Worried About the Scout Vacancies- Big Hole!

....cleaning house prior to Beane took care of the dirty work for him......at least he's not the "new sheriff/bad guy" riding into town.....and he was free to re-hire any of the 17 let go which I believe he has done with 3 so far...so what's the beef?.....

The point was that by exposing those guys he may have lost the ones that he wanted. We will never know if that's the case. As an example, Tom Roth (one of their most respected scouts) went to the Titans. Maybe they didn't want him and maybe they did?

I buy the "not being a bad guy" as a reason to a certain extent but would have taken the conservative route. I would have interviewed everyone, kept the good and released the bad. They are doing a great job building the staff so I'm definitely not concerned with the results. That was never the issue though.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta admit, I was never as panicked as the OP but I did think the firing of the entire personnel department was rash.

But I've been impressed how quickly Beane put his team together. And more impressed at the credentials these new guys bring.

As Kirby points out, in the process we may have lost a couple good ones like Tom Roth. But - on paper - this new scouting department seems to have the qualifications to get the job done.

I'll probably never get this, but I'd love an insider's take on how Beane runs the scouting staff differently than Whaley. Does he value different things in a player? Does he organize the scout tasks differently? Etc.

Just like coordinators have different schemes, GMs have different ways of attacking their area of responsibility.

Edited by hondo in seattle