All-Drought Teams

Rico

Bledsoe had NO D in 2002 and is the sole reason we got to 8-8.

He smoked Kelly's single season passing record..... not something we have to look forward to with TT.

...and as good as he was the first half of 2002 he had 8 TDs and 10 INTs the second half of the year. He followed that with the worst quarterbacked year of the drought. As a member of the Bills he was 23-25 with a 59.1% completion, 55 TDs & 43 INTs and averaged 211 yards a game. He also got sacked 140 times and fumbled 35. People remember Bledsoe WAY more fondly than they should. He had a few good years in New England, 8 good games in Buffalo but in general was not good. He was bad in a Bills uniform. Additionally, he played with arguably the most talented teams of the drought. Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and as good as he was the first half of 2002 he had 8 TDs and 10 INTs the second half of the year. He followed that with the worst quarterbacked year of the drought. As a member of the Bills he was 23-25 with a 59.1% completion, 55 TDs & 43 INTs and averaged 211 yards a game. He also got sacked 140 times and fumbled 35. People remember Bledsoe WAY more fondly than they should. He had a few good years in New England, 8 good games in Buffalo but in general was not good. He was bad in a Bills uniform. Additionally, he played with arguably the most talented teams of the drought.

Oh I agree he played some bad ball but behind that line and with those weapons he's a pretty good pure passer probably.

If just giving all pro style honors he's definitely not the guy. If assembling a team for a game, he probably bumps up the list a few spots

Oh I agree he played some bad ball but behind that line and with those weapons he's a pretty good pure passer probably.

If just giving all pro style honors he's definitely not the guy. If assembling a team for a game, he probably bumps up the list a few spots

He could always sling it. That's why he went 1. He couldn't move, wasn't very smart and couldn't handle the rush. In shorts and a t shirt he's one of the great QBs ever. He was a good QB at that time with all of those weapons (at least for a few weeks).

I'd maybe have him 4th in the drought era behind Tyrod-Fitz and Orton. Bledsoe is a guy though that has largely been given a free pass for the drought even though he probably quarterbacked the best teams in that timeframe. That 2004 team was especially talented.

But they could throw the ball!! Bledsoe averaged a whopping 2.6 more passing yards a game than Tyrod.

One thing of note: It's very recent but to some degree it's a different era-- both WRs and QBs are much more protected now. Comparatively it's the difference between 3-4 teams averaging under 200ypg passing last year vs more than a dozen in 2004.

I'd probably go Tyrod if pressed for a real choice but I think it's closer than most consider if actually building a team for Sunday

One thing of note: It's very recent but to some degree it's a different era-- both WRs and QBs are much more protected now. Comparatively it's the difference between 3-4 teams averaging under 200ypg passing last year vs more than a dozen in 2004.

I'd probably go Tyrod if pressed for a real choice but I think it's closer than most consider if actually building a team for Sunday

Despite the era difference Bledsoe averaged 4 more passing attempts a game. So while the league in general throws more now that isn't the case with the Bills. It is an easier time to throw the ball now but it's certainly offset some by the increased attempts.

Inspired by the most-underrated thread...

1st Team, All-Drought Stars

WR Eric Moulds

WR Sammy Watkins

TE Charles Clay

T Jason Peters

T Cordy Glenn

G Richie Incognito

G Andy Levitre

C Eric Wood

QB Tyrod Taylor

RB LeSean McCoy

FB Sam Gash (can't help it)

DE Mario Williams

DE Jerry Hughes

DT Pat Williams

DT Marcell Dareus

LB London Fletcher

LB Takeo Spikes

LB Sam Cowart (can't help it)

CB Nate Clements

CB Terrence McGee

S Jairus Byrd

S Lawyer Milloy

I think this is pretty close. I can't not have Kyle in... so he goes in for Pat Williams who I only remember right at the tail end of his Bills career. I'd also go Greer and Gilmore over McGee (who I always thought was overrated). I think at receiver I agree with Moulds and Sammy, but Evans and Stevie have legitimate shots. Stevie gets a lot of heat and deservedly for some of his antics at times but his 3 back to back 1,000 yard seasons with 23 touchdowns in that time is one of the best, most consistent, periods of play by a receiver in franchise history. I think there is a danger people forget how good he was on a team that basically had no other legitimate receiving threat at the time and as a result Stevie saw a lot of double coverage.

Inspired by the most-underrated thread...

WR Eric Moulds

WR Sammy Watkins

TE Charles Clay

T Jason Peters

T Cordy Glenn

G Richie Incognito

G Andy Levitre

C Eric Wood

QB Tyrod Taylor

RB LeSean McCoy

FB Sam Gash (can't help it)

DE Mario Williams

DE Jerry Hughes

DT Pat Williams

DT Marcell Dareus

LB London Fletcher

LB Takeo Spikes

LB Sam Cowart (can't help it)

CB Nate Clements

CB Terrence McGee

S Jairus Byrd

S Lawyer Milloy

2nd Team, All-Drought Stars

WR Lee Evans

WR Steve Johnson

TE Scott Chandler

T Jonas Jennings

T Langston Walker (?)

G Ruben Brown

G Brad Butler

C Trey Teague

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

RB Fred Jackson

FB Jerome Felton (?)

DE Aaron Schobel

DE Phil Hansen

DT Kyle Williams

DT Sam Adams

LB Lorenzo Alexander

LB Kiko Alonso

LB John Holecek

CB Jabari Greer

CB Stephon Gilmore

S Aaron Williams

S George Wilson

1st Team, All-Drought Suck

WR T.J. Graham

WR Ruvell Martin

TE Robert Royal

T Greg Jerman

T Mike Williams

G Colin Brown

G Mike Pucillo

C Duke Preston

QB EJ Manuel

RB Reggie Bush

FB Glenn Gronkowski

DE Aaron Maybin

DE Chris Kelsay

DT John McCargo

DT Tiny Tim Anderson

LB Corey Moore

LB Keith Ellison

LB Eddie Robinson

CB Justin Rogers

CB Chris Watson

S Lil Donte Whitner (captain)

S Coy Wire

2nd Team, All-Drought Suck

WR James Hardy

WR Bobby Shaw (?)

TE Tim Euhus (?)

T Cornell Green

T Ed Wang

G Bennie Anderson

G Erik Pears

C Melvin Fowler

QB J.P. Losman

RB Bryce Brown

FB Phillip Crosby (?)

DE Chris Ellis

DE Erik Flowers

DT Lauvale Sape (!)

DT Torell Troup

LB John DiGiorgio

LB Kelvin Sheppard

LB Leon Joe (!)

CB Leodis McKelvin (sorry)

CB Drayton Florence (?)

S Traveras Tillman

S Jonathan Meeks

For my first team, I'd want Moulds/Price with Bledsoe.

I'd definitely put Alonso on one of the suck teams.

This is a cool thread.

Great post, Adding some Head coaches to the gong show!

Wade Phillips, I get it he was there in 98 but he was also there for the start of the draught. Has to be your HC

Mike Mularkey

Dick Jauron

Chan Galley .333 win percentage

Great post, Adding some Head coaches to the gong show!

Wade Phillips, I get it he was there in 98 but he was also there for the start of the draught. Has to be your HC

Mike Mularkey

Dick Jauron

Chan Galley .333 win percentage

I'd have Wade (if he counts) then Marone next followed by Gailey.

All suck is Rex 1st team & Jauron 2nd

great list, but here's what I'd change.

where is Winfield? 1st team.

I'd replace Butler with Chris Villarrial, his time with Buffalo was short, but he was solid.

Flowers all sucks more than Kelsey, Kelsey was fairly solid, Flowers was a bust.

I might replace Walker with Gandy for 2nd team, again, Gandy wasn't great, but he was a inexpensive option that outplayed his contract.

Crowell over Kiko

Ko Simpson should be all sucks too

Edited by frogger

There's been some good discussion and constructive criticism in this thread since the OP.

But I've got to say I'm awed by Rico's original lists. Not because they're perfect, but because Rico can remember all those guys.

I think I could put together a pretty good first team All Drought Stars from memory. But Rico's 2nd Team All-Drought Suck list?!?!? I'd happily forgotten most of those guys.

Nice job, Rico!

Edited by hondo in seattle