Most Underrated Bill of the Draught

Aaron Schobel is a good candidate. But I love Darryl Talley. Sure he was a 2nd round pick, but man, whom else epitomized the Bills in the 80s/90s? And never got the respect? Then I think Kyle Williams.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd and Gilchrist belong on the wall. However they belonged on the wall long before Tasker, Talley, and Hansen. Schobel was a better player than Talley and Hansen. He has 16.5 more sacks than Hansen in two less seasons. Hansen played with Bruce Smith for 8 of his seasons. I believe you are seriously underestimating how good he was.

We'll have to agree to disagree. He was no where as good as Talley. Maybe comparable to Hansen, who was much better all around but not as good a pass rusher. But Hansen was probably the 4th or 5th best player on that team's front 7. Schobel wouldn't even start on the defense Hansen played on.

I watched just about every one of his games. He was a good pass rusher but most NFL teams have at least one pass rusher as good as him. He may have been a standout on those terrible teams but not in the big picture NFL.

IMO.

Edited by vincec

Seeing a few guys saying Moulds, he wasn't part of our playoff drought. Remember he was part of the Flutie led squad that lost to Miami in the wildcard game. I think he still has the NFL playoff record for receiving yards in a game with 240. I'd probably go with Travis Henry, Kyle Williams is a popular pick but I feel like he's not quite that underrated. Most real football folks know how great of a player he's been. So i'll stick with Henry, a guy whose off-field issues made people forget how good of a player he really was, especially in BUF.

Number 3 all-time for children/baby mommas. http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/06/big-poppa-the-athletes-with-the-most-children-by-the-most-women/antonio-cromartie

But he was one hell of a running back.

Aaron Schobel is a good candidate. But I love Darryl Talley. Sure he was a 2nd round pick, but man, whom else epitomized the Bills in the 80s/90s? And never got the respect? Then I think Kyle Williams.

Sorry mate, but Talley is top of my list for most overrated. Followed closely by Ferguson. Neither belong on the wall. Maybe if Fergie hadn't twisted his ankle the early 80's would be a different story. As for Talley - he, Marv Levy, and Jeff Wright lost the best chance the Bills had at a SuperBowl victory.

English teachers in Buffalo are apparently underrated

DROUGHT. "a prolonged absence of something specified."

Not draught. Which isn't even an American English word.

Anyhow - on topic - I'd list Byrd (Butch, in case there was a question), Ballard and Travis Henry. Byrd averaged more INTs than Deion Sanders, almost 6/year.

What I wouldn't give for a DB to get us 6 INTs/year right now!

I'm not a fan of Schobel, so I'm biased. Interestingly in the first 50 years of the Bills only two players had back-to-back double digit sack seasons - Smith and Schobel.

In the last 5 years we've had two more.

oh yeah?

then what about guiness draught, huh? and what about alec guiness who was English?

not so high and mighty now are you

Remember when he called his daughter a fat pig???

Stevie Johnson

When we drafted Woods, people said he was better than Stevie as a rookie. SJ was a great Bill. He had some flavor (which bother cranky people) and love Buffalo. Great call.

Schobel and Evans are also good calls. On non crap teams, they would have been difference makers (not old Lee though).

It's cheating a bit but I'd put Takeo. He was going to be an all time great Bill and was a monster his first year here. But then he got hurt and was never the same. Devastating.

Stevie Johnson

I think he is worth a shout. As I said in the "team of the drought" thread.... his 3 year run on a team where he was absolutely the #1 guy opponents were trying to take away of 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons and 23 touchdowns is one of the best 3 years runs for a receiver in team history. His peak might have been brief and he may have had his share of dumb moments too.... but when Stevie was good he was better than I think people remember.

as an outsider, it's Fred Jackson.

He was a hell of a workhorse back who loved contact and always ran angry. It's a shame the Bills were always trying to find his replacement instead of giving him the full workload and letting him excel. He always reminded me of Marshawn Lynch in attitude and running style on the field.

Only 3x in Buffalo did he get over 200 carries:

09 - 237, 1062 yd, 4.5 ypc

10 - 222, 927 yd, 4.2 ypc

13 - 206, 890 yd, 4.3 ypc

He was also effective in the passing game averaging 40.8 rec per year in Buffalo.

As a Patriots fan, he always scared me