Beane not a good fit

We know which way the defense goes. However it looks like Beane and McDermotts offensive philosophy couldn't be more different. Beane is an offense guy, played Quarterback in college and scouted QB and offensive skill positions his entire career until being assistant GM.

You look at Carolinas offense and ours as it sits, quite different. If you look at the players Carolina has on offense. They like them BIG (Benjamin, Funchess, Olsen). They also like to let Cam sit back and sling it, we don't know if Taylor is capable of that.

Dennison likes a lot of PA, boots, screens. With short yardage throws, probably occasionally taking a deep shot. I think we should stay away from Beane, If we want to go the current way on Offense.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

GMs don't run a scheme. The coaches do.

They pick the players. Beane likes players that don't fit our current offensive scheme.

What in the world are you talking about, man? Two days ago, you didn't know who this guy was :D

Actually I did.

And you know exactly what he likes because of what his boss picks?

If that's what his boss likes, He is doing heavy scouting on them and knows what to look for. You now want him to pick players from a entirely different pool? Get someone that has picked players for the scheme we run. Common sense.

Edited by BuffaloBud420

Beane was building personnel for a different offensive scheme in Carolina than we have here. I'm confused as to why this means we shouldn't hire him. It's the OC's scheme, not his. What am I missing ...

So you want him to pick players for a scheme he never had to before?

McDermott and Whaley didn't have the same vision for the team. Now it doesn't matter if McDermott and the next GM don't have the same vision for the team? Wow. I wonder of some if you guys even watch football.

Edited by BuffaloBud420

Strawman... literally this is the most asinine thing I have ever heard.

Even if we wanted to follow this absurd logic, aren't Panthers fans saying we stole their draft? Meaning we would line up ideally with what players Beane would take. Even tho Beane isn't the actual GM there.

Edited by BillsFan17

Beane should be strongly considered for the GM job.

If he is brought in, it's because McDermott knows him and feels comfortable with him going forward. The fact he once played QB should be beneficial as he knows or should know what offensive talent looks like.

Being an NFL GM is akin to being the top scout of college players, scouting players on other teams practice squads and scouting free agents.

Beane would make sense for the job.

This is a non isue. A GM doesn't get into schemes. If the two get along and Beane has a plan to build a sustainable successful team, that's all you need.

yes. Beane would need to realize the GM role is not a GM "everyone reports to me" role, for this to work. A title without the power. Works in Atlanta just fine. Limits the candidate pool pretty dramatically, but hey, Pegs f 'd it up by picking the HC first. Ooops. Unless he already knew who he had for GM (doubtful).

This is what happens when a overly rich real estate investor all of a sudden is running an actual day to day operating entity. Apple and an Orange. He had two ways to go, keep Lynn, get Gus Bradley, keep O continuity and go with Gus' 4-3 D and try to win now, or go Polian/true GM and give up the management of the team and let a true football guy rebuild the org from the top down. He did neither of these two options. Lets hope for the best. G-d help us.

Edited by jmcraig44