McDermott preaches character & integrity.

Character and integrity.

While in cahoots with new owner, dick over your new GM while the entire civilized world looks on ... after convincing said new owner to hire your old GM.

Yes. Character and integrity, indeed.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope there was no collusion with Carolina's Asst GM Brandon Beane during the draft. If so I would find that VERY hypocritical and I for one would not want him to become the new GM of the Bills. Talk about having trust issues!

He will need to practice on how to acquire talent because if he keep picking players with marginal talent ie: White,a second tier CB in a deep CB draft, when he could have Rueben Foster at 27 ( or trading two picks for a second tier WR and trading two picks for a second tier guard/tackle he and his rubberstamp GM will get run out of here fast as Chip Kelly who had far more credentials as a coordinator. I think we will get the 20yrs with out making the playoffs with this joke of a rubber stamp front office.

Edited by liverpoolkev

I was listening to NFL radio this morning while dropping my daughter off at school and they were talking with the Packers 1st round pick and he said he had no idea GB was interested in him. He had 11 pre draft visits and none of them were with the Packers. He only talked with GB at the combine.

Happens all the time. Teams bring in players for visits and then draft other players.

I don't think the Bills did anything wrong with the draft.

i think you are discounting how much scouting is done on the players. We have NFL scouts here watching freshmen in practice at Ohio state regularly, like down to how they prepare for practice. I also have a relative in an NFL FO for almost 20 years. Weekly Scouting meetings are with the actual heads of college scouting and coaches, not each and every area scout. They give their info to their directors. The board I'm referring to is the initial ranking of players based on position and where they think they will go per round. Not sure if you are focused on a team's actual final draft board, which isn't necessary to know ... that if the Bills want Zay Jones, had known he's going in the 2nd, and know the Panthers had him ranked as their 4th best WR or higher they better jump up if they want him. McD hired his WR coach due to the exposure he likely had to the Panthers throughout the scouting process. While I appreciate the articles you read about when the actual draft boards are "set" for different teams ... the info isn't actually created at that time. The info has been discussed tirelessly and it is indeed for years.

The question is how much room the Panthers had between Zay and Curt. If it was a lot they would have tried to move up to the top of the 2nd to get him too. I don't think it was. I also don't know if they would have taken Dawkins instead of Moton. All they knew is they wanted those players and they knew the Panthers were very high on them, and they projected to go in those areas of the draft. If they wanted to make sure they got them they needed to move up.

Again I'm not trying to argue I'm just explaining how I know this stuff works ... narratives are being created out of lack of info on this board. What any of this has to do with character and integrity as the OP suggests is beyond me.

Great post. Interesting stuff.

I thought this did a very good job of explaining why McDermott wouldn't need to know Carolina's final draft board to know he may have needed to jump them to ensure that he got the player he wanted.

I still think this whole thing about a leaked draft board is ridiculous anyway. Teams jump other teams all the time because they have nothing more than an inkling that team might take the player they want. Where as McDermott had much more inside knowledge of the team he was jumping, who they scouted, who they liked (etc), than is usually the case.

Great post. Interesting stuff.

I thought this did a very good job of explaining why McDermott wouldn't need to know Carolina's final draft board to know he may have needed to jump them to ensure that he got the player he wanted.

I still think this whole thing about a leaked draft board is ridiculous anyway. Teams jump other teams all the time because they have nothing more than an inkling that team might take the player they want. Where as McDermott had much more inside knowledge of the team he was jumping, who they scouted, who they liked (etc), than is usually the case.

it is also very common and expected for Beane to be taking all the knowledge they have about pro scouting and upcoming college scouting with him from Carolina. So while he is still building out his staff, he's not exactly starting from scratch.

He will need to practice on how to acquire talent because if he keep picking players with marginal talent ie: White,a second tier CB in a deep CB draft, when he could have Rueben Foster at 27 ( or trading two picks for a second tier WR and trading two picks for a second tier guard/tackle he and his rubberstamp GM will get run out of here fast as Chip Kelly who had far more credentials as a coordinator. I think we will get the 20yrs with out making the playoffs with this joke of a rubber stamp front office.

Ahem

White was considered the TOP cover corner in the draft which we drafted and got a 1st rouder the following year...that is PART of that draft pick even though you left it out

Foster might miss this whole season due to his injury.....and this is on a shoulder that has ALREADY been operated on

Will have to see on these other draft picks.....got anything else? I got that "I luv McD" tee shirt on the mail to ya!

:)

you come on a bit too strong...you know that right?