Bills hire Marvin Allen, KC Dir College Scouting

Impossible. If you read here, the Bills suck, how we hire personnel suck and no one worth a damn wants to work for us... *sarcasm off*

you'd also read how the Chiefs are really garbage, despite many of us asking how lucky can you be for the Reid Era before admitting it's a good team.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. But their teams might well not have let them go in the middle of draft season. Hard to say.

Indianapolis got their GM and staff in place in January. I can't say every good scout would have been allowed to leave before the draft but you want the best guys you can get working together. The Bills method was to keep on Whaley and scouts and not listen to them. Can't say having your coach pick guys off a board from scouts he is firing sounds like the best approach.

Unless Sean is the actual GM and will just pick players anyway. In that case Bills are going to be in trouble next draft as well.

Edited by jeffismagic

Indianapolis got their GM and staff in place in January. I can't say every good scout would have been allowed to leave before the draft but you want the best guys you can get working together. The Bills method was to keep on Whaley and scouts and not listen to them. Can't say having your coach pick guys off a board from scouts he is firing sounds like the best approach.

Unless Sean is the actual GM and will just pick players anyway. In that case Bills are going to be in trouble next draft as well.

indy hired the GM in Jan but fired their whole scouting staff and director of college scouting after the draft. Edited by YoloinOhio

every team (that I can recall, other than the Browns who fired some 6 weeks before the draft last year) operates that way when re-organizing a FO. I *think* the debate in that thread wasn't over whether that's what everyone does, but whether it is actually the best method. It's a good discussion.

^^^^Yolo, this is what I was referring to.....jeff might have been alone in that debate, but I seem to recall a number of others who were of similar thinking / philosophy. But, at this point it doesn't really seem worth the effort to debate or argue...I like the way it's going.

At least they had their real GM in place. Buffalo can't say the same unless Sean is the GM and Beane is his admin guy.

At least they had their real GM in place. Buffalo can't say the same unless Sean is the GM and Beane is his admin guy.

I see ur point...but I'm not sure if it makes that big of a difference...supposedly Carolina had similar prospects ranked where the Bills had them ranked, as I'm sure other teams did as well.

I see ur point...but I'm not sure if it makes that big of a difference...supposedly Carolina had similar prospects ranked where the Bills had them ranked, as I'm sure other teams did as well.

If Beane won't make that much of a difference then why celebrate his hiring? I am not negative on Beane himself. I just have no idea who is doing what and that has been the same Buffalo Bills deal we have had since Levy/Jauron/Modrak.

WE ARE DOING IT!!!

WE ARE WINNING THE OFF-SEASON!!!

This has been a great stretch of hires. kudos.

That's why every year, this time is such a glorious occasion for Bills fans...when no games are being played, we are simply invincible!

If Beane won't make that much of a difference then why celebrate his hiring? I am not negative on Beane himself. I just have no idea who is doing what and that has been the same Buffalo Bills deal we have had since Levy/Jauron/Modrak.

From what I've heard and read, Beane appears to be more of an overseer or football Czar, that leads the entire personnel dept...he has knowledge in scouting and draft boards, but, to me, it seems the expertise in those areas lies with the guys below him...but i think each guy brings a little something to the table...i could be wrong but that is how i am interpreting it.

Edited by JaCrispy

indy hired the GM in Jan but fired their whole scouting staff and director of college scouting after the draft.

Whoops! Color me shocked that Mr. talking-out-his-arse was clueless.

Whoops! Color me shocked that Mr. talking-out-his-arse was clueless.

Nothing has changed. I have said the same things since McDermott has been hired. If you liked the Marrone hiring and the Rex hiring, the McDermott "process" was along the same lines.

If true this is a huge get. Helped build Patriots into the superpower they are, helped build the Falcons team that just made the superbowl, and helped to build a consistant winner in KC. All the teams he worked for has been able to find great players late in the draft.

When the Colts let their scouts go.

The principle I was defending was getting your best people in place before the draft. The Indy GM was hired in January and ran the draft. Our GM came in after the draft. The GM is more important and you want your best personnel guys working together. If you like the new hires you will have to admit they played no role in the last draft.