Bills get more cap space today - 6-2-17

Im not ready to say we will not be a competative team......but the great thing about it is if they ARE competative they then have the resources the following year to add final pieces.

The patriots are probably going to destroy us.....but I see some wins on that schedule in my opinion

It does look like Bills are setting up for a some significant dialing in next season.

This year I do expect them to be competitive each game. May not show as well in the W/L record. Sean is going to get the horses all pulling the same cart in the same direction is My Hope and thinking.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New England doesn't overpay. That may be their first commandment.

Making Gillislee the 26th highest paid RB by average salary, just behind Adrian Peterson at 24th and Todd Gurley at 25th when Gillislee had the highest YPA in the league last year ... pretty close to the opposite of overpaying.

It's arguable with Gilmore but looking at how the Pats have succeeded so consistently recently by bringing in some high-priced guys at CB ... Talib, Revis, etc., this unfortunately is likely to be yet another smart move by the Evil Empire.

You're talking about wins this year, correct? I see some wins too, but probably less than most on these boards do.

My guess is 5 to 6 wins with an upside of maybe eight. I probably mean something different by "competitive," too. Don't care about just making the playoffs, never really have since the Super Bowl years. Making the playoffs as a fodder team has never seemed like any real achievement to me.

I would settle for making the playoffs as a wildcard this year.......that would be a step in the right direction after not doing for what....11 years?

IF you can get in anything can happen....we cant anticipate some things like the health of teams, rookies having great years........solid coaching by this staff

Bump.

A recent cap thread got locked so ....

yeah, i pretty much stopped reading here.

persistent and staunchly held belief that we have been in cap hell for infinity years? really?? you do know that before Terry Pegula, our owner was Ralph Wilson (rest his blessed soul), right? Terry has owned the team for three years, three, years. please tell who holds this, 'persistent and staunchly' belief that the bills have been in cap hell for 'infinity years'.

cap hell? I thought it was QB Purgatory!

Adjusted Salary Cap $166,989,897
Active Contracts: $164,604,525
Dead Cap: $7,895,276
2016 Rollover: $2,837,222
Total (All): $172,998,034
Total (Top 51): $154,619,801
Est. Cap Space (All): $-6,008,137
Est. Cap Space (Top 51): $12,370,096

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Bump.

A recent cap thread got locked so ....

cap hell? I thought it was QB Purgatory!

Adjusted Salary Cap $166,989,897

Active Contracts: $164,604,525

Dead Cap: $7,895,276

2016 Rollover: $2,837,222

Total (All): $172,998,034

Total (Top 51): $154,619,801

Est. Cap Space (All): $-6,008,137

Est. Cap Space (Top 51): $12,370,096

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

I would probably shoot for Barnidge or Decker and roll the rest over. If you can get them both for a $5M hit without leaving too much on next year's books I'd do that. It doesn't seem like an option.

$5M combined? Seems like that would be tough to make happen.

i dunno... i think i would stand pat with what we have. i would like to see what Holmes can do. Decker is the same type of receiver we just drafted in Jones.

Edited by Foxx

....and if I remember correctly, he wanted "out" as bad as Peters and Lynch.....burning bridges can come back and bite you in the twin cheeks.............

Yeah, he wanted out as bad as Peters did .... that is that both guys would have been perfectly happy to stay here if they'd gotten an offer here equal or better to what they got elsewhere. After they got better offers elsewhere they did indeed want out.

Lynch on the other hand actually seems to have wanted to go to the west coast to be close to Oakland and away from where he'd had his problems. Lynch and McGahee seem to be the only guys in the last ten or fifteen years that actually did want out.

But every guy who leaves for big money gets the habitual sour grapes response that he didn't want to be here and he wasn't very good anyway.

I would settle for making the playoffs as a wildcard this year.......that would be a step in the right direction after not doing for what....11 years?

IF you can get in anything can happen....we cant anticipate some things like the health of teams, rookies having great years........solid coaching by this staff

Fair enough that you would settle for that. Everyone's got a different opinion on that.

It wouldn't mean anything to me, personally. Or rather it wouldn't mean anything more to me than, say, going over .500 a time or two during the streak meant.

But nah, that's really not true about anything can happen once you get in. There are plenty of fodder teams that make the playoffs without any more than a purely theoretical chance at a title. There's never really been a fodder team that won one.

(Every time I say that people say the same thing, so just to head off an argument that has never made much sense ...) People say that the Giants were fodder the year they beat the Pats but they just weren't. Dr. Z predicted their title going into the playoffs. There were three fodder teams that year - about the normal number - and the Giants weren't one of them, they were a team whose QB's light had just come on and a team whose very tough defense had finally gotten healthy right at the end of the year. The fodder teams that year were the 9-7 Jeff Garcia-led Bucs, the 9-7 Jason Campbell-led Redskins and the 10-6 Vince Young-led Titans that scored four more points than they allowed.

Edited by Thurman#1

Unless a real stud is available than can improve the team I'd hold onto it and roll it over to next season.

I see no need in overspending.

Agreed on overspending.

My guess is that they'll bring in several more guys who aren't much over the minimum, maybe one guy around $2 mill or a bit more. More guys for depth in the long term or to fill major holes with journeyman types. They built the Panthers through the draft over several years.

Fair enough that you would settle for that. Everyone's got a different opinion on that.

I would settle for it for 1 year. I have supported this team since 2001 and never seen us make the playoffs. But I don't think the team should be planning on the basis of getting in as a fodder team..... and they have tried that too often in my opinion.... neglecting the long term for the short term and it hasn't delivered.

I would settle for it for 1 year. I have supported this team since 2001 and never seen us make the playoffs. But I don't think the team should be planning on the basis of getting in as a fodder team..... and they have tried that too often in my opinion.... neglecting the long term for the short term and it hasn't delivered.

Ah, you only got on board in 2001? Well, that makes total sense to me.

I've been a fan long enough to have cheered for them to lose the last game of the year so they'd get the first pick and be able to draft O.J. Simpson.

I saw the four SBs. Making the playoffs as a fodder team would do nothing to me. But if I were in your shoes, I'd probably feel the way you do.

But I'm right with you that they have so often valued the short term with or even over the long term. Which is why I absolutely loved seeing them pick up that 2018 first round pick this draft. Long term thinking. I love it.

Ah, you only got on board in 2001? Well, that makes total sense to me.

I've been a fan long enough to have cheered for them to lose the last game of the year so they'd get the first pick and be able to draft O.J. Simpson.

I saw the four SBs. Making the playoffs as a fodder team would do nothing to me. But if I were in your shoes, I'd probably feel the way you do.

But I'm right with you that they have so often valued the short term with or even over the long term. Which is why I absolutely loved seeing them pick up that 2018 first round pick this draft. Long term thinking. I love it.

I meant 2002 as well... 2001 was a typo.... but the point stands. It is not quite 17 years for me.... it's 15. Still at this stage us making the playoffs would bring me to tears.

I meant 2002 as well... 2001 was a typo.... but the point stands. It is not quite 17 years for me.... it's 15. Still at this stage us making the playoffs would bring me to tears.

I honestly don't even care if we make the playoffs ... unless we are a real contender. I surely won't be squirting any tears for making the playoffs. A superbowl win yes but playoffs are something I expect not something to cry about.

When they make the playoffs I will simply say took ya !@#$ing long enough losers