RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

....so where do you see Peterman ending up?......hard to say without OTA's and pre-season, but if he shows, then what?................

Im am envisioning him as the backup clip holder (that is UNLESS C. Jones makes a big jump from last year to this)

I just dont really know what we have in Peterman.....but we do know that he is a McD pick

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....so where do you see Peterman ending up?......hard to say without OTA's and pre-season, but if he shows, then what?................

I'd see Peterman in Cardale's spot from last year, as the 3rd QB behind a vet and probably inactive on game day. Obviously, we have a long way to go and a lot to see first, but that's my guess.

I'd see Peterman in Cardale's spot from last year, as the 3rd QB behind a vet and probably inactive on game day. Obviously, we have a long way to go and a lot to see first, but that's my guess.

..still see Peterman having a helluva better upside than Jones based on collegiate experience alone for starters.....

Let me say that I wish Peterman great success because it would be great for the Bills if he somehow blossomed into an elite QB. But before going all daffodils about him, you really should watch, say, three of his games from last year. Not highlights but the full games. Pick one from September, one from late October and one in December. Watch them closely then tell us if you think he's got "it."

..still see Peterman having a helluva better upside than Jones based on collegiate experience alone for starters.....

Cardale has the physical tools, Peterman has the other stuff. We need some "mad scientist" activity. We can make them one! Is that against the CBA?

And you've been posting throughout this thread, and it even caused you to start another Taylor thread shortly after the draft. 41 pages in, and you are still dismissing the idea that this kid could eventually unseat Taylor...as if what he has done in his six years in the league is something that cannot be outdone.

You're clearly upset about this pick, and anyone who likes what they see in the kid.

I'm actually becoming worried about what's going to become of you when Taylor doesn't improve and the Bills move on.

Wow... swing and a miss.

Crusher, every single sentence you just wrote is just plain wrong.

I believe Peterman is a place holder, picked to shut off criticism about the QB situation. If he is elevated to the starter's role, it will be strictly because he's "McD's guy" and TT is DW's. I watched nearly every Pitt game last year and there's no way NP is half the QB TT is right now. If McDermott goes with Peterman, it would indicate it's complete rebuild time or that McD is as insane as he looks.

Gruden and Kiper would not be my go-to authorities on QBs.

What about Todd McShay ;)?

I watched some of NPs games and what I like about him is that he can actually (quickly) spot the wide open guy! This is something that has eluded TT so far for some reason.

NP does not stare down receivers, appears quick and decisive in his read progressions, knows when to protect and when to run, not turnover prone. He also appears confident and decisive.

On the down side his throwing motion and arm strength are not so great. Still I like the guy- maybe he can turn into something with some strength and technique coaching.

What about Todd McShay ;)?

I watched some of NPs games and what I like about him is that he can actually (quickly) spot the wide open guy! This is something that has eluded TT so far for some reason.

NP does not stare down receivers, appears quick and decisive in his read progressions, knows when to protect and when to run, not turnover prone. He also appears confident and decisive.

On the down side his throwing motion and arm strength are not so great. Still I like the guy- maybe he can turn into something with some strength and technique coaching.

Arm strength can improve. Pocket presence and accuracy are hard to change and Peterson has both. I think he will surprise a lot of people. Cardale will look the part throwing it through the drywall but from what I have heard, he is not very accurate.

I think it was strictly on phyical attributes.....which are young Ben R. like

I think it also had a lot to do with the Bills needing a QB. Doug Whaley said a few times before the draft that he had to add a QB, "just by a sheer numbers perspective", and I believe he had decided before the draft that he was taking a QB at some point.

From what we can gather, they had a number of QBs higher on their board than Cardale. Then all of those QBs went off the board before Whaley drafted one in the 4th. Had Oakland not traded up for Cook, Dallas would have taken him, likely leaving Dak there for Buffalo. But Cook went off the board in the 3rd and Dallas then grabbed Dak in the 4th, and Cardale was basically the highest QB left on the Bills board, so I think that's a big reason why they took him.

Arm strength can improve. Pocket presence and accuracy are hard to change and Peterson has both. I think he will surprise a lot of people. Cardale will look the part throwing it through the drywall but from what I have heard, he is not very accurate.

That's exactly how I feel as well. Arm strength will improve, accuracy is something you have or you don't. I'm not saying it's impossible to improve accuracy, it's just not as easy as improving arm strength IMO. I see much more upside in NP than Jones because of this and because of the system NP played in.

I just got back from vacation. There was a large group of Steelers fans at the resort I stayed at. I asked them about this kid and they said he's for real. They were hoping the Steelers would draft him to take over for Big Ben when he retires. Don't know much about him but check out his throwing motion on deep balls. Looks like Brees. Didn't the scouts say he lacked the arm strength to be a starter in the NFL too?

Gregg Gabriel from Pro Football Weekly.....One of my favorite picks by the Bills is quarterback Nate Peterman from Pitt. Peterman played in a pro style offense at Pitt and spent considerable time playing form under center. He is bright, alert and instinctive. I predict that he will be the Bills starter in 2018.....http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/05/04/greg-gabriel-which-afc-club-had-the-best-2017-nfl-draft-in-each-division/aq9ghn3/

Cardale has the physical tools, Peterman has the other stuff. We need some "mad scientist" activity. We can make them one! Is that against the CBA?

"We need some "mad scientist" activity."

You mean a brain transplant of a Peterman brain on a Jones body?

Gregg Gabriel from Pro Football Weekly..... I predict that he will be the Bills starter in 2018.....http://www.profootballweekly.com/2017/05/04/greg-gabriel-which-afc-club-had-the-best-2017-nfl-draft-in-each-division/aq9ghn3/

"I predict that he will be the Bills starter in 2018"

2018 just might be the year Brady might be starting to slide a bit because of age.

I think it was strictly on phyical attributes.....which are young Ben R. like

....huge difference....Ben was a three year starter at Miami of Ohio.....854/1034 or 65.5% completion rate for 10,829 yards....Jones 166/269 @ 61.7% for 2,322 yards....

....huge difference....Ben was a three year starter at Miami of Ohio.....854/1034 or 65.5% completion rate for 10,829 yards....Jones 166/269 @ 61.7% for 2,322 yards....

Oh, indubitably! It was clear he was a project. It seemed to be Whaley's philosophy to draft QB who "look like you want your QB to look" and hope they could be developed mentally.

Oh, indubitably! It was clear he was a project. It seemed to be Whaley's philosophy to draft QB who "look like you want your QB to look" and hope they could be developed mentally.

....uh oh....sounds too much like the "EJ Model"..........what's worse bud is that their #1 choice was Gnome Smith until they flew down for interview/workout....consensus on plane ride home was, "uh no thanks"....hence EJ was "second fiddle ".....(with some broken strings).....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy