NFL best and worst QB draft classes since 2004.

JM2009

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are-the-nfls-best-and-worst-quarterback-draft-classes-since-2004/?ftag=SPM-05-10abb2i&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=596cb5ff04d3016507b55b1d&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

"2. 2013

The Bills traded up for EJ Manuel and the former Florida State standout started 10 games as a rookie. Over the next three seasons, Manuel combined to start seven more, which should give you a clear indication of how little he progressed in Buffalo. He is now a backup in Oakland. Geno Smith was talked about as a first-round talent but he lasted until early in the second round. The plan was for him to eventually unseat Mark Sanchez, the Jets' 2009 first-round pick who had fallen out of favor in recent years. In a glaring case of "be careful what you ask for," a preseason injury sidelined Sanchez and Smith started all 16 games as a rookie. The Jets went 8-8 but Smith tossed 21 interceptions against just 12 touchdowns, and after going 3-10 in 2014 Smith was benched. Mike Glennon has the most remaining upside of this group but for how long is anyone's guess; signed this offseason to be the Bears' starter, the team promptly traded up in the draft to select Mitchell Trubisky with the No. 2 pick."

At least the 2007 draft class was ranked worse than 2013.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Bills traded back for EJ.

How sad is it the Bills make an appearance not just on the two worst lists but also the best. Nothing like picking the 4th QB in a 3 HOF QB draft!

Edited by KD in CA

2004 was the best and we got the worst QB of the bunch. 2013 was one of the worst and we used a 1st rounder. wow we either have really really bad luck or the QB scouts are completely incompetent

Edited by kdiggz

I thought the Bills traded back for EJ.

How sad is it the Bills make an appearance not just on the two worst lists but also the best. Nothing like picking the 4th QB in a 3 HOF QB draft!

they absolutely did. i think they used the extra pick to take kiko. (could be wrong on that).

Guest NeckBeard

I have often wondered how greater QB talent would have done in Buffalo from 2001 - 2013/4. EJ shouldn't have been picked in the first, but that class was pretty terrible anyways. Still, I've often wondered how having Rodgers or Brees or Big Ben under center would have looked with HCs like Jauron, Greggg, Mularkey, and Marrone running the show.

Edited by NeckBeard

I have often wondered how greater QB talent would have done in Buffalo from 2001 - 2013/4. EJ shouldn't have been picked in the first, but that class was pretty terrible anyways. Still, I've often wondered how having Rodgers or Brees or Big Ben under center would have looked with HCs like Jauron, Greggg, Mularkey, and Marrone running the show.

Marrone may have won a superbowl with one of those 3 QBs and the defense we had under him.

As someone said earlier we traded down for EJ not up. Regardless it was the wrong year to take a QB.

they absolutely did. i think they used the extra pick to take kiko. (could be wrong on that).

It was Tavon Austin and TJ Mcdonald for EJ, Kiko, glass goodwin, and gragg. And we traded kiko for Shady.

Worst part is - I think austin would've been good here. We had Sammy, and needed a playmaker. May have still snagged Kiko in the 2nd, and maybe Glennon in the 3rd? I don't know how much better that would've made us, but we ended up with junk in EJ and goodwin anyway so what was the value in adding picks.

The problem was that we cut Fitz for cap room, and had a backup plan of kevin kolb who never even suited up. We needed a QB so desperately. Terrible roster management by Buddy Nix to skip QB from 10-12. Set the team back for years. Williams over Dalton sticks out to me. Graham over Wilson (but also Foles and Cousins). We never sat down and tried to actually build for the future, it was just buddy patching holes every year.

Marrone may have won a superbowl with one of those 3 QBs and the defense we had under him.

As someone said earlier we traded down for EJ not up. Regardless it was the wrong year to take a QB.

maybe... after he punted! :doh:

Guest NeckBeard

I never made the argument that the Bills traded up (which most sane people know that the Bills didn't). It's fun to think about a championship win with those combinations, but I don't see it. With a better QB at the helm maybe Marrone would've stuck around, and perhaps with an upgrade at OC, and maybe even with changing the GM. That is the best case scenario from that time in my mind.

I never made the argument that the Bills traded up (which most sane people know that the Bills didn't). It's fun to think about a championship win with those combinations, but I don't see it. With a better QB at the helm maybe Marrone would've stuck around, and perhaps with an upgrade at OC, and maybe even with changing the GM. That is the best case scenario from that time in my mind.

With a better QB maybe we don't have to jump the gun and hire marrone.

Guest NeckBeard

It was Tavon Austin and TJ Mcdonald for EJ, Kiko, glass goodwin, and gragg. And we traded kiko for Shady.

Worst part is - I think austin would've been good here. We had Sammy, and needed a playmaker. May have still snagged Kiko in the 2nd, and maybe Glennon in the 3rd? I don't know how much better that would've made us, but we ended up with junk in EJ and goodwin anyway so what was the value in adding picks.

The problem was that we cut Fitz for cap room, and had a backup plan of kevin kolb who never even suited up. We needed a QB so desperately. Terrible roster management by Buddy Nix to skip QB from 10-12. Set the team back for years. Williams over Dalton sticks out to me. Graham over Wilson (but also Foles and Cousins). We never sat down and tried to actually build for the future, it was just buddy patching holes every year.

maybe... after he punted! :doh:

Going back to Nix for a second, he gets guff for not selecting a top QB during his tenure, but yet when you look at the drop off after Cam and Luck (who wasn't an option because the Bills were just good enough that year...), it's tangible, with the sole exception of a guy that the Bills didn't pick but could have: being R Wilson. To put it another way, the fact that Gabbert is still hanging in, and to a lesser extent EJ, tells you a lot about the pool of talent during that window of time.

To me, the poison pill in Nix's regime, and at the QB position, was giving Fitz that contract in the first place. It was player friendly, and if I'm Fitz there's no way I'm going to re-up for way less money. IMO things would have been a lot less turbulent at the position if the team had retained Fitz (with a better contract than what they had agreed to originally) then took their lumps with EJ in limited dosages. Your mileage will probably vary with this line of thought.

With a better QB maybe we don't have to jump the gun and hire marrone.

You mean like the master stroke the team would have enjoyed with Chip Kelly at the helm?

Going back to Nix for a second, he gets guff for not selecting a top QB during his tenure, but yet when you look at the drop off after Cam and Luck (who wasn't an option because the Bills were just good enough that year...), it's tangible, with the sole exception of a guy that the Bills didn't pick but could have: being R Wilson. To put it another way, the fact that Gabbert is still hanging in, and to a lesser extent EJ, tells you a lot about the pool of talent during that window of time.

To me, the poison pill in Nix's regime, and at the QB position, was giving Fitz that contract in the first place. It was player friendly, and if I'm Fitz there's no way I'm going to re-up for way less money. IMO things would have been a lot less turbulent at the position if the team had retained Fitz (with a better contract than what they had agreed to originally) then took their lumps with EJ in limited dosages. Your mileage will probably vary with this line of thought.

You mean like the master stroke the team would have enjoyed with Chip Kelly at the helm?

I think with Wilson there, Nix traded up for TJ Graham. And Nix liked Wilson.

Guest NeckBeard

I think with Wilson there, Nix traded up for TJ Graham. And Nix liked Wilson.

Yes, that is the sole exception I can think of. Like all of the good QBs selected when Buffalo could have had one, I wonder how Wilson would have done here under center. I bet he would be a lot like TT, perhaps slightly better.