Rock and Roll is alive and well: Rival Sons

So the best kept secret in the world of music is a Led Zeppelin "cover" band? :D

When you listen to them you can hear the influence of Zeppelin, Creedence, the Stones, the Beatles, the Doors, Joplin, and dozens of others; but their music is 100% original.

The individual musicians are fantastic, and the lead singer has incredible range and voice control.

If these guys had been around during the late 60's early 70's they'd be rock gods. They fell out of a freaking time machine.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

When you listen to them you can hear the influence of Zeppelin, Creedence, the Stones, the Beatles, the Doors, Joplin, and dozens of others; but their music is 100% original.

The individual musicians are fantastic, and the lead singer has incredible range and voice control.

If these guys had been around during the late 60's early 70's they'd be rock gods. They fell out of a freaking time machine.

Most of which influence was only evident on your third link. The first two were heavily Zeppelin-influenced - the first could have been straight off an early LZ album, and the drumming on the second was overwhelmingly Bonham-esque.

Most of which influence was only evident on your third link. The first two were heavily Zeppelin-influenced - the first could have been straight off an early LZ album, and the drumming on the second was overwhelmingly Bonham-esque.

Keep listening.

And then think about your characterization as relates to new music, look in to the band, and wonder why you've never heard then before.

Keep listening.

And then think about your characterization as relates to new music, look in to the band, and wonder why you've never heard then before.

I listened to all three. I stand by my statement. And I don't need to wonder why I've never heard them before: they're a throwback to a style of music that is no longer popular or lucrative, as you yourself pointed out.

The 2nd song sounded like "When the levee breaks."

"Bohnam-esque drumming." The song itself sounded nothing like it, except for the drums being all but a direct lift from "When The Levee Breaks."

Which is fine, since Led Zeppelin probably stole it from someone else anyway...

I listened to all three. I stand by my statement. And I don't need to wonder why I've never heard them before: they're a throwback to a style of music that is no longer popular or lucrative, as you yourself pointed out.

Actually this style of music is very lucrative and popular. A Led Zeppelin reunion would be the most lucrative and popular tour of the year. It's just not popular when new bands come along and do it. Rock music simply isn't promoted anymore. It's all country and rap these days. The media determine the current tastes of America. They jam whatever they want to push down our throats until we like. I have no doubt that a rock band could still be huge. The media simply chooses not to promote the genre. Trends come and go. Mass media determine those trends, and they have determined that rock is dead. That doesn't always mean there is no market for it if it were packaged correctly. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Actually this style of music is very lucrative and popular. A Led Zeppelin reunion would be the most lucrative and popular tour of the year. It's just not popular when new bands come along and do it. Rock music simply isn't promoted anymore. It's all country and rap these days. The media determine the current tastes of America. They jam whatever they want to push down our throats until we like. I have no doubt that a rock band could still be huge. The media simply chooses not to promote the genre. Trends come and go. Mass media determine those trends, and they have determined that rock is dead. That doesn't always mean there is no market for it if it were packaged correctly.

Of course a rock band could be huge, but it is not just the media that determines current taste. there are many factors.

music has taken a step back in terms of distribution. we are back to selling "the single" instead of full albums. not saying whether that is good or bad (i love albums though) but that's what sells now.

you don't need to leave your home to hear music. just dial up youtube or what have you and go to town. live shows seem are not in fashion. of course there are live shows, but they are not the main method of distribution like it was back in the time of the troubadours. Rock embraced the album and live show. And i think it could be argued that a live rock show where you (supposedly) see musicians playing instruments is a little more interesting than lipsynched pop show or pressing play on your macbook and rapping on top, on average (there are some amazing hip-hop live shows). and so, for a kid growing up with, for example, mostly hip hop, the desire to see a live show is not as strong.

like most things, i expect a big swing in the opposite direction at some point. kids who have only seen their favourite music on youtube from the comfort of their ipad are going to figure out what they are missing, be it rock, albums, live shows. well, i hope that's what happens because i've been playing in bands all my life and have seen the decline of live music and album listening first hand. either that, or my band just sucks. :D

So the best kept secret in the world of music is a Led Zeppelin "cover" band? :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/led-zeppelins-10-boldest-rip-offs-20160622

as opposed to Zepp being the biggest music thieves in history. I love Zepp, but they are probably the best cover band ever. At least Rival Sons composes their own music, and doesn't steal from Blind Willie Johnson, etc, and try and pass it off as their own

not bad, a lot better than other stuff these days... but they still don't hold a candle to Zep.

None of them come as close as ripping like page/bonham/plant/jones, obviously.

The first riff is a direct lift from out on the tiles, Or whatever it's called off III. Way Less complicated, not even as close as good.

These guys are good.

But their influence is more along the lines of Wolfmother and White Stripes - who were both influenced by Zeppelin.

Just because someone hits the drums really hard and throws some flange effect on them, doesn't mean they can be compared to John Bonham.

The guitars are nothing like Jimmy Page's sound.

Vocals are strong, but again - more Wolfmother than Zep.

I think they're good, but they have zero originality and average talent - and they Zep comparisons are way off.

These guys are good.

But their influence is more along the lines of Wolfmother and White Stripes - who were both influenced by Zeppelin.

Just because someone hits the drums really hard and throws some flange effect on them, doesn't mean they can be compared to John Bonham.

The guitars are nothing like Jimmy Page's sound.

Vocals are strong, but again - more Wolfmother than Zep.

I think they're good, but they have zero originality and average talent - and they Zep comparisons are way off.

So their sound is more like White Stripes and Wolfmother who were heavily influenced by Zepplin but the comparisons of this band to Zeppelin are way off?

BTW I call this Neanderthal Rock. Not in a bad way it's just basic and easy to like but lacks the complexity I personally like in my music.

Edited by Chef Jim

So their sound is more like White Stripes and Wolfmother who were heavily influenced by Zepplin but the comparisons of this band to Zeppelin are way off?

BTW I call this Neanderthal Rock. Not in a bad way it's just basic and easy to like but lacks the complexity I personally like in my music.

Yes, exactly. It's kind of like genetics. Each subsequent generation is less like the original.

Oh, so Train is another influence. Nice.

I agree. I've never heard of them before, and honestly, it's refreshing to hear some good, old-fashioned hard rock from a new band. I don't care about influences. All musicians have their influences - some you can easily hear, some you can't.

Anyway, I didn't really care for the 3rd song on your OP, but that's just a taste thing because I still think it's a good song. The first two songs knocked it out of the park. Thanks for sharing - I'm going to give them more of a listen.

:beer:

I agree. I've never heard of them before, and honestly, it's refreshing to hear some good, old-fashioned hard rock from a new band. I don't care about influences. All musicians have their influences - some you can easily hear, some you can't.

Anyway, I didn't really care for the 3rd song on your OP, but that's just a taste thing because I still think it's a good song. The first two songs knocked it out of the park. Thanks for sharing - I'm going to give them more of a listen.

:beer:

Glad you enjoyed them. Check out their Head Down album.