Did the Bills try rebuilding in 2010 by going 4-12?

With NE as is, WC is all there is. And they did go 9-7, 8-8.

Disagree. During Brady's time in the AFC East, he really hasn't had to face other elite QB's within the division.

The Bills average during the drought has been 6-10. Yeah, they gone 9-7 and 8-8 twice but they've also gone 3-13, 4-12 and 5-11 in those years as well. Otherwise it's mainly been 6-10 and 7-9. All of which have not been good enough.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I fully understand the 'tanking' point of view in terms of practicality (aka highest likelihood to find a franchise QB), but I'm under the notion that no team and roster has the notion of doing that intentionally because coaches and players on the entirety of a roster have too much pride to go through the motions of a near-0-16 season. It's just a matter of circumstance and sucking enough. When the Colts landed Luck the one year Manning couldn't play, Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter were just THAT bad.

With guys like McCoy, Dareus/KW/Hughes, Clay, Sammy, and a top OL on the roster, we simply don't have a window to do such a thing right now, especially with Kyle and Lorenzo liking McDermott's "win-now" (yet paradoxically build for the future) mantra. In about 2-3 years when many of those guys regress due to age, we can revisit this topic when our roster may or may not be significantly worse. Like, in other words, I think we still have some really ***ing good players and that we should have made the WC at least once these past two years with a proper 4-3 disciplined head coach, but hypotheticals as a Bills fan will obviously kill ya. Anywhere between 5 and 10 wins is possible this season IMO depending on health and circumstance.

Tankmaster Tim Murray conveniently traded away Enroth who was playing too good for our march to the highest probability in the lottery, and that may end up being the only time we'll get to witness such a blatant tanking move as that in Buffalo sports history.

And regardless, when it's all said and done, wherever we do end up picking - whether it be top 5 or mediocre-esque leading to a top 15 pick to miss out on the better prospects, we just need to hit on our draft picks period, "obviously." Let's see if Beane can do that, and if not, we'll spin our wheels all over again with another regime soon enough.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

Disagree. During Brady's time in the AFC East, he really hasn't had to face other elite QB's within the division.

The Bills average during the drought has been 6-10. Yeah, they gone 9-7 and 8-8 twice but they've also gone 3-13, 4-12 and 5-11 in those years as well. Otherwise it's mainly been 6-10 and 7-9. All of which have not been good enough.

They are head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Doesn't matter who they're facing... 5 rings. They haven't had a point differential less than 100 since 2005. Top offense, near the top defense every year. Brady has won the division every year hes started since 2002.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/

I fully understand the 'tanking' point of view in terms of practicality (aka highest likelihood to find a franchise QB), but I'm under the notion that no team and roster has the notion of doing that intentionally because coaches and players on the entirety of a roster have too much pride to go through the motions of a near-0-16 season. It's just a matter of circumstance and sucking enough. When the Colts landed Luck the one year Manning couldn't play, Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter were just THAT bad.

With guys like McCoy, Dareus/KW/Hughes, Clay, Sammy, and a top OL on the roster, we simply don't have a window to do such a thing right now, especially with Kyle and Lorenzo liking McDermott's "win-now" (yet paradoxically build for the future) mantra. In about 2-3 years when many of those guys regress due to age, we can revisit this topic when our roster may or may not be significantly worse. Like, in other words, I think we still have some really ***ing good players and that we should have made the WC at least once these past two years with a proper 4-3 disciplined head coach, but hypotheticals as a Bills fan will obviously kill ya. Anywhere between 5 and 10 wins is possible this season IMO depending on health and circumstance.

Tankmaster Tim Murray conveniently traded away Enroth who was playing too good for our march to the highest probability in the lottery, and that may end up being the only time we'll get to witness such a blatant tanking move as that in Buffalo sports history.

And regardless, when it's all said and done, wherever we do end up picking - whether it be top 5 or mediocre-esque leading to a top 15 pick to miss out on the better prospects, we just need to hit on our draft picks period, "obviously." Let's see if Beane can do that, and if not, we'll spin our wheels all over again with another regime soon enough.

It worked for Tampa Bay and Tennessee and they got good QB's and are on the rebound.

They are head and shoulders above the rest of the league. Doesn't matter who they're facing... 5 rings. They haven't had a point differential less than 100 since 2005. Top offense, near the top defense every year. Brady has won the division every year hes started since 2002.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/

Teams like the Ravens and Broncos have multiple wins against the Patriots in the playoffs, so it can be done.

Also, Bill Polian feels the Patriots aren't invincible either: http://nesn.com/2017/05/bill-polian-has-some-fighting-words-for-patriots-says-they-arent-invincible/amp/

Yeah, but again (and similar to what I brought up about the Colts), those Tampa and Tennessee teams were just visibly awful - similar to our 2010 squad that over-achieved once Chan's offense got into rhythm near the end of the year. They simply happened to lose the games that we didn't.

Yeah, but again (and similar to what I brought up about the Colts), those Tampa and Tennessee teams were just visibly awful - similar to our 2010 squad that over-achieved once Chan's offense got into rhythm near the end of the year. They simply happened to lose the games that we didn't.

It seems the Bills plan is to try and make the playoffs as well as rebuild at the same time and you can't do both which is why they continue to stay around 6-10 and 7-9.

If that's what it takes, make the team awful for a few seasons to get elite players, then so be it. People forget the Bills records from 1984-86, they were 2-14, 2-14 and 4-12 before they started to turn the corner. By being that awful, the Bills were able to draft a lot of good players and became a long term contender. I'll take a few years of suffering to get to having a long term contender again vice just hoping for a Wild Card berth.

I think rebuilding does have value. It is about doing it at the right time and in the right way. The Buccs did not tank for Winston.... Greg Sciano didn't start that season thinking "we will be awful and I will lose my job". The actual problem for the Bills is that the whole period without a franchise Quarterback they have almost always had too many good position players to bottom out. That Buccs team that bombed had a below average QB (Glennon) and Gerald McCoy and Vincent Jackson and basically nothing else.

They were definitely in re build mode in 2010. You don't draft cj spiller when you already have lynch and Jackson if you're not in a re building mode.

Also Gailey named Edwards the starter only to cut him after 2 games into the season. It was fairly obvious Gailey and nix were starting from scratch. This current bills team would destroy the 2010 bills. We just have so much more talent now than we did in 2010.

I believe McDermott has a vision/plan and he'll make good on it. We have holes yes, but this team is in good position whether we finish 2-12 or 8-8

Illogical thought since tanking isn't required to land a "Franchise QB" and even if a team does pursue such a strategy there's no guarantee that it pays off as evidenced by the many 1st round QB busts.

This topic is about 2010. We would have had Cam

I'm tired of seeing this team go 6-10/7-9. Either build the team to win the division or draft a QB every year until one pans out or pony up the draft picks to move up in the draft to draft a QB at the top of the draft.

By just trying to make it in as a Wild Card year and year is a weak mentality and has gotten the team nowhere except 6-10/7-9.

Guys huddle round - build the team to win a wildcard and not the division, ok?

Ok

End of meeting

Guys huddle round - build the team to win a wildcard and not the division, ok?

Ok

End of meeting

There's been no talk from this team in many, many years about winning the division and winning the Super Bowl, only "make the playoffs." So, is that the Bills championship, just making the playoffs? That's a very lame goal!

2010 was a rebuild. The team had regressed into the least talented team in the league. If they weren't treating it like a rebuild they would have spent money on vet free agents to suppliment the roster and attempted to win as many games as possible .

Disagree. When asked how many games he expected to win, Gailey stated "all of them."

I think when they started 0-8 that year relocation seemed like very real if I remember right?

It was Week 4 when the Jets came in here and beat us like 38-14. I live in Jersey so I got to hear mainly Jets fans talk about the game. There was one big Jet fan Joe Benigno in this area who on his show was expressing how bad he felt for the Bills and their fans. I think he was under the impression the Buffalo Bills would be no more.

Disagree. When asked how many games he expected to win, Gailey stated "all of them."

Lol - what the hell else is a coach supposed to say to the public? "We currently suck and I really hope we go winless - while I miraculously keep my my job after admitting to going through the motions this year - so I can build on next year with a higher draft pick!"

There's been no talk from this team in many, many years about winning the division and winning the Super Bowl, only "make the playoffs." So, is that the Bills championship, just making the playoffs? That's a very lame goal!

Making it into the ****ing playoffs is the first step towards the super bowl, obviously. With what all we've done recently, that'd be huge progress. Besides, each and every team spits out the same old cliches about giving their fanbase and city a championship it deserves and all that jazz. Kyle has said numerous times this season how he wants to be a champion in Buffalo.

Let me guess - you want to go ahead and nitpick and whine about McDermott's "playoff caliber" motto not being "super bowl caliber" instead, too, right?

I've mentioned I understand and agree with your point of view to a certain extent, but now your replies later in this thread are devolving into horrid hot takes.

Edited by JimKellyTryouts