This is not a rebuild, folks...

eball

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not all that clear.

Here's what else happens all the time.

Coaches who have a guy who they're 95% sure isn't the answer, and costs too much. So they tell him that if he wants to be paid at the standards his current contract stipulates, it'll have to be elsewhere. The guy bows to pressure and accepts a lot less money and a lot less of a guarantee. Now the team isn't paying too much for him if he turns out to be a one-year bridge guy which is what they think he probably is.

So they take a good long look at the draft but either decide the answer isn't there or discover that maybe the one guy they might possibly have been interested in isn't still there when their draft spot arrives. They've also looked at next year's crop and think it's better, so they trade back thinking that it's smarter to wait till next year and use the current guy as a bridge guy.

And then they grab the most pro-ready guy in the draft, a guy who is available in the 5th round because though he can make all the NFL throws, he hasn't got a gun by any means, figuring the more stuff they throw at the wall the more chance one will stick.

That sort of thing happens all the time too.

My guess is that they think there's very little chance Tyrod becomes the guy, but thought that an aggressive search wasn't going to be productive this year, unless they thought Trubisky was the only guy with a chance but not a high enough chance to go up that high. And that rather than investing in him with any real hope that he ever becomes a franchise guy but that they invest only bridge money in him expecting that's what he'll be.

You've argued it's a prove-it deal rather than a bridge deal. That sounds like a real positive way to frame things, and you'd hope Tyrod has self-confidence enough to think that way but it is basically a nice way to spin things.

Agreed we'll have to wait and see. We can at least see that the same way.

It happens all the time? I don't know what you're talking about.

Can you cite some examples of guys who rewrote their existing contracts to take less money. I can't think of any, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. There are free agents whose teams tell them to take what's offered or move on to some team that will pay him more, but that's different.

Who does that?

A much more plausible explanation is that you sign the best guy available to you and keep looking. That's what you do at EVERY position, and AB is no different. The Bills are in no hurry to turn the team over to Peterman. You play the best player you have until you find a better one, doing that always with the knowledge that the best player you have may improve or drop off. What you don't do is decide today that the guy who is your starter next year has to go. That's not how you think about any personnel decision, unless you have a criminal or total non-performer who HAS to go.

There is a new football regime in place that is headed by the new HC, an organizational structure that bothers me a lot. At this point it is futile to lament how the organization is structured because it is already in place. It seems to me that all the upper echelon front office hires and the HC are in sync. Until more time goes by we will not know whether the theory will match the application.

Did you ever listen to Pat Kirwin speak of his time as GM John? He refers to Pete Carroll as "his boss." It isn't unprecedented to have a head coach calling the shots. What seems strange (at least imo) is a relatively inexperienced man like McDermott doing so. And I have no idea if it will work out. I am on record as not being too thrilled by this draft. Not at all, but it's hard for me to picture a worse situation that Rex/Whaley. Those 2 were almost as disgraceful as Levy/Jauron. Edited by Bill from NYC

Did you ever listen to Pat Kirwin speak of his time as GM John? He refers to Pete Carroll as "his boss." It isn't unprecedented to have a head coach calling the shots. What seems strange (at least imo) is a relatively inexperienced man like McDermott doing so. And I have no idea if it will work out. I am on record as not being too thrilled by this draft. Not at all, but it's hard for me to picture a worse situation that Rex/Whaley. Those 2 were almost as disgraceful as Levy/Jauron.

I don't think Kirwan was a GM.... I think he was the Director of Player Personnel. I am like you though in that I have no problem calling the shots. This still feels to me like McDermott's show and Beane is here to run the best personnel department he can and get McDermott the advice and information he can... but this team is going to be built McDermott's way. Luckily his GM knows what that way is and what the vision should be at certain positions. I prefer having McDermott as the man in charge rather than the flat structure that preceded it where left hand and right weren't pulling in the same direction.

Did you ever listen to Pat Kirwin speak of his time as GM John? He refers to Pete Carroll as "his boss." It isn't unprecedented to have a head coach calling the shots. What seems strange (at least imo) is a relatively inexperienced man like McDermott doing so. And I have no idea if it will work out. I am on record as not being too thrilled by this draft. Not at all, but it's hard for me to picture a worse situation that Rex/Whaley. Those 2 were almost as disgraceful as Levy/Jauron.

My criticism of the organizational structure has more to do with the immediate empowering of an inexperienced HC. That's not to say that it won't work. Where it has worked with the HC being the center of power is with HCs who are experienced such as Carroll and Belichick. Sometimes, there is too much attention paid to the formal flowchart . If the parties involved in the operation are in sync then the formal positions are less important than the informal and collaborative approach to running the operation.

With respect to the draft my criticism was not over the individual selections as it was the bypassing of a couple of good qb prospects. As many of us having been saying for a long time until the qb position is better staffed this franchise will continue to muddle along being at best average.

They would win.

Trump would change the name from the Bills to the Sputniks. :D

I prefer having McDermott as the man in charge rather than the flat structure that preceded it where left hand and right weren't pulling in the same direction.

My instincts tell me it can't be worse than Whaley/Rex, but so far the only thing that points to me being correct is the extra first round pick in 2018. While this is huge, I wasn't crazy about trading up yet again, let alone the first round corner.

My instincts tell me it can't be worse than Whaley/Rex, but so far the only thing that points to me being correct is the extra first round pick in 2018. While this is huge, I wasn't crazy about trading up yet again, let alone the first round corner.

This looks like the best draft in years.

Also, contrary to what JohnC and some others have said, the Bills have not been ignoring the QB position. As I recall, they have drafted a QB in each of the last two drafts. History shows that using a first round pick (or two) is far from the only way to find a long-term answer at QB.

Actually we have drafted 3 out of the last 4 AND brought in countless FAs for a shot inluding Matt Flynn, Dennis Dixon, Tarvaris Jackson, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, Thaddeus Lewis, and Kyle Orton. There are more.

I also disagree we've been ignoring the QB situation. We have not been successful, but we have not ignored it.

Actually we have drafted 3 out of the last 4 AND brought in countless FAs for a shot inluding Matt Flynn, Dennis Dixon, Tarvaris Jackson, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, Thaddeus Lewis, and Kyle Orton. There are more.

I also disagree we've been ignoring the QB situation. We have not been successful, but we have not ignored it.

With respect to the highlighted segment look up the definition of flotsam. When you pursue garbage you get garbage.

Oh we got a big introduction to Terry Pegula this past offseason.

Wasn't flattering.

This offseason, Pegula has fired Rex, replaced him with an extremely bright young coach in McDermott, fired Whaley, replaced him with a major upgrade and each hire has been highly acclaimed.

I'd say that's pretty damn flattering.

This offseason, Pegula has fired Rex, replaced him with an extremely bright young coach in McDermott, fired Whaley, replaced him with a major upgrade and each hire has been highly acclaimed.

Firing Rex was hardly a bold move........it was unanimous that he had to go and that he was an awful hire who made Pegula look like a complete idiot by agreeing to hire the largest staff in the league and THEN take on Rob Ryan after it was already clear that Rex himself was lax in his duties. Who hires a slacking employees brother to help him slack more?

And what has "bright young" McDermott accomplished in a decade of coordinating defenses?

Like I said.......once fired, once lost a Super Bowl. Not sure how the distinguishes him from Greggo other than Greggo hadn't been fired.

If you feel the need to fluff the situation that's fine........but it is as I say..........owner acted like a douche.......then hired and gave a great deal of authority to a nobody coach who hired some cronies to help him do battle in division with the greatest coach of all-time......slow clap.......very impressive Terry P. :rolleyes:

Firing Rex was hardly a bold move........it was unanimous that he had to go and that he was an awful hire who made Pegula look like a complete idiot by agreeing to hire the largest staff in the league and THEN take on Rob Ryan after it was already clear that Rex himself was lax in his duties. Who hires a slacking employees brother to help him slack more?

And what has "bright young" McDermott accomplished in a decade of coordinating defenses?

Like I said.......once fired, once lost a Super Bowl. Not sure how the distinguishes him from Greggo other than Greggo hadn't been fired.

If you feel the need to fluff the situation that's fine........but it is as I say..........owner acted like a douche.......then hired and gave a great deal of authority to a nobody coach who hired some cronies to help him do battle in division with the greatest coach of all-time......slow clap.......very impressive Terry P. :rolleyes:

.....sure you didn't leave anything out?.......

There is a new football regime in place that is headed by the new HC, an organizational structure that bothers me a lot. At this point it is futile to lament how the organization is structured because it is already in place. It seems to me that all the upper echelon front office hires and the HC are in sync. Until more time goes by we will not know whether the theory will match the application.

I have said on many postings that there is no quick fix to reworking the roster and being a contending team. Because of the lackluster qb situation it's going to take at least another few years to be anything other than a fringe wild-card contending team. (My opinion.)

What I want to see is an organization that functions in a unified manner and makes sound decisions. By the nature of the business not every transaction is going to work out. However, over time doing things the right way will have a cumulative effect and get this train back on track.

Where I disagree with your perspective, although understandable, is that you are focusing too much on the dysfunctional past and applying it to the present and future. I'm taking a different approach. I'm looking at what has recently happened and seeing it in a more positive light. With a recognition that there is still a lot more to do I'm comfortable in saying that I am cautiously optimistic.

Great post!

I have more faith in McDermott than Badol... I have said many times I think had the Panthers not made the Superbowl last year he'd have been a Head Coach last year. I like his resume and I like his approach.

But you can't look at the Pegulas process to get to this point and tell me it was classic management. The McDermott hire may end up being the moment the tide turned for them in Buffalo but if it doesn't work out there are legitimate questions (again) about their process which in 3 or 4 or 5 years people will be entitled to ask.

No one is arguing that being a self-made billionaire is automatically going to make you a good owner. In fact, I have argued otherwise in that your success in a prior endeavor doesn't necessarily translate into success in your new endeavor as an owner. It should not be surprising that there is a learning curve. That's why I'm giving the Pegulas some slack.

There is no question that the Pegulas have made some major missteps. The Rex hire was outright weird. And there is no question that there has been a major mismatch between the front office and the hired coaching staffs because he made the hires without the required input of the GM.

But making mistakes in the past doesn't mean that everything you currently are doing is wrong. I believe the inarticulate owner has learned from his mistakes. I see a greater alignment between the coaching staff and the front office. I also see him putting more attention on buttressing the front office with his recent hires.

Dan Snyder has reflexively drawn a lot of criticism. Due to his past involvement in the operation that criticism was very warranted. But now he is not as involved in the details of the football operation as he used to be. And clearly the team has been more successful on the field because of it.

Yeah, the Skins appear to have been more successful on the field. And Snyder and his brain trust just fired the guy who appears to have been responsible for that success. Nah, Snyder appears to be as off-target as ever.

But I agree with everything else you said here. Having made mistakes in the past doesn't mean what you're doing now is wrong.

Disagree.

Those guys he fired, Rex was a Pegula hire and Whaley was three months ago the guy who'd be in control.

And you can argue those guys they hired are upgrades, but that's pure guesswork right now.

It's not flattering. Highly acclaimed doesn't mean squat. Winning, that's what means something. Every regime start, coach or GM, has inspired mostly hope among fans. That's because they're fans. This is yet another beginning in the Pegula era, the third in many ways, right?

They don't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, IMHO. It's pure "show me the money" for me. I'll wait. But I'm not confident. They haven't showed an ability to choose the right guys up till now. They should've hired a czar way back when they took over the team. I understand why they maybe don't want one now, but they should've hired one back at the beginning.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yeah, the Skins appear to have been more successful on the field. And Snyder and his brain trust just fired the guy who appears to have been responsible for that success. Nah, Snyder appears to be as off-target as ever.

But I agree with everything else you said here. Having made mistakes in the past doesn't mean what you're doing now is wrong.

Disagree.

Those guys he fired, Rex was a Pegula hire and Whaley was three months ago the guy who'd be in control.

And you can argue those guys they hired are upgrades, but that's pure guesswork right now.

It's not flattering. Highly acclaimed doesn't mean squat. Winning, that's what means something. Every regime start, coach or GM, has inspired mostly hope among fans. That's because they're fans. This is yet another beginning in the Pegula era, the third in many ways, right?

They don't get the benefit of the doubt anymore, IMHO. It's pure "show me the money" for me. I'll wait. But I'm not confident. They haven't showed an ability to choose the right guys up till now. They should've hired a czar way back when they took over the team. I understand why they maybe don't want one now, but they should've hired one back at the beginning.

These hires are getting praised around the NFL. I'm sure Pegula is paying them well. Looks better than any FO this past century.

These hires are getting praised around the NFL. I'm sure Pegula is paying them well. Looks better than any FO this past century.

Getting praised around the NFL means little or nothing. It really doesn't.

Everybody who gets this kind of opportunity is good at their current level. Very good. If they weren't, they wouldn't even be on the lists. Everybody's really good at their current level. So you get lots of compliments and cheers on nearly every hire.

But plenty have major problems on the next level.

And what does pay have to do with it? Nothing.

It looks better ... if that's the way you want to look at it. If you remember, when Whaley was brought in there were huge plaudits thrown towards the Bills for getting one of the rising young football minds in the league.

An established guy who's had experience building winners would've been ideal.... Someone like Tom Coughlin is what I was hoping for...

Me too. That's the only way to get more surety.

I'm not against these guys at all. But they get no benefit of the doubt. Nobody knows how they'll do.

I have more faith in McDermott than Badol... I have said many times I think had the Panthers not made the Superbowl last year he'd have been a Head Coach last year. I like his resume and I like his approach.

But you can't look at the Pegulas process to get to this point and tell me it was classic management. The McDermott hire may end up being the moment the tide turned for them in Buffalo but if it doesn't work out there are legitimate questions (again) about their process which in 3 or 4 or 5 years people will be entitled to ask.

I do share some of the concerns that Badman has. No question that they are valid. What has me queasy is not the hiring of McDermott who has been mentioned for other job openings. What bothers me more was the immediate transferring of full authority to him. As soon as he was hired he was essentially acting as the GM. No one can doubt that he was managing the draft. There is little doubt that he was very influential in the hiring of the front office staff. (I need to add that individually and more importantly collectively I like the hires.)

Does the wrestling coach have too much of the Greg Williams tough guy approach and an egotistical belief where the force of his muscular personality is going to overcome a lack of talent? I have a little concern of that irritating affliction. But what mitigates those fears is that I see the HC being very thoughtful about how he wants to build a roster and an organization. There is a lot of thought put into the concept of his team compared to acting on a shallower level of making individual and unrelated transactions. One of the main reasons for Whaley's failure or middling performance has to do with his "fill the hole" mentality as opposed to having a coherent philosophy in managing a football operation.

yikes. relax dude. Vince Lombardi would have trouble with the GOATs in N.E. Bills will compete and win a bunch of games this year.