What if Peterman is better than Mahomes??

what if Mahomes takes the Chiefs to a Super Bowl victory then what will you nay Sayers say

It depends. Is it Tom Brady style? Or Trent Dilfer style?

I don't hate the guy by any means. But for our sake I'd like him to start every game (which will not happen) and suck as a rookie. Purely because I want that first rounder to look more attractive.

Edited by Augie

....what if? Then we won big time! The odds? Not so sure, but I suppose it's possible.

...Mahomes is going to sit and groom behind Alex whereas McD said something to to the effect that TT has to earn the starting job.....theoretically, if he doesn't and Peterman does, we win the pre-season......AGAIN....stay tuned..........

I don't get this.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard no matter who your QB is. A QB of Tyrod's caliber can win a Super Bowl, it's been done. The Bills haven't had a QB of that caliber since Doug Flutie. Of course I'd prefer a better QB that makes our chances better. But I also don't want to move on from the best chance we had.

You can give the Chiefs credit but they're doing the exact same strategy that I'm asking for. They gave Alex Smith 4 seasons! And they didn't just cut him either, they drafted his hopeful replacement while keeping him on the roster. So it's not right to say the Chiefs are way ahead of the Bills or whatever. They tried building a good defense and team around Alex Smith and it didn't work out, so now after 4 (!) seasons they draft a project that no one expects to start this season. How is that any different from what the Bills are doing right now? If we draft a QB in the 1st round next year we'll actually be ahead of their schedule.

Teams don't want to lose their best chance of winning, they want to keep that option while still trying to improve.

I respectfully disagree. We drafted a defensive back instead of a possible franchise quarterback in round 1.

I think that the real question is whether or not doing so will result in the Bills winning football games. If White is good or even very good, it won't matter if we continue to lose.

I guess that is better than disrespectfully agreeing. 😃 The problem is, if the team did not believe there was a franchise QB available in the first round, let alone in the entire draft, would you have felt better if they took one at 10 and spent the next 2-3 seasons trying to make the pick work? I personally feel better knowing we have 4 QB's on the roster to evaluate this year and the ability to target a QB next draft with our 2 picks if no one stands out.

Winning a Super Bowl is hard no matter who your QB is. A QB of Tyrod's caliber can win a Super Bowl, it's been done. The Bills haven't had a QB of that caliber since Doug Flutie. Of course I'd prefer a better QB that makes our chances better. But I also don't want to move on from the best chance we had.

You can give the Chiefs credit but they're doing the exact same strategy that I'm asking for. They gave Alex Smith 4 seasons! And they didn't just cut him either, they drafted his hopeful replacement while keeping him on the roster. So it's not right to say the Chiefs are way ahead of the Bills or whatever. They tried building a good defense and team around Alex Smith and it didn't work out, so now after 4 (!) seasons they draft a project that no one expects to start this season. How is that any different from what the Bills are doing right now? If we draft a QB in the 1st round next year we'll actually be ahead of their schedule.

Teams don't want to lose their best chance of winning, they want to keep that option while still trying to improve.

Sure, if you have the 2001 Ravens or the 85 Bears. But if you have teams that great why not also get a QB better than Tyrod Taylor? I don't get why you are so obsessed with other team's backups. And if Mcdermott and Beane think they are about to create the 85 Bears in 2 years then they will be packing their stuff. The NFL has changed and teams need to adapt. Trying to win without a very good QB is going to a fight with both arms tied behind your back.

I guess that is better than disrespectfully agreeing. The problem is, if the team did not believe there was a franchise QB available in the first round, let alone in the entire draft, would you have felt better if they took one at 10 and spent the next 2-3 seasons trying to make the pick work? I personally feel better knowing we have 4 QB's on the roster to evaluate this year and the ability to target a QB next draft with our 2 picks if no one stands out.

I agree. Respectfully! I like their approach, and I pray it works out, though the best laid plans can, you know.....

No way to make that determination. And are you saying that the Bills shouldn't take a quarterback next year because they don't have someone to develop him?

No, I'm not saying we shouldn't take a QB next year. And I honestly don't know if we have someone to develop a QB yet or not. Do you?

We haven't seen these coaches in camp or on the sidelines yet. I definitely hope that McDermott, Dennison and his staff can develop a QB, but I have no way of knowing at this point in time. Seeing what they do with Tyrod, Cardale and Peterman this year should hopefully start to give us at least some idea.

I was just saying that KC and Buffalo were in completely different positions for this past draft. KC was in a position that they could take a shot on a developmental/project QB in the 1st round, and that even if Mahomes is successful in KC that doesn't necessarily mean that he would have had that same level of success here.

Personally, I think taking Mahomes was a reach at #10. But again, I feel KC was in a much better position to where they could take that shot on a high risk type of QB (and he's also going to a great spot where he can sit and develop, then eventually step in with a strong team to surround him). Buffalo wasn't in that same spot. They only had 6 picks and a ton of holes + a rookie HC who can't necessarily afford to blow his very first 1st round pick.

As far as next year, if Buffalo identifies a QB that they feel could be our franchise guy, I say take a shot with one of our two 1st round picks. We are in a better shot to take that chance next year, with two 1sts.

Sure, if you have the 2001 Ravens or the 85 Bears. But if you have teams that great why not also get a QB better than Tyrod Taylor? I don't get why you are so obsessed with other team's backups. And if Mcdermott and Beane think they are about to create the 85 Bears in 2 years then they will be packing their stuff. The NFL has changed and teams need to adapt. Trying to win without a very good QB is going to a fight with both arms tied behind your back.

The great infallible Andy Reid stuck with Alex Smith for 4 seasons before looking elsewhere in the draft. The Bills drafted more QBs in that time frame than he did. It's because the coaches have a better opinion of the QBs than you do and would rather try to win with what they have instead of going through unnecessary growing pains if they can avoid it. It's pretty obvious to me that this is Tyrod's last chance to show the Bills what he is - we didn't collect an additional 1st round pick for nothing. Like I said we're ahead of the Chiefs schedule by a year. It's actually such a similar situation to theirs I'm surprised I hadn't thought of it before.

The great infallible Andy Reid stuck with Alex Smith for 4 seasons before looking elsewhere in the draft. The Bills drafted more QBs in that time frame than he did. It's because the coaches have a better opinion of the QBs than you do and would rather try to win with what they have instead of going through unnecessary growing pains if they can avoid it. It's pretty obvious to me that this is Tyrod's last chance to show the Bills what he is - we didn't collect an additional 1st round pick for nothing. Like I said we're ahead of the Chiefs schedule by a year. It's actually such a similar situation to theirs I'm surprised I hadn't thought of it before.

....fact....when Alex was available, OBD passed because they termed him a "lateral move from Fitzpatrick".......OBD QB prowess is enviable..............

Do you know what the Chiefs record was? 41 wins and 20 losses when Alex Smith started. Tyrod has yet to win more than 7 games in one season. Wake me up when he does that.

Of course you don't. Most Bills fans argued with me that there was even such a thing. Elite QB play is not highly valued by the Bills team or many of its fans.

Hahaha. Always love these JiM truisms.

Andy Reid has won exactly as many Super Bowls as head coach as JiM. I can't wait for the Chiefs to go 7-9 this year and get their pick.

Hahaha. Always love these JiM truisms.

Andy Reid has won exactly as many Super Bowls as head coach as JiM. I can't wait for the Chiefs to go 7-9 this year and get their pick.

And in this dream did Nathan "TJ Yates 2.0" Peterman also turn into Tom Brady?

Do you know what the Chiefs record was? 41 wins and 20 losses when Alex Smith started. Tyrod has yet to win more than 7 games in one season. Wake me up when he does that.

This is exactly my point. The Chiefs win with Alex Smith because they have a better overall roster and coaching. Do you honestly think switching out Alex Smith and Tyrod makes a huge difference to that record?

In Smith's 2nd year in Kansas City, the Chiefs went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. You're telling me you wouldn't have been calling for a 1st round QB the next year and to get rid of Alex Smith? Well Andy Reid didn't. Like I said and you are continuing to ignore this point, we are ahead of their schedule.

And in this dream did Nathan "TJ Yates 2.0" Peterman also turn into Tom Brady?

Nope.

We take the two good picks and get a real QB as opposed to Mahomes or Alex Smith.

Well, given the lack of attention in past years to our glaring QB needs and the fact that whoever the Bills have picked up since Kelly have been hideous, to say the least, i'm going out on a limb here by saying that Peterman is a big time bust.