Life

RaoulDuke79

I hang out with a wide range of fellas. Both young and old. Some Financially very well off, others who can barely pay the rent. I appreciate the diversity and viewpoints in the conversations that I have. One thing that seems to be fairly consistent is the question of "would you want to know when you are going to die?" One one side you could prepare for things, and on the other, it would be hanging over your head every day.....personally I say ignorance is bliss. What say you?

Why would you need to know when your number was up to prepare?

Live life, make a will, kiss the wife and kids goodbye when you go to work.

Well said. Amen!

Great question though.

Edited by Augie

Why would you need to know when your number was up to prepare?

Live life, make a will, kiss the wife and kids goodbye when you go to work.

To get life insurance and prepare financially mostly. If you have children, specifically if you are a single parent, to figure out how the kids will be taken care of.....basicaly what would you do different if tou were to die in two weeks vs. 50 years. Edited by RaoulDuke79

To get life insurance and prepare financially mostly. If you have children, specifically if you are a single parent, to figure out how the kids will be taken care of.

Again, what's the purpose of waiting? You should figure that stuff out before the first kid is born.

To get life insurance and prepare financially mostly. If you have children, specifically if you are a single parent, to figure out how the kids will be taken care of.

You prepare without knowing what the outcome will be. You don't skip insurance for any reason, because you never know the outcome. That's why they call it insurance. With no kids or other dependents, why bother? Talk to the professionals.

Again, what's the purpose of waiting? You should figure that stuff out before the first kid is born.

You prepare without knowing what the outcome will be. You don't skip insurance for any reason, because you never know the outcome. That's why they call it insurance. With no kids or other dependents, why bother? Talk to the professionals.

Well yeah idealy you do all of the due diligence ahead of time and get life insurance and make provisions etc...but some don't think that far ahead or are not financially enough well off to do so, which goes back to my original question of would you want to know when your time is up so you could make changes.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

That's a tough question. Would you want to know @ an early age if a recessive gene disorder was passed on to you? Say one of your parents have Huntington's Chorea. The onset of the disease is usually between 30-50 years old. Should that have a say on your family planning? I think it should.

That is a debate I have with my wife and a few family members seeing that some family may be afflicted with the recessive gene disorder. Would you risk not knowing? Then have children? Is ignorance really "bliss."

And... What if the insurance company finds out? Who the heck will insure you?

Something like that... I would want to know in order to adjust my life's "sails" and set the responsible course when planning. Or do you just roll the bones?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I hang out with a wide range of fellas. Both young and old. Some Financially very well off, others who can barely pay the rent. I appreciate the diversity and viewpoints in the conversations that I have. One thing that seems to be fairly consistent is the question of "would you want to know when you are going to die?" One one side you could prepare for things, and on the other, it would be hanging over your head every day.....personally I say ignorance is bliss. What say you?

Not something I talk about often, but...

I realized quite some time ago that there's only two different kinds of people in the world: people who's funerals I can attend, and people who will be able to attend mine. Period. End of story. Everybody dies, it's just a question of who gets to do the dyin' versus who gets to watch. As morbid as that may sound, and as glib as I am writing about it...honestly, the realization was rather liberating, really. I know I'm going to die, I know everyone I know is going to die, the only thing I don't know is the order in which it'll happen. And that unknown...isn't really that big a deal.

It's not like I dwell on the idea, though. As something unavoidable and ubiquitous, it's not something I give much thought.

Knowing the date of one's death would certainly be liberating and ominous at the same time. This heady issue was touched on in a ground breaking episode of The Jetsons.

I think cheating on life insurance is a pedestrian view of what to do with the information. I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be arranging a petty crime.

And I sharted my pants bad at the grocery store the other day.

I suppose everyday we die in some way.

I did that once at work....it was a pretty bad one.

I took off my boxers and threw them in the trash. Went commando the rest of the day.

My slacks were that soft material that when it rubbed you know what.....guess what was happening all day? Yeah I had to stay seated in my chair.

Well yeah idealy you do all of the due diligence ahead of time and get life insurance and make provisions etc...but some don't think that far ahead or are not financially enough well off to do so, which goes back to my original question of would you want to know when your time is up so you could make changes.

This mindset is the problem, and the reason so many aren't prepared. You can procrastinate forever waiting to be 'better off', but you don't need to be rich to have a will or to ask your sibling, parent, friend if they are willing to raise your kids if you suddenly depart the scene.

As for money, you save what you can for retirement/college and start small on insurance. If you are relatively young and healthy, term insurance is fairly cheap.

Prepare because you never know. Yesterday my mother's first cousin went for a walk, was hit by a car and died early this morning.

Why the hell would knowing when you're going to die increase the amount of planning you're doing, given that you know you are going to die anyway.

Anyone who is an adult, has dependents and or spouse, and either/or doesn't want to burden them/wants to leave them a life of comfort should have ample planning in place.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Why the hell would knowing when you're going to die increase the amount of planning you're doing, given that you know you are going to die anyway.

Anyone who is an adult, has dependents and or spouse, and either/or doesn't want to burden them/wants to leave them a life of comfort should have ample planning in place.

In all the years I've done what I do the thing that I have learned the most is a vast and I mean VAST number of people live by the "I'll worry about that when it happens" motto. And that is not only those without money. I'be come across lots of very wealthy people with nowhere near enough insurance, no estate plan, piss poor tax planning and nowhere near enough saved. Live for today is in our faces 24/7