Dumb Carucci column...assessing QB position

eball

Last years offense was built around the notion that the defense would be good enough to protect the lead. The offensive playbook wasnt designed to be explosive. It was all about ball control, not throwing for three hundred yards. Given that, Tyrod did what the coaches asked of him and more. The simple fact is, our defense didnt do what it was supposed to do and the offense was ill equiped to respond. That isnt a Tyrod problem, it was coaching. This is why Rex was let go.

This is correct.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason Tyrod is still here is also very simple. His decision to accept the contract reduction after his agent had temperature tested the market was based on three factors:

1. Chance to start in 2017;

2. Money;

3. Chance to play for a competitive team in 2017.

Most of the teams interested in giving him #1 and #2 could not, in his mind, offer #3 (see 49ers, Jets and Browns). The other options that might have offered #3 were probably not guaranteeing #1 (maybe the Cardinals or possibly the Texans where they were about to draft their QB of the future).

If the informal conversations his agent had been having had identified someone who had been willing to offer Tyrod money comensurate with his original deal and satisfying criteria #1 and #3 he would not have accepted the pay cut and then the Bills would have had a very difficult decision. In those circumstances my instinct is he wouldn't be here.

This is exactly where my head is at with the scenario as well. I know we are a battered fan base but maybe just maybe the Bills were Tyrod's best option among the teams interested in him when taking these points into consideration.

I remember the Patriots game well.

Defense played terrific. Tyrod didn't. At the same time, McCoy dropped a great pass from Tyrod in the middle of the 2nd quarter that would've gave them a 10-3 lead, and Graham missed a FG towards the end of the 2nd half. Patriots then drove down the field and took a 10-3 lead. 10 point swing.

The Seahawks game Tyrod played Terrific. Ultimately he didn't come through at the end of the game as the Seahawks molested our receivers on the 4th and goal play and Jordan Mills got destroyed twice on that final series of the game, but yes it's Tyrods fault.

Tyrod missed Goodwin in the Endzone in OT? Dude had a GREAT game but let's get on him for missing ONE pass. Meanwhile a reverse to Reggie Bush of all players stopped ALL momentum the Bills had and Graham missed a chip shot FG. Tyrod sucks.

If your going to nitpick every little missed opportunity from Tyrod, why not do it for the whole team?

:thumbsup: It isn't ever just one player. People have mentioned the EJ comeback against Carolina upthread. I remember FJax making an incredible heads up play and batting down a ball instead of catching it in the backfield. EJ gets the credit for a td pass with 2 seconds left but the win was made possible by that play.

I won't start a new thread for this but I thought it would start some fireworks :bag:

Yahoo ranks all QB situations in the NFL

13. Buffalo Bills (20 points)
Starter: Tyrod Taylor (12th)
Backup: Cardale Jones, TJ Yates, Nathan Peterman (17th)
The group of starters between about 10 and 15 is nearly impossible to rank. Taylor has quietly been very solid for the Bills in his two seasons in Buffalo, but his numbers won’t necessarily speak to that for a few reasons. He played in a run-based system (Buffalo had a 46.4 percent of its yards come on the ground, most in the league by a wide margin), calls the league’s coldest and snowiest stadium home and, most importantly, just hasn’t had the weapons around him to succeed.
You can’t change where you play, but you can change who’s around you, and that’s what the Bills did, bringing in free agent wide receivers Philly Brown and Andre Holmes and drafting Zay Jones. They added Dion Dawkins, who should help patch up the porous right side of the line (Taylor took a league-leading 42 sacks), in the draft. They also have a completely new system with head coach Sean McDermott and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. But none of those additions are nearly as important as a healthy Sammy Watkins. In 2015, when Watkins played in 13 games, Taylor finished fifth in yards per attempt. In 2016, when Watkins played just eight games, Taylor fell to 21st. Behind Taylor, Jones beat out E.J. Manuel for the backup spot, Yates has experience, and Peterman, a rookie, showed skills at Pittsburgh that can fit into any system.
You are indeed reading that right. Yahoo ranks Tyrod as the 12th best QB in the league. 0:)
Edited by section122

Last years offense was built around the notion that the defense would be good enough to protect the lead. The offensive playbook wasnt designed to be explosive. It was all about ball control, not throwing for three hundred yards. Given that, Tyrod did what the coaches asked of him and more. The simple fact is, our defense didnt do what it was supposed to do and the offense was ill equiped to respond. That isnt a Tyrod problem, it was coaching. This is why Rex was let go.

Not quite accurate. Rex's offense was supposed to be big play... it was not a dink and dunk offense it wae chunk plays in the run and pass game. Go check Billick's "Toxic differential".

I think it was a limited offensive passing scheme but not limited in down the field plays. Limited in those intermediate routes. I am not sure Tyrod did do all that was asked "and more." He was very up and down in 2016 even in wins.

I agree that the Defense was a bigger factor in the 7-9 record though.

Not quite accurate. Rex's offense was supposed to be big play... it was not a dink and dunk offense it wae chunk plays in the run and pass game. Go check Billick's "Toxic differential".

I think it was a limited offensive passing scheme but not limited in down the field plays. Limited in those intermediate routes. I am not sure Tyrod did do all that was asked "and more." He was very up and down in 2016 even in wins.

I agree that the Defense was a bigger factor in the 7-9 record though.

I think the offense was limited due to not having its main offensive weapon on the field in Sammy Watkins

We gave up a lot for this guy....and when he is healthy he is drawing consistant double coverage and beating it.

Its tough to be explosive when your primary receiving weapon is Goodwin......so we relied heavily on our ground game and it did produce for the most part.

We need more out of our pass catchers......they need to make plays for their qb who isnt a guy that is gonna put it on his shoulders and win a game (or has not shown the ability to do that)

The Seahawks game Tyrod played Terrific. Ultimately he didn't come through at the end of the game as the Seahawks molested our receivers on the 4th and goal play and Jordan Mills got destroyed twice on that final series of the game, but yes it's Tyrods fault.

It wasn't the fourth down play as much as how the Bills ended up in fourth down. Taylor took the team down the field to about the ten yard line. From there the Bills ran two runs, followed by a third down pass where TT was sacked via a turnstile block, before he even set his feet to throw. That resulted in a 4th & 17 requiring a pass into the end zone and there are never good odds on that, regardless of how "clutch" you are.

Edited by grb

Probably but it does stick out.

So does Stafford suck or the Lions?

I'm not sure, but with all those game-winning drives, the Lions only managed 9-7 in a weak division, and got blown out in their wild card game.

Probably but it does stick out.

So does Stafford suck or the Lions?

LOL who knows. 8 GWD's needed for 9 wins sounds rough. I looked into them, and based on this board's criteria I think Stafford sucks!

Colts - Down 1 - GWD finishes with a FG. Stafford couldn't even put it in the endzone! Then the Lions got a safety to close out the game.

Eagles - Down 2 - GWD finishes with a FG. Stafford couldn't even put it in the endzone! Then the Lions forced an INT and the Lions Kneeled out.

Rams - Tied - GWD finishes with a FG. Stafford couldn't even put it in the endzone! Then the Lions forced an INT and the Lions Kneeled out.

Redskins - Down 4 - GWD with a TD!

Vikings - Down 3 - Settled for FG because Stafford couldn't even put it in the endzone! Made up for it by scoring a TD on first drive in OT.

Jaguars - Down 3 w/ 13:24 left - GWD with TD. Then Jags punt, Lions FG, Jags INT, Lions Kneel.

Vikings - Tied - Lions D forces INT at Minn 33. GWD finishes with a FG. Stafford couldn't even put it in the endzone!

Chicago - Up 3 - Stafford throws Pick 6 w/ 7:07 left. Down 4 - GWD with TD. Then Bears turn over on downs & Lions Kneel.

Please read this with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

The whole GW drive schtick is bull ****. Just an excuse to bash Tyrod.

I believe Aaron Rogers had ONE GW drive last season.

Just curious, do you think Stealer fans would have bashed Big Ben if he had overthrown Santonio Holmes in the EZ vs Cardinals?

The difference between a playoff team and us, is the ability to win close games. It's been a constant the laSt 16 years.

The WHOLE team has to do better especially the QB.

I don't "hate" Hotrod. I like him. But he needs to do better in these situations IMHO.

Yahoo ranks all QB situations in the NFL

13. Buffalo Bills (20 points)
Starter: Tyrod Taylor (12th)
Backup: Cardale Jones, TJ Yates, Nathan Peterman (17th)
The group of starters between about 10 and 15 is nearly impossible to rank. Taylor has quietly been very solid for the Bills in his two seasons in Buffalo, but his numbers won’t necessarily speak to that for a few reasons. He played in a run-based system (Buffalo had a 46.4 percent of its yards come on the ground, most in the league by a wide margin), calls the league’s coldest and snowiest stadium home and, most importantly, just hasn’t had the weapons around him to succeed.
You can’t change where you play, but you can change who’s around you, and that’s what the Bills did, bringing in free agent wide receivers Philly Brown and Andre Holmes and drafting Zay Jones. They added Dion Dawkins, who should help patch up the porous right side of the line (Taylor took a league-leading 42 sacks), in the draft. They also have a completely new system with head coach Sean McDermott and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison. But none of those additions are nearly as important as a healthy Sammy Watkins. In 2015, when Watkins played in 13 games, Taylor finished fifth in yards per attempt. In 2016, when Watkins played just eight games, Taylor fell to 21st. Behind Taylor, Jones beat out E.J. Manuel for the backup spot, Yates has experience, and Peterman, a rookie, showed skills at Pittsburgh that can fit into any system.
You are indeed reading that right. Yahoo ranks Tyrod as the 12th best QB in the league. 0:)

So nobody has anything to say about TT being ranked 12th best QB in the league by Yahoo? Color me surprised!

The group of starters between about 10 and 15 is nearly impossible to rank. Taylor has quietly been very solid for the Bills in his two seasons in Buffalo, but his numbers wont necessarily speak to that for a few reasons. He played in a run-based system (Buffalo had a 46.4 percent of its yards come on the ground

This group

Run based.

Not pass based.

Running wont necessarily win games when trailing late in games.

EJs contract was up whereas CJs now entering his 2nd season.

Will CJ even make the final roster?