Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

19 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It'll be a 2019 1st round pick and a conditional 4th in 2020. 

Yeah, I know by far the most likely scenario is that we get their 2019 1st and 4th.

But I can still hope that it instead somehow ends up being high 2020 1st and 3rd round picks. 

lol 

Juat glad we are at least getting a 1st no matter what now.

I really thought Kane may decide to chase the money and lifestyle (especially with a team like Vegas (with tons of cap space) potentially interested in him, and his hometown Canucks too). 

Although for $7x7 I guess he didn't really have to go anywhere to chase the money! lol 

I am not sure another team would have offered him that kind of term.

Edited by BillsFan4

Good for you guys. Good for us. Now for the Sharks, time to chase Taveras. If Joe resigns at a reduced rate that's fine. 

Sabres will be an interesting team to watch next season. I'm not expecting drastic improvement but even winning 6 or 7 more games would be a significant turn. 

Good luck next year Sabre fans. Wish only the best!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Rasmus Asplund

Rasmus Ristolainen

Rasmus Dahlin

So, how many Ramuses does it take to change a light bulb?

There are two more who could potentially be available for the 32nd pick.

On 5/21/2018 at 8:43 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

NHL Draft 2018: How Rasmus Dahlin can fit Sabres, fast-track league's slowest rebuild

Buffalo, which owns the first overall pick, will have the first crack at Rasmus Dahlin, a dynamic puck mover with highlight-reel moves. The Swedish wunderkind is the overwhelming favorite to become just the 14th defenseman to be taken first in the NHL Draft, but you have to go all the back to 1973 and Hall of Famer Denis Potvin to find a defense prospect who had such a tremendous following before ever skating in an NHL game.

Dahlin’s blend of skill and smarts should make his transition to the NHL’s up-tempo style as seamless as it was for Housley, a finesse defenseman himself who made his Sabres debut immediately after he went sixth overall in the 1982 draft. Housley was only a few months removed from his 19th birthday when he was named runner-up for the Calder Trophy. One year later, he received a significant amount of Norris Trophy votes, finishing for the NHL’s best defenseman.

5-23: Steve Kournianos on the NHL Draft with Schopp and Bulldog (20:27)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

5-25: Sweden World Junior head coach Tomas Monten with Howard and Jeremy on Rasmus Dahlin (13:07)

We're getting #DialedInOnDahlin next on WGR as Sweden World Junior head coach Tomas Monten joins Howard and Jeremy next on WGR! #Sabres

Monten - Rasmus Dahlin blew us away in his first experience at the World Juniors in Montreal. We knew he was going to be a difference maker for us. #Sabres

Monten - This past year, he was our go-to guy. He played the most minutes, most situations for us. He handles it, battles through and does his thing. #Sabres

Monten - I don't think I will be having him for Vancouver next year. #Sabres

Monten - His leadership and experience changed the most from one World Juniors to the next. From Day 1 in Montreal, he didn't know what to expect. From Day 1 in Buffalo, he told others to take my lead. #Sabres

Monten - Dahlin is very coachable. He's still a young kid and pretty quiet, but working with him 1-on-1, he wants to learn. He has a bit of a temper, but it's more of a competitive temper. #Sabres

Monten - Rasmus Asplund was more of an offensive centerman for us at the World Juniors. He was a leader for us on the bench and in the locker room for us. He's been playing pretty good at the professional level in Sweden. He's very smart. #Sabres

Monten - Asplund has some good offensive skill, but he is not going to risk anything for his team. If he can be more willing to take some chances, he can produce more offense. #Sabres

Monten - Alex Nylander didn't put up the points for us this year like he did in Montreal, but he was better with consistency and he matured a lot. I know this season was rough, but I hope he gets a good summer and takes a spot. He did learn a lot this season. #Sabres

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Kim confirms that the Sabres will draft Dahlin. Not that there was really any doubt, but it's still cool to hear her basically say it officially. 

Damn, I was hoping we were going to trade up!

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/23/2018 at 9:23 PM, ricojes said:

The Mark Pysyk trade may not be a bust after all!  Let's hope not, time will tell...

It's really sad how many Tim Murray trades we have to say this about... 

It won't be a bust if Asplund develops.

It won't be a total bust if Fasching turns into something good (as we watch McNabb play top minutes in the Cup final. lol)

It won't be a total bust if Buffalo can hit on San Jose's 1st round pick (for Kane).

It won't be a total bust if Robin Lehner can play better, or we are able to get a 3rd rounder for him (and then hit on that pick). 

Sadly, I believe that is pretty much every major Tim Murray trade but one (O'Reilly)

I just depressed myself typing that.    lol 

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

right.It's really sad how many Tim Murray trades we have to say this about... 

It won't be a total bust if Fasching turns into something good (as we watch McNabb play top minutes in the Cup final. lol)

It won't be a total bust if Buffalo can hit on San Jose's 1st round pick (for Kane).

It won't be a total bust if Robin Lehner can play better, or we are able to get a 3rd rounder for him (and then hit on that pick). 

Sadly, I believe that is pretty much every major Tim Murray trade but one (O'Reilly)

I just depressed myself typing that.    lol 

What is demonstrated with the Bills and Sabres is that the first priority for a new owner is not to worry about making a splash on ice or on the field but to get the organizational and front office staff right. That takes a lot of thought and consultation with people who are knowledgeable about the league. Western NY is very fortunate to have the Pegulas as owners for their pro teams. However, they made some very damaging decisions with their selections of people to run their pro teams. 

If you examine the front office staff of both their teams under McBeane and Botterill there is a blueprint that adheres to a well thought out philosophy on how to build a roster. For the most part the philosophy revolves around drafting talent and developing it. And it's not just about adding talent so much as adding the right talent to the mix. It's not a splashy approach or a quick fixe approach to fixing damaged franchises but it is the right approach.  Overall, I'm optimistic for the future but irritated that the respective franchises were unnecessarily set back with bad staffing decisions. 

• Like (+1) 2

NHL’s Top 10 UFAs of 2018: The best left-wingers available - Sportsnet.ca

The 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs have winded down to the final series, meaning the NHL’s 31 general managers have one more month to size up the field and pick their free-agency targets. That in mind, Sportsnet.ca is breaking down the top 10 UFAs at each position likely to be available when free agency opens July 1.

Next up: the left-wingers.

This year’s crop of available left-wingers looks to be among the deepest of the free-agent groups at any position. Clubs hoping to shell out for a significant offensive upgrade should have the option to do so, while a few other veterans who bring different skills to the table will make things interesting. Add in a certain Russian superstar looking to make a North American return, and the left side of this year’s UFA class should provide plenty in the way of off-season theatrics.

Let’s take a look at the top left-wing options set to hit the market this summer:

NHL's Top 10 UFAs of 2018: The best centres available - Sportsnet.ca

First up: the centres.

In a league that continues to trend towards skill and speed, with more clubs opting to roll out as many scoring lines as they can, strong depth down the middle reigns supreme. Those who have it continue to do damage throughout the year. Those who lack it watch that absence become painfully obvious as the season progresses. Unfortunately, acquiring a top-tier pivot is no easy task. That could change for one team this year, however, as the 2018 class might offer a chance at a genuine superstar.

Let’s take a look at the top UFA centres who could hit the market this summer:

Dahlin, Svechnikov among those in spotlight at 2018 NHL Scouting Combine

Rasmus Dahlin and Andrei Svechnikov, the projected top two picks in the 2018 NHL Draft, are among 104 prospects scheduled to participate in the 2018 NHL Scouting Combine at KeyBank Center and HarborCenter in Buffalo beginning Monday.

The combine gives the 31 NHL teams physical and medical assessments of the top prospects ahead of the 2018 draft at American Airlines Center in Dallas on June 22-23.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Scouting Combine in Buffalo May 27 - June 2

Dahlin, expected No. 1 pick in 2018 NHL Draft, seems destined for stardom

BUFFALO -- Rasmus Dahlin hasn't played a minute in the NHL, but experts already are comparing the 18-year-old from Sweden to some of the League's biggest names, past and present.

They liken his game to those of Hockey Hall of Famer Nicklas Lidstrom and current NHL defenseman Erik Karlsson, and tout him as a generational player, capable of taking after Sidney Crosby, Connor McDavidand Auston Matthews.

But amid the comparisons, the biggest compliment of all might be this: Scouts, coaches and players who have been around the left-shot defenseman, expected to be selected No. 1 by the Buffalo Sabres next month in the 2018 NHL Draft, say he should make a name for himself in the NHL in no time.

Sabres' Coach Calls Dahlin 'Incredible': Report

Rasmus Dahlin is considered to be the No. 1 prospect in the 2018 NHL Draft, and Buffalo Sabres coach Phil Housley said he can see why."I've been watching on YouTube and, boy, it's incredible," Housley told The Buffalo News on Friday. "He's going to be a complete package in today's NHL."

Top 31 Draft Prospects: Dahlin (1:07)

Taking a look at the #1 draft prospect Rasmus Dahlin

Complete list of 104 players invited to the NHL Scouting Combine - Sportsnet.ca

The NHL Scouting Combine is taking place in Buffalo, N.Y. again this week. Teams and players have landed and have started to meet already.

On Saturday, the players will run through most of the drills that the combine is publicly known for, but in the week leading up to the event, the players interview with teams and go through medical examinations.

Sportsnet.ca will be live streaming the Scouting Combine on Saturday, June 2 for three hours, beginning at 9:00 a.m. ET and wrapping up at noon. You’ll be able to watch the groupings that include top prospect Rasmus Dahlin and the top projected forward off the board, Andrei Svechnikov. The official groupings and their start times will be released closer to the drills on Saturday.

In total, the league invited 104 players to the 2018 NHL Scouting Combine. All are listed below, with the team they played for this season and the position they play.

NHL Scouting Combine, Day Two: Tkachuk aiming to impress

The 2018 NHL Scouting Combine is taking place this week at KeyBank Center and HarborCenter in Buffalo. The combine will allow NHL teams an opportunity to conduct interviews and provide physical and medical assessments of 104 prospects eligible for the 2018 NHL Draft. NHL.com will bring you all the sights and sounds.

On May 25, 2018 at 5:25 PM, BillsFan4 said:

It's really sad how many Tim Murray trades we have to say this about... 

That one player's last name describes every Tim Murray move.  All you have to do is add an "s" as the second letter and an "er" at the end.

May 30, 2018 [Waterloo, ON] ISS Hockey announces the release of its final player rankings for the upcoming NHL Draft to be held on June 22-23, 2018 in Dallas, TX. The rankings are featured in the newly released 2018 NHL Draft Guide. 

e9hksy.jpg