[closed]Bills: off-season winners again...

Dopey

3 weeks ago the Bills were considered to be dysfunctional pretty much across the board. Now they're earning praise for the off-season. Given the fact that it's a top to bottom new staff, I think that the praise and recognition they're getting is saying something. I know that the only results that matter is the W-L record. It feels like they're heading in the right direction and for me it gives something​to be optimistic about.

3 weeks ago the Bills were considered to be dysfunctional pretty much across the board. Now they're earning praise for the off-season. Given the fact that it's a top to bottom new staff, I think that the praise and recognition they're getting is saying something. I know that the only results that matter is the W-L record. It feels like they're heading in the right direction and for me it gives something​to be optimistic about.

I admit the tread title made me a little sick, but I agree with you here.

This is their best offseason in ages. The only questionable move was not putting a 2nd-round tender on Mike G, but not doing so may have been Whaley's final decision as GM. It's about time we looked outside the organization, for guys who haven't learned from the guys who wrote the book on playoff droughts. I think we got 3-4 future contributors in this draft, with an extra 1st next year to boot. We might not make the playoffs this season, but I think the moves they've made are setting us up nicely for the future.

I'm usually in sync with your posts 86 but I am not as convinced as you that this was a great off season

Sure I love the HC and GM changes, and yes I liked most of our draft - Those are both solid reasons to be giddy about the future of our team

However I didn't like most of our FA signings pre-draft and what we lost in comp picks for 2018 - I am equally very concerned about our back 7 on the D and having lost Gilly - I remain cautious of scheme changes on both sides of the ball and our offensive blocking scheme

I hope I am wrong, fingers crossed that alot of HC Sean's off season moves result in 9-10 wins this season, and yet another D scheme change works, that we finally stop the run, and our secondary performs better than it currently looks on paper, and that the change in blocking scheme does not reduce the biggest strength of our team, like say Rex's changes did with our 2014 D, but, and its a big big but...

If Vegas and all the pundits are actually correct, and we only win 5-6 games in 2017, who the hell is going to look back at this off season and continue to say with a straight face, or argue that it was a B or B+ off season, and or that our team is moving in the right direction, if we not only have, yet another un-successful season, but end up losing more games in 2017 than we did in 2016?

jc

I'm usually in sync with your posts 86 but I am not as convinced as you that this was a great off season

Sure I love the HC and GM changes, and yes I liked most of our draft - Those are both solid reasons to be giddy about the future of our team

However I didn't like most of our FA signings pre-draft and what we lost in comp picks for 2018 - I am equally very concerned about our back 7 on the D and having lost Gilly - I remain cautious of scheme changes on both sides of the ball and our offensive blocking scheme

I hope I am wrong, fingers crossed that alot of HC Sean's off season moves result in 9-10 wins this season, and yet another D scheme change works, that we finally stop the run, and our secondary performs better than it currently looks on paper, and that the change in blocking scheme does not reduce the biggest strength of our team, like say Rex's changes did with our 2014 D, but, and its a big big but...

If Vegas and all the pundits are actually correct, and we only win 5-6 games in 2017, who the hell is going to look back at this off season and continue to say with a straight face, or argue that it was a B or B+ off season, and or that our team is moving in the right direction, if we not only have, yet another un-successful season, but end up losing more games in 2017 than we did in 2016?

jc

We might have to wait another year to see the results. I'm not usually one for preaching patience, but IMO it applies this time. Unfortunately, Whaley left us with a lot of roster spots to fill & not much cap space to fill them. I think we made the best of a bad situation, and we'll benefit from no longer having one of the worst GM/HC combos in the league.

jc

What change in blocking scheme exactly? Dennison, we would assume, would want to run stretch/zone blocking as that as been the preference of all offenses he has really been associated with. The Bills of the previous two years used a lot of zone blocking in their run game as well. Don't see this being an issue.

Defense will be better by subtraction (of Rex/Rob and their antiquated defense), Gilly or no Gilly.

This is their best offseason in ages. The only questionable move was not putting a 2nd-round tender on Mike G, but not doing so may have been Whaley's final decision as GM. It's about time we looked outside the organization, for guys who haven't learned from the guys who wrote the book on playoff droughts. I think we got 3-4 future contributors in this draft, with an extra 1st next year to boot. We might not make the playoffs this season, but I think the moves they've made are setting us up nicely for the future.

+1. Pegs is learning on the job, but he is learning...