Did the Bills try rebuilding in 2010 by going 4-12?

I got on WGR550 this afternoon and discussed the Bills basically doing the exact same stuff over the past 17 years which has led them to a 6-10/7-9 average. Sal C. got riled up when I said the Bills have no real plan of building this team into a winner as they continually do the same things (hope to make the playoffs) and he hates the idea of a full rebuild (meaning “tank”). I like Sal’s commentary normally, but I disagree with him on this one and I like Bulldog’s take on the subject. I’m on at 32:54:http://www.wgr550.com/media/audio-channel/7-27-schopp-and-bulldog-hour-1mp3

After the guys hung up, Sal said they tried the rebuild/be bad intentionally approach in 2010. I can’t believe that Sal C. actually thinks the Bills were trying to rebuild in 2010, give me a break! The 2010 Bills team did not tank intentionally, they were just a terrible team! That was Cooter’s [Gailey] first year with the team and if I’m not mistaken it was Boss Hogg’s [Nix] first as a GM and he did a terrible job as GM. Sal also ranted and raved about the terrible QB’s in that draft class after Newton, but I feel the Bills need to keep drafting QB's until one pans out. The Patriots have drafted more QB’s during the Bills playoff drought than the Bills have and the Patriots have an elite franchise QB. It goes to show that what I said on the show was correct that the Bills have had no plan on how to build the franchise and have not built the team to win the division. I like that Bulldog agreed with me and said he’s so tired of finishing 6-10 and 7-9.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

So which is it? Keep drafting QBs or tank? You can do one without having to do the other. And tanking for a top pick doesn't guarantee you success.

My opinion is you can find a great QB without having the top pick but it's all still a crap shoot.

Edited by Bangarang

I don't know that they "tanked" in 2010.... if they had they would have finished 0-16 because they were 0-8 then went 4-4 the rest of the way. But I do think they expected to be a bad team and didn't do much to stop themselves being bad..... it was a mini "reset" that year in my view.

I am not a tanker either by the way... but if you start 0-8 then make sure you finish with the #1 overall pick. I don't think this team is bad enough that you could tank even if you wanted to. If they let Kyle, Wood, Richie Tyrod, McCoy, Watkins and maybe Jerry Hughes go after this season then the team might be bad enough to tank in 2018 if that is the plan.

Edited by GunnerBill

So which is it? Keep drafting QBs or tank? You can do one without having to do the other. And tanking for a top pick doesn't guarantee you success.

My opinion is you can find a great QB without having the top pick but it's all still a crap shoot.

I agree it should be one or another. IMO, the Bills should rebuild the team the right way. Trade players first and stockpile high draft picks. Rebuild for two to three years. Draft a QB high that has the potential to be an elite franchise QB. Next, start by building up both the offensive and defensive lines. If you look at successful teams like the Patriots and Raiders, both teams have solid pass protecting O-lines along with great QB's. Kyle Williams, Incognito and Wood are nearing the end of their careers, so you might as well try and get assets for them now. For players that have shorter playing careers such as RB's and DB's, I would wait to draft good one's until the team is close to being a playoff team. Otherwise I would have journeymen fill the positions until they can be replaced.

The point about continually drafting QB's is that the Bills don't intend on rebuilding (or "tanking"), so if they don't plan on giving up multiple first round picks (like Washington did for RGIII (three first round draft picks))), then they need to keep drafting QB's very frequently until one pans out.

I don't know that they "tanked" in 2010.... if they had they would have finished 0-16 because they were 0-8 then went 4-4 the rest of the way. But I do think they expected to be a bad team and didn't do much to stop themselves being bad..... it was a mini "reset" that year in my view.

I am not a tanker either by the way... but if you start 0-8 then make sure you finish with the #1 overall pick. I don't think this team is bad enough that you could tank even if you wanted to. If they let Kyle, Wood, Richie Tyrod, McCoy, Watkins and maybe Jerry Hughes go after this season then the team might be bad enough to tank in 2018 if that is the plan.

I don't think they tanked either, but Sal C. thinks they did. I just think the team was poorly put together.

I don't think they tanked either, but Sal C. thinks they did. I just think the team was poorly put together.

Yep but I think they intentionally didn't do much to solve that. I think Nix was thinking "this team won't win more than 4 or 5 games but I am not going to try quick fix patch ups." Tanking to me is the intentional shedding of assets - what the Bills did in 2010 was just let a bad team get bad results.

I agree it should be one or another. IMO, the Bills should rebuild the team the right way. Trade players first and stockpile high draft picks. Rebuild for two to three years. Draft a QB high that has the potential to be an elite franchise QB. Next, start by building up both the offensive and defensive lines. If you look at successful teams like the Patriots and Raiders, both teams have solid pass protecting O-lines along with great QB's. Kyle Williams, Incognito and Wood are nearing the end of their careers, so you might as well try and get assets for them now. For players that have shorter playing careers such as RB's and DB's, I would wait to draft good one's until the team is close to being a playoff team. Otherwise I would have journeymen fill the positions until they can be replaced.

The point about continually drafting QB's is that the Bills don't intend on rebuilding (or "tanking"), so if they don't plan on giving up multiple first round picks (like Washington did for RGIII (three first round draft picks))), then they need to keep drafting QB's very frequently until one pans out.

This subject continues to pop up and I'll say again that it's not practical for QB development at the NFL level.

We're just into the 2nd day of training camp, so how about letting the season play out and wait to see what happens with their two 1st round picks in the '18 draft.

if they tanked we would have Cam Newton. what QB are we going to miss out on this year because you guys want to go 6-10

If we start 0-8 I will want them to lose out. I don't think this team is bad enough to go 0-8 though. As I say next year there is an opportunity to shed some of the talent and be bad enough to lose a lot of games - if that is your thing. For me I will see how this year plays out first.

Edited by GunnerBill

Gailey inherited a roster with very little "top" talent, filled with smaller players that were suited for Jauron's Tampa 2 defense. They switched to a 3-4, with very few players that fit. Guys like Spencer Johnson were playing OLB FCOL.On offense, Fred Jackson (Lynch was still here IIRC, but I believe he was traded around that time) and Lee Evans were their best players. *Remember Cornell Green??? That team started 0-8, and finished 4-4 with a weak schedule down the stretch. They were "supposed" to be a 3-5 win team goin in IMO. It wasn't a "tank", they just weren't very good.

if they tanked we would have Cam Newton. what QB are we going to miss out on this year because you guys want to go 6-10

I'm tired of seeing this team go 6-10/7-9. Either build the team to win the division or draft a QB every year until one pans out or pony up the draft picks to move up in the draft to draft a QB at the top of the draft.

By just trying to make it in as a Wild Card year and year is a weak mentality and has gotten the team nowhere except 6-10/7-9.

I'm tired of seeing this team go 6-10/7-9. Either build the team to win the division or draft a QB every year until one pans out or pony up the draft picks to move up in the draft to draft a QB at the top of the draft.

By just trying to make it in as a Wild Card year and year is a weak mentality and has gotten the team nowhere except 6-10/7-9.

That assumes it's roster that's the problem. I would start with coaches who only know how to play football one way and focus on things that don't matter like their system, while ignoring things that do matter like penalties and turnovers.

The same team wins our division literally every year. We could have like any other QB (brees, rivers, rodgers), and we're not winning the division this year.

We drafted a QB each of the last 2 years btw.

Who wants the Bills to have a 6-10 record?

everyone who was against tanking for the past 15 years knowing full well we didn't have a QB or a roster that could win us the Super Bowl. they must want a .500 team. there's no way anyone was watching some of these drought teams thinking we had a chance. especially when we started 0-8 in 2010 as per the topic. 2011, 2012, 2013 we had no shot. we could have had a QB by now and some other key pieces if we would have sacrificed one or two of those miserable seasons

everyone who was against tanking for the past 15 years knowing full well we didn't have a QB or a roster that could win us the Super Bowl. they must want a .500 team. there's no way anyone was watching some of these drought teams thinking we had a chance. especially when we started 0-8 in 2010 as per the topic. 2011, 2012, 2013 we had no shot. we could have had a QB by now and some other key pieces if we would have sacrificed one or two of those miserable seasons

Illogical thought since tanking isn't required to land a "Franchise QB" and even if a team does pursue such a strategy there's no guarantee that it pays off as evidenced by the many 1st round QB busts.

+1

With NE as is, WC is all there is. And they did go 9-7, 8-8.