Brown was:

1st team All American in football.

1st team All American in Lacrosse

Started on the Syracuse basketball team

Oh - I almost forgot: he was arguably the G.O.A.T. in the NFL. He was the same size as DE's but DB's couldn't catch him.

Yeah, Brown was ridiculous.

So was Bo. The football skills were obvious but look what the guy could do on a baseball field; in a sport where guys work for years to hone their skills, he was a natural. He was only going to get better in baseball.

I think you have to dominate at least one sport to be in the conversation, that's my one hesitation with Bo.

Phelps - Lebron - Jim Brown, all up there.

Bo was an All Star in baseball. As a fielder, he was probably better than anyone since. As a hitter he was still learning but already a feared power hitter.

What other sports did Phelps or Lebron dominate?

Bo was an All Star in baseball. As a fielder, he was probably better than anyone since. As a hitter he was still learning but already a feared power hitter.

What other sports did Phelps or Lebron dominate?

I'm honestly wondering. Did bo ever win a gold glove?