No sure fire Franchise QB's in 18' draft class

I think that is true too. If the Bills are getting a guy early in 2018 he is playing immediately. There will be elevated expectations compared to this year.

He was the 3rd pick in the draft, from a pro-style offense that had BC ranked in the top 2 in the country at one point. He was a pretty safe bet.

I think so too. Osweiler was so unbelievably bad. That team is good everywhere and he held them back. Watson is a winner too. They have a real shot to play in the AFC Championship and then who knows.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-ryan?id=310

It's one profile but he was compared to Chadwick and Matt Schaub.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like this gets said a lot and scouts seem to be better at evaluating other positions. But they are so wrong about qbs all the time. Matt Leinart was an elite #1 overall prospect his junior year. Jevan Snead was a hot prospect. Mike Mayock had Blaine Gabbert over Cam Newton. Jake Locker and Matt Barkley were elite prospects. Alex Smith was picked 20 spots before Rodgers, who was a nothing prospect heading into his last year in college.

I don't pretend to know who will be good NFL qbs. But it's laughable to hear "experts" pretend like they do. Personally, I put a lot of stock in game film and it's why I really hope Watson doesn't become a franchise qb.

And FTR, I like Rosen and Rudolph from this class.

Trust me, I love when they draft qbs. I'm 100% fine with the EJ pick because it was a chance. Same with Jones and Peterman.

That said, you can't just be satisfied taking a chance every once in awhile. My nightmare scenario is we don't have enough ammunition to move up in the draft and settle for the 3 or 4 best qb.

So much truth here.

...here's the caveat Kirby.....OBD was hell bent on taking a QB in the 1st for 2013 (who the ultimate "picker" was now at this late date doesn't mean squat)...ironically Genome Smith was their #1 choice.....the gang flew down to work him out and interview him....consensus on the plane ride home was, "uh no thanks".....hence EJ was "second fiddle".......hindsight is a beautiful thing, but "both fiddles were missing several strings"......

Looking back, it's amazing Gailey, an offensive coach, never drafted a qb high to learn under Fitz. It was his biggest mistake here imo.

I realize drafting a qb high every year is crazy but honestly, I would do so every couple of years. If your biggest problem is we have too many qbs, I'd gladly take that.

Well said and that's exactly where I'm at.

The way I look at it is this year's draft trade could either be one of the best moves in Bills history or one of the worst. If Mahomes or Watson turn into studs and we can't get one next year, it's a terrible move. But if the opposite happens, it could be an all time great move.

I think I like Watson and Mahomes better than a bunch of people here. I also thought it was the perfect time to draft a qb to let them develop without pressure for a year.

The evaluation of the 2018 group of qbs will be much different at draft time next year.

P.S. I forgot to included potential first round qb turned Bills practice squad TE Logan Thomas on the list! Sorry Logan!

You could be right. I liked Watson, but his lack of velocity bothered me. Clearly, none of the QBs this year fit the Andrew Luck coming out model. It would be ideal to have drafted one and let them develop, just does't seem like the way of the NFL these days. We went for need, picks, TT in Rico's system for a year, and next year class will be better and let's be ready if need be.

Don't bank on next year. Some one will emerge for 19 next year and all the doomsayers will be saying tank 18 for 19.

Brett Rypien... I don't think he'll be out in 18, but '19 for sure... One word. -LEGIT.

Looking back, it's amazing Gailey, an offensive coach, never drafted a qb high to learn under Fitz. It was his biggest mistake here imo.

I realize drafting a qb high every year is crazy but honestly, I would do so every couple of years. If your biggest problem is we have too many qbs, I'd gladly take that.

....and the signing of Fitz was to solely be a backup who would never be allowed to challenge Spent Trent....he was to be the well traveled journeyman from Cincy and StL.....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-ryan?id=310

It's one profile but he was compared to Chadwick and Matt Schaub.

He still went 3 (and could have went 1) so it's not like he came out of nowhere. He was the 1st QB taken in the draft. He was definitely highly thought of for that to be the case. Sometimes there is risk with guys early, look at Trubisky, but that doesn't mean teams weren't high on them. The point that I was trying to make to AFL guy were there were a bunch of highly thought of draft prospects that ended up being great.

Those are the guys that I am concerned with. I don't subscribe to the theory that if you throw enough darts you find Dak, Brady or Wilson. Give me the guy that may have cost some draft capital but I know what I'm getting. I would rather buy the blue-chip stock than hope the penny stock goes crazy. Rosen is a good example. I know he's a bit of an a-hole but the pedigree is there. He's been a star QB for his whole life.

Yeah I've thought about that before as well. Chan was actually a pretty decent offensive mind, he did pretty well with very little. The Spiller pick was just about as stupid a pick as they could have made at the time. Not sure who was available QB wise without looking, but that one sticks out as Buddy Nix's folly.

Edited by horned dogs

Yeah I've thought about that before as well. Chan was actually a pretty decent offensive mind, he did pretty well with very little. The Spiller pick was just about as stupid a pick as they could have made at the time. Not sure who was available QB wise without looking, but that one sticks out as Buddy Nix's folly.

Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, Kafka, Skelton, Crompton, Rusty Smith, Lefevour, Webb, Pike, Levi Brown, Canfield and Zac Robinson account for every drafted QB, in order, after Spiller. Next time someone says "just take a guy he might be Brady" point to 2010. That group is AWFUL!!! Edited by Kirby Jackson

Brett Rypien... I don't think he'll be out in 18, but '19 for sure... One word. -LEGIT.

I saw a bunch of BOise games and he seemed like the definition of a JAG. He's still young though but I never saw anything close to a franchise NFL qb.

Tebow, Clausen, McCoy, Kafka, Skelton, Crompton, Rusty Smith, Lefevour, Webb, Pike, Levi Brown, Canfield and Zac Robinson account for every drafted QB, in order, after Spiller. Next time someone says "just take a guy he might be Brady" point to 2010. That group is AWFUL!!!

Strongly disagree. Skelton was a stud. Plus, we could have traded for Mario instead of signing him to a huge contract.

I saw a bunch of BOise games and he seemed like the definition of a JAG. He's still young though but I never saw anything close to a franchise NFL qb.

Strongly disagree. Skelton was a stud. Plus, we could have traded for Mario instead of signing him to a huge contract.

:)

my only reason is just that typically guys don't declare after their sophomore year...but he certainly could surprise...

If I'm a consensus #1 pick, it's one more year (at the end of his career) of probably making $30 mil by then? I love college bars and USC cheerleaders as much as the next guy, but....

It is folly to wait for a "sure fire" franchise QB. Last 5 years

2012 Andrew Luck. You needed the 1st overall pick

2013 No sure fire guys or even very good QB prospects

2014 A few good to very good prospects. Derek Carr and Jimmy G were well worth taking.

2015 No sure fire franchise guys. 2 guys were close in Winston and Mariotta and went 1st and 2nd overall.

2016 No sure fire franchise guys. 1 very good prospect in Carson Wentz and Dak Prescott was a good prospect late in the draft.

2017 No sure franchise guy. From my QB board 1 very good prospect in Pat Mahomes, 1 good prospect in Mitch Trubisky and 1 guy worth grabbing later in Josh Dobbs. Some may add Deshaun Watson as a guy they would take as well.

So if our strategy is to wait for a sure fire franchise guy this franchise will be heading towards 3 decades without even a VERY GOOD QB that can win the team games. What a shame.

If I'm a consensus #1 pick, it's one more year (at the end of his career) of probably making $30 mil by then? I love college bars and USC cheerleaders as much as the next guy, but....

Certainly possible...however, one thing you are definitely right about are those cheerleaders...their outfits don't reveal much, and yet somehow they are so damn sexy!

There is NO SUCH THING as a sure fire QB. But they will wait and pick the one they believe in. Let's hope these new guys are as smart as they seem to be. The good news is, I really think that's the plan, not trying to get by with Fitz or committed to TT (who I feel is a fine interim choice).

Certainly possible...however, one thing you are definitely right about are those cheerleaders...their outfits don't reveal much, and yet somehow they are so damn sexy!

ALL TIME Classics. And I'm not new to this..... :)