Mel Kiper grades Bills as top 5 draft

I think we get 3 starters, plus a first round pick next year (albeit likely a very late pick). We have some ST types who should also contribute immediately. I have heard NOTHING but positive comments about a steal in a 5th round QB, and a lot of complaints from other team's fans that they didn't take him a round or 2 (or 3) higher. My Peterman hopes are not delusional, but I'm certainly curious. These are some of the reasons I feel good about it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really a pessimistic person... but I didn't really care for our draft, but I see a lot of people talking highly of it. When I look at it, I see a meh CB, but that helped us get a 1st round pick next year so I take that as a win. I see a 3rd given up to secure a 2nd round WR who looks to have some talent, or at the very least, great production against poor competition. I see 3 picks given up to secure a guy who might be a backup OL, and at best part of a RT rotation where he might or might not be playing out of position. Then later on, it's two 220lb linebackers, and one late round QB, who by many accounts could be a solid backup, so that isn't a bad pickup in the 5th round. Am I missing something on these guys? I just feel really "meh" about this draft.

Can you guys tell me why you loved the draft so much?

I'll play.

White was Imo the 2nd best CB period, in a highly talented n deep CB class. Almost like the 2014 WR class. He's an immediate starter and is no "meh" cb. He can flat out play, and proved that for 4 years versus the best competition in the country. For u's to land him, a 3rd and 1st next year is an A++. Great instincts, ball skills, extremely versatile , great coverage skills, always turns his head while ball is in air and a natural leader. We got an absolute steal at 27. Instant starter.

Zay was arguably the 3rd best WR, and not far off from Williams /Davis imo. He's 6'2 and is super quick on his feet and with his hands , has great instincts and like White, has great leadership qualities. Not to mention a perfect compliment to Sammy Watkins. Will make defenses pay for doubling #14. I see some AJ Green in his game but that's obviously best case scenario, another instant starter.

Dawkins is a bulldog. People claim he's too short at tackle but it's all about leverage and his arm length is the ideal length for a tackle. He's quick, versatile, intelligent and I think his smaller height mixed with his arm length will be an advantage against certain pass rushers. He can be quicker to the point of attack. While I'm not yet labeling him an instant starter, I feel he will easily beat out Mills, thus giving us an absolute beast of an already dominant oline, And if he doesn't work out at RT, which again, would suprise me, we have Richies replacement at G.

Milano ,man I suggest watching some of his tape. I think he could end up being the steal of the draft . A bit undersized but still a thumper with great instincts ( see a trend here?). Above average speed and agility. I don't see him beating out Zo, Reggie or Brown but I do see him having a definitive role on this team and is much needed depth at LB.

Peterman , I'm not a huge fan of the pick because I feel Taylor is the long term answer but I don't hate it. there's no denying he was the most pro ready QB in the draft and at worse I feel we got us a young back up QB to develop and groom.

Don't know enough about our last pick to even write anything but even so , this was a home run of a draft and I agree with Kiper and McShay that it was the best draft in a LONG time...

I'll play.

White was Imo the 2nd best CB period, in a highly talented n deep CB class. Almost like the 2014 WR class. He's an immediate starter and is no "meh" cb. He can flat out play, and proved that for 4 years versus the best competition in the country. For u's to land him, a 3rd and 1st next year is an A++. Great instincts, ball skills, extremely versatile , great coverage skills, always turns his head while ball is in air and a natural leader. We got an absolute steal at 27. Instant starter.

Zay was arguably the 3rd best WR, and not far off from Williams /Davis imo. He's 6'2 and is super quick on his feet and with his hands , has great instincts and like White, has great leadership qualities. Not to mention a perfect compliment to Sammy Watkins. Will make defenses pay for doubling #14. I see some AJ Green in his game but that's obviously best case scenario, another instant starter.

Dawkins is a bulldog. People claim he's too short at tackle but it's all about leverage and his arm length is the ideal length for a tackle. He's quick, versatile, intelligent and I think his smaller height mixed with his arm length will be an advantage against certain pass rushers. He can be quicker to the point of attack. While I'm not yet labeling him an instant starter, I feel he will easily beat out Mills, thus giving us an absolute beast of an already dominant oline, And if he doesn't work out at RT, which again, would suprise me, we have Richies replacement at G.

Milano ,man I suggest watching some of his tape. I think he could end up being the steal of the draft . A bit undersized but still a thumper with great instincts ( see a trend here?). Above average speed and agility. I don't see him beating out Zo, Reggie or Brown but I do see him having a definitive role on this team and is much needed depth at LB.

Peterman , I'm not a huge fan of the pick because I feel Taylor is the long term answer but I don't hate it. there's no denying he was the most pro ready QB in the draft and at worse I feel we got us a young back up QB to develop and groom.

Don't know enough about our last pick to even write anything but even so , this was a home run of a draft and I agree with Kiper and McShay that it was the best draft in a LONG time...

Thanks for the explanation. I hope you're right on that, or even half of that, and we'll be okay.

• Question guys.. Do you think we nailed this draft because of our Long Gone GM> or cause of McDermott?

I doubt we will ever know what really happened, but Whaley and the scouts certainly had a lot to do with what looks like a very successful draft. Now, who orchestrated the trading back, then the trade ups? No idea. You have to distinguish (I think) between the draft board and the draft day strategy of moving up or down. So, in conclusion, I have zero idea.

I doubt we will ever know what really happened, but Whaley and the scouts certainly had a lot to do with what looks like a very successful draft. Now, who orchestrated the trading back, then the trade ups? No idea. You have to distinguish (I think) between the draft board and the draft day strategy of moving up or down. So, in conclusion, I have zero idea.

Crazy...

The GM finally has a good draft and now he is gone...

It seems clear that our HC had the final choice on all picks and trades, good or bad

I love the players we got

If we get 3 starters and 1 depth player that's a great draft

However IMO we didn't get enough value back in the first two deals

And we continue a pattern of trading away valuable 3rd and 4th round picks

I'd describe this draft as having chosen players for needs over BPA and Sean did a great job replacing what we lost in FA or via cuts

I'm just not sure post draft and FA we improved the on field talent from last year

jc

Buffalo Bills: A-

Top needs: Defensive back, tight end/wide receiver, offensive line

The Bills had the fewest picks headed into the draft (six, tied with Atlanta), but they were able to move down, and I like both the move and the talent added. They got a huge haul from Kansas City for dropping 17 spots in the first round, adding a third-round pick and first-round pick in 2018. The early run on quarterbacks should make Buffalo feel better about having Tyrod Taylor around for another season (at least). The Kansas City pick turned into Patrick Mahomes, a player I had rated lower than the guy the Bills got at No. 27 overall. I think the Bills got three players who could start this season. Tre'Davious White, a four-year starting cornerback at LSU, could replace Stephon Gilmore. Zay Jones, who had 158 catches last season, can step in for Robert Woods -- they're both willing blockers -- and probably outproduce him. (Are Bills fans that upset about the Woods departure?) I thought Jones was a first-round talent. In Dion Dawkins, Buffalo got my No. 2 guard, a dominant run blocker who will make the move from left tackle. He gets to the second level with ease, and it could be a great help to Taylor if the run-blocking improves. Dawkins could help the cause.

ROUND/PICK

NAME

POS

COLLEGE

1/27

Tre'Davious White

CB

LSU

2/37

Zay Jones

WR

EAST CAROLINA

2/63

Dion Dawkins

G

TEMPLE

5/163

Matt Milano

OLB

BOSTON COLLEGE

5/171

Nathan Peterman

QB

PITTSBURGH

6/195

Tanner Vallejo

OLB

BOISE STATE

Nathan Peterman could be the pick of the draft in a few years, and that's another reason why this class is rated so high. I know there are questions about a guy with average arm strength going to a spot like Buffalo, where cold and wind comes into play. But arm strength can improve in the NFL. Just look at Tom Brady and Drew Brees. With Taylor taking a pay cut to stay, I wouldn't be surprised if Peterman is the starter in a year or two.

Buffalo did well with what it had. That's four potential starters if we're including next year's No. 1. It's refreshing to see Buffalo move back and add some capital, even in the midst of a potential change in the front office.

• Question guys.. Do you think we nailed this draft because of our Long Gone GM> or cause of McDermott?

Great question. I believe McDermott was the one who orchestrated the moving back, after all he is long-time friends with Reid. Whaley has been known to reach or move up, and the draft just felt different this year. I can't remember the last time the Bills picked up an additional first round pick or received a consensus A grade from all the experts.

Thanks. I'll console myself with that while Patrick Mahomes is having a confetti shower

Mahomes is just a better version of Cardale Jones. Same strengths and weaknesses, it's just his strengths are better. He will be a long-term project like EJ was and the last time a QB like that won the Super Bowl was Aaron Rodgers who had much better mechanics coming out of college. I don't think we have to worry about Mahomes winning a Super Bowl. He's a real long shot to ever be a capable starter.

Mahomes is just a better version of Cardale Jones. Same strengths and weaknesses, it's just his strengths are better. He will be a long-term project like EJ was and the last time a QB like that won the Super Bowl was Aaron Rodgers who had much better mechanics coming out of college. I don't think we have to worry about Mahomes winning a Super Bowl. He's a real long shot to ever be a capable starter.

:lol: Reminds me of the fans here saying Dak was a Tebow before last draft.

Edited by jeffismagic

:lol: Reminds me of the fans here saying Dak was a Tebow before last draft.

I'm sure it does remind you of that since you would love to be right on this. I wasn't here for the last draft so I don't know what comparisons people were making so ill take your word for it. But you know, considering Dak has had one good year so far maybe he really is a Tebow? One-year wonder who fit in a system at the right time. It's certainly possible. Maybe don't laugh at the comparison yet. Either way making the connection from that to Mahomes doesn't make sense. He's got arm strength and moxie, and that's all right now.