Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Yes but its exception to the rule. When one guy reports to the other (i.e. coach to GM or GM to coach) then we know they will be going in ONE direction, provided the hiring one did a good job. But splitting power like this does 2 things - 1) intentionally create room for power struggle and conflict and 2) makes Pegulas the hands-on manager that he has obviously said multiple times he isn't interested in. This is why he was looking for a football "czar" to oversea the team operations earlier on in the first year or so. This way, he has one guy to talk to, not 2 when it comes to on-field performance, and be more of an over-seer versus being actively involved in managerial decision-making which, as a non-football guy, isn't qualified to. See Snyder as reference.

That's not necessarily true. Common direction can be shared between individuals where there doesn't need to be a "tie-breaker" one level above. Steelers employed this dynamic between Cowher and Colbert in Pittsburgh(even though Colbert wasn't technically GM at the time, but closest to one they had), and the way Pat Kirwan tells it, the Rooney's refused to intervene and insisted they work it out until they reach consensus. And while Cowher was great coach in his time, he wasn't tremendously experienced when he landed that gig.

The direct report approach can also lead to resentment and dissension just as easily as it can lead to success. The boss can be wrong.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was comfortable moving down and setting himself up to make a big splash next year. Hes not getting fired after this year so why not stock up for the draft next year.... Its pretty simple this structure in an organization does not overwhemingly work

This is what is called talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You can't say that McDermott has no long term vision when the Bills just ran the most focused, disciplined, and strategic draft in forever. This organization was absolutely reckless and lacked any semblance of long term planning under Whaley and it dates much further back than Rex Ryan.

They are going to bring in a GM who sees eye to eye with the HC and who will work with him to build a team in a way that they can agree on. Do you think McDermott waited all this time to become a HC and choose the Bills job just to try to put some band aids on it to get this team into the playoffs early on? I don't. They are rebuilding, maybe not from sctratch, but they are absolutely rebuilding(as they should be).

Beane interviewed in SF earlier this year and is in line for the Carolina job soon when Gettleman retires. He's not coming here to be McDermott's errand boy. He would be coming here to be a part of management team, much like all successful organizations have.

Now I'm not saying that this is a full proof plan for success. It could easily go the way of Mike Nolan in SF(he was GM of the 49ers while he was a first time coach) or McDaniels/Xanders in Denver. But IMO this is better than going out and finding a young GM and asking him to run everything autonomously. BTW, those situations haved failed famously also(Pioli in KC, Savage in CLE).

Around The NFL Retweeted

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Lesean McCoy

Veach was with the Eagles when McCoy was drafted.

Mike Garafolo added,

Lesean McCoyVerified account @CutonDime25

Brett Veach is our man Brett Veach is our guy ...!!!!!!!

0 replies2 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Around The NFL Retweeted

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Lesean McCoy

Veach was with the Eagles when McCoy was drafted.

Mike Garafolo added,

Lesean McCoyVerified account @CutonDime25
Brett Veach is our man Brett Veach is our guy ...!!!!!!!
0 replies2 retweets2 likes
Retweet

We know who Shady favors as GM.

Using your paradigm of McDermott as a power hungry, win-now coach with no vision for the future, explain trading back for a future 1st round pick.

I said before the draft if we were going to just fill needs we should trade back from ten as players in the 20s similar to what was at ten.

McDermott was taking Lattimore at ten. He gets teams calling for Mahomes and figures he can get a similar player and an extra pick to fill needs next year.

Trades back and takes...a corner.

Then gives away picks to get a possession WR and RT to check off more needs.

Everything I said about McDermott happened. It fits together perfectly. Even the QB drafted was a coach pick.

Hiring Brandon Beane is the most logical choice, a GM who understands the coaches vision and who to target!

I wonder if he's leaning heavily one way (or even decided in his own mind), or if he's checking off the boxes for the owner (and to some lesser degree himself) and just.....going through the process.

I wonder if he's leaning heavily one way (or even decided in his own mind), or if he's checking off the boxes for the owner (and to some lesser degree himself) and just.....going through the process.

The process is the process, trust the process and process the process.

Guest NeckBeard

I said before the draft if we were going to just fill needs we should trade back from ten as players in the 20s similar to what was at ten.

McDermott was taking Lattimore at ten. He gets teams calling for Mahomes and figures he can get a similar player and an extra pick to fill needs next year.

Trades back and takes...a corner.

Then gives away picks to get a possession WR and RT to check off more needs.

Everything I said about McDermott happened. It fits together perfectly. Even the QB drafted was a coach pick.

You know, I have rolled my eyes at you many times, but I think that you have the right idea of where things stand with regards to this draft, in particular given how the org structure looks currently. While the draft made sense to me, and I dig that the Bills have another first rounder next year, one wonders what will happen when an unproven HC is suddenly the dominant voice in the product that they field. I like the McD hire, but am shocked at how fast he's ascended.