Best steak you ever made - the Reverse Sear

Bakin

I've been using this method the past year or so.

It makes an absolute perfect steak. Better than any steak I've ever made.

I've only used it on rib eyes but I imagine it would still cook perfectly with other, more mediocre cuts.

1.5 inch thick ribeye.

Season liberally with salt and pepper.

Put in oven at 250F for 35 min.

Heat BBQ or cast iron as high as it will go (600-700).

Sear steak for 60-90 seconds on each side.

Top with herb butter.

Rest for 5 minutes minimum.

Just perfection. Medium rare the whole way through.

Sounds weird. Must be a restaurant trick.

Edited by Bakin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only used it on rib eyes but I imagine it would still cook perfectly with other, more mediocre cuts.

1.5 inch thick ribeye.

Top with herb butter.

Ya know...there is a search button on this site...wonder what it does?

1.5 inch thick ribeye.

Top with herb butter.

My solution works fine in half the time

Heat BBQ Grill to 450

then plop on steaks, cook 7 minutes, flip, cook 7 more minutes and you have a perfect rare steal with sear marks

I'll be eating my juicy steak while you are half way through the oven

Heat BBQ Grill to 450

then plop on steaks, cook 7 minutes, flip, cook 7 more minutes and you have a perfect rare steal with sear marks

What about zones of "doneness"???

Red hot cast iron pan. Cover the steak with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Sear steak nicely on both sides. Turn heat down to about medium and add whole butter (about half a cup) and fresh rosemary. Baste steak with butter in pan for about 10 minutes. No grill...best steak ever.

Red hot cast iron pan. Cover the steak with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Sear steak nicely on both sides. Turn heat down to about medium and add whole butter (about half a cup) and fresh rosemary. Baste steak with butter in pan for about 10 minutes. No grill...best steak ever.

Yep, "grill marks" are just a few lines where it got a good sear. Why not sear it ALL using cast iron so you get 100% surface contact? (And I still go sous vide when I can.)

Heat BBQ Grill to 450

Using the timing method only works if the steak is the same thickness all the time.

I was going to mention that but he did mention 450 so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Those grill thermometers are usually accurate to the nearest hundred. Who cares how hot the air near the lid is? I want to know temp at the grate level.

Those grill thermometers are usually accurate to the nearest hundred. Who cares how hot the air near the lid is? I want to know temp at the grate level.

Personally I don't give a **** about grill temps. It's all done by touch and practice, practice, practice. That's why I'm so knowledgeable of wines. I've done tons or research.

Personally I don't give a **** about grill temps. It's all done by touch and practice, practice, practice. That's why I'm so knowledgeable of wines. I've done tons or research.

Agreed. I hold my hand out about 6 inches over the grill. If I can hold it there for any amount of time without burning myself then the grill is not hot enough.

I've been using the reverse sear for years.

My "numbers" are a little different, and I always use a meat thermoneter for good cuts greater than 3/4" thick.

On my Primo grill, using a digiQ to maintain the temp at exactly 225, indirect until internal meat temp is 120.

Wrap the meat in aluminum until​ and open up all the vents and get a flame going on the lump only, (no briquettes for me-ever). Takes only 5 minutes.

Then put the meat back on, right over the really hot coals for about a minute and a half per side.

Then use the same foil and wrap for about 10 mins.

I use the same technique on top sirloin roast, but I let it go to 125 initially.

Creates the perfect beef on weck substitute.