Top NFL QB Prospects for 2018

PIZ

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Mayfield versus Rudolph.......which way do you go and why (I don't get to see college ball)?......thanks for info.................

Watched every game this season for both guys.  Both bring good things to the table.  I actually like both in a lot of ways, but I am taking Mayfield of the 2.  Rudolph throws a lot of nice balls, especially the deep ball, but everything he has done in out of shotgun.  Also, for a guy his size, his arm, while good enough, isn't as big as I would expect for someone that big.  However, I am one to believe you can get a stronger arm over time and with the right coaching, I think he could be a good one.

Mayfield on the other hand is obviously a much smaller guy, but he does have enough arm strength to make all the necessary throws.  Obviously height is a bit of a concern, but if you watch him, there is not an area of the field he cann't see, or avoids because of it.  He throws it all over every part of the field and is super accurate.  He's not afraid to challenge a defense deep and will hang in the pocket until the last possible moment to make a play.  While not a speedster or the most elusive guy in the world, he can move a little bit.  Love his passion and intensity.  You can just tell he loves it and that's the kind of guy I want leading my team.  Immature at times.....yes.  But if he can learn to channel his passion in the right way, he's a guy you'll want leading your team. 

Honestly, when I watch Mayfield, I see all the makings of the next Drew Brees.  Accurate, strong enough arm, and can sling it all over the field despite his size.  I know some won't agree, but I see him as a guy that will start flying up boards and go a lot earlier than some believe.  Some see him as a late first or even second rounder.  I bet before it's over he goes top 15......maybe even top 10.  I think he is just going to fly up the board.

Would I rather have Rosen or Darnold?  Yes.....but Mayfield might be my number 3 guy right now.  If he's not, he may get that high before the draft.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s 1000% Mayfield for me. I don’t think Rudolph is a 1st round player. 

...help me out because I said I don't get to see college ball......Rudolph certainly has the size......what are the negatives that steer you clear of him?........how do his positives stack up to Mayfield?........

4 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Watched every game this season for both guys.  Both bring good things to the table.  I actually like both in a lot of ways, but I am taking Mayfield of the 2.  Rudolph throws a lot of nice balls, especially the deep ball, but everything he has done in out of shotgun.  Also, for a guy his size, his arm, while good enough, isn't as big as I would expect for someone that big.  However, I am one to believe you can get a stronger arm over time and with the right coaching, I think he could be a good one.

Mayfield on the other hand is obviously a much smaller guy, but he does have enough arm strength to make all the necessary throws.  Obviously height is a bit of a concern, but if you watch him, there is not an area of the field he cann't see, or avoids because of it.  He throws it all over every part of the field and is super accurate.  He's not afraid to challenge a defense deep and will hang in the pocket until the last possible moment to make a play.  While not a speedster or the most elusive guy in the world, he can move a little bit.  Love his passion and intensity.  You can just tell he loves it and that's the kind of guy I want leading my team.  Immature at times.....yes.  But if he can learn to channel his passion in the right way, he's a guy you'll want leading your team. 

Honestly, when I watch Mayfield, I see all the makings of the next Drew Brees.  Accurate, strong enough arm, and can sling it all over the field despite his size.  I know some won't agree, but I see him as a guy that will start flying up boards and go a lot earlier than some believe.  Some see him as a late first or even second rounder.  I bet before it's over he goes top 15......maybe even top 10.  I think he is just going to fly up the board.

Would I rather have Rosen or Darnold?  Yes.....but Mayfield might be my number 3 guy right now.  If he's not, he may get that high before the draft.

....thanks a million for the assessment...MUCH appreciated.....:thumbsup:.......from what I've read, Mayfield's "poor judgments" have tabbed him potentially as Chad Kelly II....as far as Rudolph and the shotgun, is that the same fear as the collegiate spread or Air Raid that has you concerned?....a guy like Mariotta seems to be making the transition steadily..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

Mayfield just made 3 back to back to back throws against TCU that were NFL caliber.  The first one he eluded a ton of pressure in the pocket, kept his eyes downfield and stuck a throw into his WR along the sideline.  The next was a real stron pass over the middle between 2 defenders.  And then, he caps a drive with a beautiful play action pass from under center for a TD.  Pretty much everything you want to see from a QB in 3 pass plays.

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...help me out because I said I don't get to see college ball......Rudolph certainly has the size......what are the negatives that steer you clear of him?........how do his positives stack up to Mayfield?........

....thanks a million for the assessment...MUCH appreciated.....:thumbsup:.......from what I've read, Mayfield's "poor judgments" have tabbed him potentially as Chad Kelly II....as far as Rudolph and the shotgun, is that the same fear as the collegiate spread or Air Raid that has you concerned?....a guy like Mariotta seems to be making the transition steadily..........

I would classify Mayfield's "poor judgements" as just that.  I think it is more immaturity than anything else.  In a vacuum, I don't think they are all that big of a deal.  Should he be doing some of the stuff he's doing?  Of course not.  But they are not the type of actions that alienate his team.  In fact, I think you could make the argument that his teammates love him even more.  If you watched his last game where he was benched for the first few series, his teammates couldn't wait for him to get in there.  The fans were chanting his make and were so pumped when he came in.  Immature at times, yes.....but man....his teammates love him and will follow him anywhere.  That's what I want in a QB.

23 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I would classify Mayfield's "poor judgements" as just that.  I think it is more immaturity than anything else.  In a vacuum, I don't think they are all that big of a deal.  Should he be doing some of the stuff he's doing?  Of course not.  But they are not the type of actions that alienate his team.  In fact, I think you could make the argument that his teammates love him even more.  If you watched his last game where he was benched for the first few series, his teammates couldn't wait for him to get in there.  The fans were chanting his make and were so pumped when he came in.  Immature at times, yes.....but man....his teammates love him and will follow him anywhere.  That's what I want in a QB.

....certainly will be interesting to see if those judgments are taken into consideration by McD as a good fit in his "high character culture".....stay tuned..........

51 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

He’s a limited athlete that has great receivers and plays in a great system for a QB. He’s still never won anything. His accuracy is overrated too. His style just feels antiquated to me. I don’t remember the last good QB drafted that couldn’t make plays in AND out of the pocket. The game has evolved. I will be surprised if he goes in round 1.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s a limited athlete that has great receivers and plays in a great system for a QB. He’s still never won anything. His accuracy is overrated too. His style just feels antiquated to me. I don’t remember the last good QB drafted that couldn’t make plays in AND out of the pocket. The game has evolved. I will be surprised if he goes in round 1.

....hell then, he'd be a PERFECT fit for Dennison's vaunted "system", right?.........:D

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Wanna bet?  I guarantee he goes in the first round.....  Not only that, he probably goes in the top half of the first round.  If you have actually watched this Championship game today against TCU, he is showing everything you want in a QB.  Pocket awareness, accuracy, deep balls, and the ability to take off and run.  He has been incredible today.  And his accuracy is overrated?  Are you serious?  He is almost a 70% passer.  Every QB misses throws, bit not many can complete almost 70% of their passes.  He is like Top 10 in NCAA history in accuracy.

Ha ha, you don’t even know what you are talking about!! I love Baker Mayfield. I don’t like Mason Rudolph. 

giphy.gif

Obviously there was a lot of confusion as to who everyone was talking about in the last few posts.  To keep the board coherent, I have cleaned it up and made sure everyone is on the same page. 

In the end, what it comes down to if there is still any confusion, is that we all like Mayfield a lot more than Rudolph.  We all think that Mayfield could be a special player in the NFL if he gets his head on straight and gets into the right situation.  This Championship game has been a good example of what he can be capable of at the next level. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Obviously there was a lot of confusion as to who everyone was talking about in the last few posts.  To keep the board coherent, I have cleaned it up and made sure everyone is on the same page. 

In the end, what it comes down to if there is still any confusion, is that we all like Mayfield a lot more than Rudolph.  We all think that Mayfield could be a special player in the NFL if he gets his head on straight and gets into the right situation.  This Championship game has been a good example of what he can be capable of at the next level. 

...so as some suggested that Rudolph may fall to the 2nd, would you go OL/DL or DL/OL with the two 1sts and look for Rudolph in the 2nd?.......much debate about his skill set versus Mayfield but he does have size and is devoid of Mayfield indiscretions which may not fit the "McD mold"...you'd potentially fill three voids with your top three picks....thoughts?.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

24 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I want to see Mayfield at the combine , his height and hand size. If that is ok he would need a very good OL in the NFL  imo. I do like him.

54 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so as some suggested that Rudolph may fall to the 2nd, would you go OL/DL or DL/OL with the two 1sts and look for Rudolph in the 2nd?.......much debate about his skill set versus Mayfield but he does have size and is devoid of Mayfield indiscretions which may not fit the "McD mold"...you'd potentially fill three voids with your top three picks....thoughts?.......

You wouldn’t be filling the biggest void IMO because Rudolph isn’t the guy. Get the guy and worry about everything else after.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched almost every game of Darnold and he just seems to have lost his swagger this year. If you flipped his freshman and sophomore seasons he would be the top pick hands down. However I think he should go back to school and improve on his turnovers and timing with receivers.

I'm all in on Mayfield.

21 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You wouldn’t be filling the biggest void IMO because Rudolph isn’t the guy. Get the guy and worry about everything else after.

I was talking about this with a friend today who said they shouldn't waste a bunch of draft picks trying to trade up for a QB.

I'm so sick and tired of treating draft picks like gold.  I"m tired of treating the off-season like the most important part of the year.  I honestly don't care if they have to pull a Ricky Williams type trade deal with San Fran to get up and draft one of these top guys (to me it's Rosen and Mayfield).  Whatever it takes, get it done THIS year.  The drafts will work work themselves out after that.

• Like (+1) 2

Chris Trapasso: 2018 NFL Draft QB Stock Watch: Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold win conference titles

Mayfield, Darnold had high-efficiency games to lead their teams to respective conference title game wins

Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold took advantage of their opportunity to showcase their talents without the other top quarterback prospects on the field over the weekend. 

While Mayfield didn't need to do much while Oklahoma cruised to victory over TCU, he definitely didn't have a bad game, and Darnold connected on a variety of downfield passes, chunk plays that were ultimately the difference in the Trojans' thrilling win over Stanford. 

Here's a look at the updated stocks of the draft's top signal-caller prospects.  

On December 3, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I watched almost every game of Darnold and he just seems to have lost his swagger this year. If you flipped his freshman and sophomore seasons he would be the top pick hands down. However I think he should go back to school and improve on his turnovers and timing with receivers.

I'm all in on Mayfield.

He reminds me of a guy I kept hearing about a few years back that was going to be one overall, went back to school and sucked and fell off the radar.  His name was Jay Clocker and I'm not even sure if he got drafted.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.